3.2GhzP4prescott w/ Zalman CNPS7700-Cu idle 49-55C typical?

zoglog

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I currently have a Socket 478 P4 3.2 Ghz Prescott
Revision D0
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2058577/search...ntium+4

And a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Heatsink/fan
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=5049939/search=zalman

Since I've installed the fan i've been getting idle temps of around 49-55 degrees C. I haven't really checked it out but I've noticed that many of my games stutter. I was wondering if maybe my heatsink Isn't on properly or I applied the thermal paste incorrectly? I tightened the screws as tight as I could so i'm not sure if that's a normal idle temp. My MB's idle temp is around 30 C

Besides that here is my other specs

Asus P4P800S
BFG Geforce 6800 OC
512MB Corsair PC 3200
512MB Geil PC 3200

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I currently have a Socket 478 P4 3.2 Ghz Prescott
Revision D0
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2058577/search...ntium+4

And a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Heatsink/fan
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=5049939/search=zalman

Since I've installed the fan i've been getting idle temps of around 49-55 degrees C. I haven't really checked it out but I've noticed that many of my games stutter. I was wondering if maybe my heatsink Isn't on properly or I applied the thermal paste incorrectly? I tightened the screws as tight as I could so i'm not sure if that's a normal idle temp. My MB's idle temp is around 30 C

Besides that here is my other specs

Asus P4P800S
BFG Geforce 6800 OC
512MB Corsair PC 3200
512MB Geil PC 3200

No It's not Your Fault, You have to come to know That The Processer(CPU) you have is a Prescott. And the Socket 478 P4 3.2 Ghz Prescott is the worst Intel Pentium 4 there ever was. I feel so sad for you right now. Even the Intel Fanboys must agree with me. That the computer you have is the worst of the worst

zoglog

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
hmm, sucks, is it possible the high temps are causing the framerate drops in quake 4?

If so I'm considering just dumping this system alltogether on somone else and getting a Pentium D 805 and OCing it. Whadya think?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
hmm, sucks, is it possible the high temps are causing the framerate drops in quake 4?

If so I'm considering just dumping this system alltogether on somone else and getting a Pentium D 805 and OCing it. Whadya think?

Absolutely, the Pentium 4 which you have is the Worst CPU ever Produced, The reason was the Heatissues. People were getting ranges from 65-85*C on stock cooling.

Don't Dump that system If you are thinking about getting a new one get it then Just keep that "Prescott" system safely stored somewhere. Because i bet my Silver Dollar that This CPU will become a collecters item sooner or later.

Or keep that system inside a Freezer and make it Fold for team #40051 for

FOLDING@HOME< You should join up. Read the Article in the Fourm on top

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
The fact is, yes, we can all agree that the Prescott was not the best processor. With that Zalman fan, you should not be running that high. I had a prescott and although it was a socket 775, it idled much lower than yours is. I'm curious about the case and fan setup you have. Perhaps the case doesn't have good airflow or maybe the case fans aren't enough to move the air around.

I'll admit that the prescotts do generate more heat however, they should not idle that high IMO. Yes, they are made to handle heat but i've built hundreds of those machines and never had a problem like that especially using zalman fans.

xcetera

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
My system is similar to yours. I am running a 3.2 Prescott on a Asus PC4800-E, the cooler is the CNPS7700-Cu. CPU at idle is 44-45 centigrade. Try to blow out the case and fans every once in a while. I noticed that temps were climbing and found alot of dust in the box.

It's getting long in the tooth, I'm holding out until the fall to replace it with a Conroe (Core Duo) system.

zoglog

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
The fact is, yes, we can all agree that the Prescott was not the best processor. With that Zalman fan, you should not be running that high. I had a prescott and although it was a socket 775, it idled much lower than yours is. I'm curious about the case and fan setup you have. Perhaps the case doesn't have good airflow or maybe the case fans aren't enough to move the air around.

I'll admit that the prescotts do generate more heat however, they should not idle that high IMO. Yes, they are made to handle heat but i've built hundreds of those machines and never had a problem like that especially using zalman fans.

well I have a relatively old lian li case (around 4 years old now) that has decent airflow where the cpu is, I have left the case open at times but it still lingers around 45 degrees. I need to clear the dust from the zalman quite often though. I decided to OC it to 3.36Ghz today and while playing quake 4 It was hitting around 59-61 C. I have an Antec P180b case I just won at e3 so I was wondering if it would be worth it just to start from scratch and the 805 D article enticed me. I just don't want to move this system to my new case and just end up changing it a month from now and having to throw it back into my lian li. But if it isn't the thermal fail-safe kicking in to throttle the speed, It may just be time for me to upgrade. It seems strange though how the framerate fluxuates in game... Perhaps a geforce 6800 is not enough....

But yeah Excetera I know what you mean. The first time I found that out I was playing guildwars when suddenly my temps hit 70deg and asus probe went nuts. The weirdest thing is this was my first PC which I have had to constantly make sure it was dust free to ensure a stable temp.

Just out of curiosity, under load when my CPU hits what temp should I really really be concerned? I'm assuming 70C since that's what Asus probe is set at.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

well I have a relatively old lian li case (around 4 years old now) that has decent airflow where the cpu is, I have left the case open at times but it still lingers around 45 degrees. I need to clear the dust from the zalman quite often though. I decided to OC it to 3.36Ghz today and while playing quake 4 It was hitting around 59-61 C. I have an Antec P180b case I just won at e3 so I was wondering if it would be worth it just to start from scratch and the 805 D article enticed me. I just don't want to move this system to my new case and just end up changing it a month from now and having to throw it back into my lian li. But if it isn't the thermal fail-safe kicking in to throttle the speed, It may just be time for me to upgrade. It seems strange though how the framerate fluxuates in game... Perhaps a geforce 6800 is not enough....

But yeah Excetera I know what you mean. The first time I found that out I was playing guildwars when suddenly my temps hit 70deg and asus probe went nuts. The weirdest thing is this was my first PC which I have had to constantly make sure it was dust free to ensure a stable temp.

Just out of curiosity, under load when my CPU hits what temp should I really really be concerned? I'm assuming 70C since that's what Asus probe is set at.

Although Prescott's are "infamous" for their high temps, although scary

at first, they do seem to handle the heat well.75-80C out of Prescott was

quiet common, and usually not harmful. The thing you should watch out

for, is your mobo, as Prescott can dump alot of heat into the MOSFET's.

As long as you have some good circulation blowing on the VRM's, i

wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I would probably set Thermal shutdown,

in BIOS, to 75-80.