XP Pro Repair & Product Key problems after Adware clearout

Where to start...

My son's laptop has been suffering pop-ups and slow
running and running Symantec Antivirus found several
Adware programs such as Blazefind, Binet and Cydoor etc.
I spent some time clearing them out, finding and running
uninstaller programs etc. Unfortunately when I rebooted
the system - Win XP Pro - goes through the motions of
allowing me to login via the icons/password but
immediately "saves settings" and logs back out again.
Safe mode doesn't help, and neither does use of Admin
profile...

Elsewhere on web forums I found a reference that
indicated that one of the uninstallers caused a login
file/registry entry to become corrupted or contain an
incorrect value and the course of action recommended was
to undertake an XP Repair Installation which I gather
will NOT impact my disk data and apps settings.

Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
this process following instructions provided (see link
below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.

Everything was going well for about 30 minutes until the
system asked for the 25 digit Product Licence Id. I used
the one listed on the CD case and received the error
message "The Product Id entered is not valid" so I
thought the system wanted the Id number for the Laptop
installation. This is stuck on the base of the laptop so
I tried that - still no luck ! So now I am stuck
wondering where to go/what to do with the laptop asking
for a valid id code.

Any geniuses out there know what I should do ?

If I remove the CD and close the system down - not very
eligantly I assume - will it trash the build and cause
me/my son to lose the data on the hard disk (don't want
to go there !) ?

Your help guidance will be gratefully recieved.

Rog

http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?
t=22715&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warn
ing2
3 answers Last reply
More about repair product problems adware clearout

    Rog wrote:
    > Where to start...
    >
    > My son's laptop has been suffering pop-ups and slow
    > running and running Symantec Antivirus found several
    > Adware programs such as Blazefind, Binet and Cydoor etc.
    > I spent some time clearing them out, finding and running
    > uninstaller programs etc. Unfortunately when I rebooted
    > the system - Win XP Pro - goes through the motions of
    > allowing me to login via the icons/password but
    > immediately "saves settings" and logs back out again.
    > Safe mode doesn't help, and neither does use of Admin
    > profile...
    >
    > Elsewhere on web forums I found a reference that
    > indicated that one of the uninstallers caused a login
    > file/registry entry to become corrupted or contain an
    > incorrect value and the course of action recommended was
    > to undertake an XP Repair Installation which I gather
    > will NOT impact my disk data and apps settings.
    >
    > Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
    > this process following instructions provided (see link
    > below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
    > available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.
    >
    > Everything was going well for about 30 minutes until the
    > system asked for the 25 digit Product Licence Id. I used
    > the one listed on the CD case and received the error
    > message "The Product Id entered is not valid" so I
    > thought the system wanted the Id number for the Laptop
    > installation. This is stuck on the base of the laptop so
    > I tried that - still no luck ! So now I am stuck
    > wondering where to go/what to do with the laptop asking
    > for a valid id code.
    >
    > Any geniuses out there know what I should do ?
    >
    > If I remove the CD and close the system down - not very
    > eligantly I assume - will it trash the build and cause
    > me/my son to lose the data on the hard disk (don't want
    > to go there !) ?
    >
    > Your help guidance will be gratefully recieved.
    >
    > Rog
    >
    > http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?
    > t=22715&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warn
    > ing2

    Get the original CD or start anew with a brand new CD.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "Rog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
    > this process following instructions provided (see link
    > below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
    > available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.

    Retail and OEM codes are different. An OEM code won't work on a Retail
    version of XP I believe.
  3. Quote:

    "Rog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
    > this process following instructions provided (see link
    > below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
    > available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.

    Retail and OEM codes are different. An OEM code won't work on a Retail
    version of XP I believe.

    what is a retail oem codes

Windows XP