XP Pro Repair & Product Key problems after Adware clearout

Where to start...

My son's laptop has been suffering pop-ups and slow
running and running Symantec Antivirus found several
Adware programs such as Blazefind, Binet and Cydoor etc.
I spent some time clearing them out, finding and running
uninstaller programs etc. Unfortunately when I rebooted
the system - Win XP Pro - goes through the motions of
allowing me to login via the icons/password but
immediately "saves settings" and logs back out again.
Safe mode doesn't help, and neither does use of Admin
profile...

Elsewhere on web forums I found a reference that
indicated that one of the uninstallers caused a login
file/registry entry to become corrupted or contain an
incorrect value and the course of action recommended was
to undertake an XP Repair Installation which I gather
will NOT impact my disk data and apps settings.

Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
this process following instructions provided (see link
below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.

Everything was going well for about 30 minutes until the
system asked for the 25 digit Product Licence Id. I used
the one listed on the CD case and received the error
message "The Product Id entered is not valid" so I
thought the system wanted the Id number for the Laptop
installation. This is stuck on the base of the laptop so
I tried that - still no luck ! So now I am stuck
wondering where to go/what to do with the laptop asking
for a valid id code.

Any geniuses out there know what I should do ?

If I remove the CD and close the system down - not very
eligantly I assume - will it trash the build and cause
me/my son to lose the data on the hard disk (don't want
to go there !) ?

Your help guidance will be gratefully recieved.

Rog

http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?
t=22715&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warn
ing2

Rog wrote:
> Where to start...
>
> My son's laptop has been suffering pop-ups and slow
> running and running Symantec Antivirus found several
> Adware programs such as Blazefind, Binet and Cydoor etc.
> I spent some time clearing them out, finding and running
> uninstaller programs etc. Unfortunately when I rebooted
> the system - Win XP Pro - goes through the motions of
> allowing me to login via the icons/password but
> immediately "saves settings" and logs back out again.
> Safe mode doesn't help, and neither does use of Admin
> profile...
>
> Elsewhere on web forums I found a reference that
> indicated that one of the uninstallers caused a login
> file/registry entry to become corrupted or contain an
> incorrect value and the course of action recommended was
> to undertake an XP Repair Installation which I gather
> will NOT impact my disk data and apps settings.
>
> Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
> this process following instructions provided (see link
> below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
> available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.
>
> Everything was going well for about 30 minutes until the
> system asked for the 25 digit Product Licence Id. I used
> the one listed on the CD case and received the error
> message "The Product Id entered is not valid" so I
> thought the system wanted the Id number for the Laptop
> installation. This is stuck on the base of the laptop so
> I tried that - still no luck ! So now I am stuck
> wondering where to go/what to do with the laptop asking
> for a valid id code.
>
> Any geniuses out there know what I should do ?
>
> If I remove the CD and close the system down - not very
> eligantly I assume - will it trash the build and cause
> me/my son to lose the data on the hard disk (don't want
> to go there !) ?
>
> Your help guidance will be gratefully recieved.
>
> Rog
>
> http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?
> t=22715&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warn
> ing2

Get the original CD or start anew with a brand new CD.

--
<- Shenan ->

"Rog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
> this process following instructions provided (see link
> below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
> available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.

Retail and OEM codes are different. An OEM code won't work on a Retail
version of XP I believe.

rodneyrdee

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

"Rog" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Throwing caution to the wind I went ahead and started
> this process following instructions provided (see link
> below) and using an XP Pro SP1 CD that I had readily
> available - NOT the CD provided with my Son's laptop.

Retail and OEM codes are different. An OEM code won't work on a Retail
version of XP I believe.
what is a retail oem codes