Wireless Printer

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 27, 2005 9:55:57 AM

I now have a Canon S600. It automatically power up when I send
printout to it. After some time of inactivity, it will power down.
This has served be very well. I don't have to press the on/off button
at all.

If I buy a wireless printer like the Canon IP4000R, how does this work
? Would I still be able to do this or must I leave the printer on ALL
THE TIME ?

Thanks.

More about : wireless printer

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:08:58 AM

I now have a Canon S600. It automatically power up when I send
printout to it. After some time of inactivity, it will power down.
This has served be very well. I don't have to press the on/off button
at all.

If I buy a wireless printer like the Canon IP4000R, how does this work
? Would I still be able to do this or must I leave the printer on ALL
THE TIME ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:25:34 AM

What is the advantage of using a Wireless Printer ? For those who have
a wireless printer, tell me how you are using it ?
March 1, 2005 10:34:45 PM

<dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the advantage of using a Wireless Printer ? For those who have
> a wireless printer, tell me how you are using it ?

A wireless printer could be useful if you have a notebook or a wireless network
and would like to print without having to be physically connected. At the
moment I am typing on a notebook, I can send stuff to the printer without
having to get off the couch :-). I actually have the Officejet 7410 hooked to
my network in wired mode, but the notebook is connecting through a wireless
access port. It could also be set up completely in wireless mode, I just
happen to have an existing wired network.

Regards,
March 2, 2005 12:27:14 AM

I'm talking about a wireless printer and you are talking about a
wireless notebook ! What is the benefit of a wireless printer ?
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:16:29 AM

> I'm talking about a wireless printer and you are talking about a
> wireless notebook ! What is the benefit of a wireless printer ?

The wireless notebook can talk to the wireless printer without wires....

- Bob Headrick
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:48:44 AM

dingdongdingding@yahoo.com <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What is the advantage of using a Wireless Printer ? For those who have
> a wireless printer, tell me how you are using it ?

Mainly, it provides all your neighbors with free internet access.

March 2, 2005 6:53:47 AM

The Canon lady told me I need a router.
March 4, 2005 2:17:46 AM

>The Canon lady told me I need a router.

I'm assuming the Canon lady is talking about 802.11x (where x=b/g or
whatever) otherwise known as WiFi, rather than IR or bluetooth. It's
hard to be helpful without a model number to look up.

If this is so a router would do the trick. Either that or an access
point, though a wireless router would likely be cheaper. I tend to see
wireless routers on sale for under $40, sometimes even under $20. I'm
new to the group so I don't know the rules regarding posting links to
things on sale. You could find a PC Wifi card that will act as an
access point if you wanted to have even less wires or don't want to pay
the extra money for a wireless adapter for your PC.

Basic requirements

1. Access point (or Router with WiFi Access point)
2. PC with Wifi card or PC with network adapter (wire to the access
point, or wireless to it).
3. Printer with Wifi support.

WiFi wireless is pretty cool in the fact that you have full networking
without wires with decent range. It has a draw back in the fact it's
not as fast as wires, and other people can use your stuff as well. A
good read through the manual is required or else you have an open
gateway that anyone can print to your printer from, or hook to your
Internet connection if you have a traditional cable/dsl/dish style
connection or have internet connection sharing turned on. Pay
attention to the pages on encryption and ask if the printer supports it
to prevent drive by surfing. Try for WPA encryption over WEP if you
have the option, but WEP is better than nothing. If it's just your
printer attached to the WiFi you the worst someone could do is print to
your printer from the street.

Or you can just use a wire.
!