What does voice over IP ready mean?

November 5, 2004 5:34:24 PM

I've been looking at the Fujitsu Siemenns Loox 700 series.
It says it's voice over IP ready.
What does that mean?

Does that mean I can use the PDA to make calls on a wireless network!?

Let me know.

Thanks.

OM

More about : voice ready

November 5, 2004 5:34:25 PM

This typically means that you can use it to make VoIP calls to other VoIP
users or routers. You can't call someone on a cell phone or land line if
that's what you mean just other VoIP users. Unless you sign up with a
company that's able to convert you VoIP calls to landline. This can actually
be done for very cheap ask about it in the VoIP newsgroups.

"OM" <OM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been looking at the Fujitsu Siemenns Loox 700 series.
> It says it's voice over IP ready.
> What does that mean?
>
> Does that mean I can use the PDA to make calls on a wireless network!?
>
> Let me know.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

November 5, 2004 6:47:57 PM

Note that VOIP ready in a PPC is marketing speak for the fact that it
has a microphone and a speaker...

HotRod wrote:
> This typically means that you can use it to make VoIP calls to other VoIP
> users or routers. You can't call someone on a cell phone or land line if
> that's what you mean just other VoIP users. Unless you sign up with a
> company that's able to convert you VoIP calls to landline. This can actually
> be done for very cheap ask about it in the VoIP newsgroups.
>

> "OM" <OM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I've been looking at the Fujitsu Siemenns Loox 700 series.
>>It says it's voice over IP ready.
>>What does that mean?
>>
>>Does that mean I can use the PDA to make calls on a wireless network!?
>>
>>Let me know.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

>>OM

November 5, 2004 6:47:58 PM

I agree that it is probably marketing-speak. However, I would add that
it may also indicate that it has sufficient microprocessor horsepower to
deal with VoIP CODECs. For example, Skype claims that it requires at
least a 400MHz Pocket PC to work effectively:

http://skype.com/products/skype/pocketpc/
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

shuffle wrote:
> Note that VOIP ready in a PPC is marketing speak for the fact that it
> has a microphone and a speaker...
>
> HotRod wrote:
>
>> This typically means that you can use it to make VoIP calls to other
>> VoIP users or routers. You can't call someone on a cell phone or land
>> line if that's what you mean just other VoIP users. Unless you sign up
>> with a company that's able to convert you VoIP calls to landline. This
>> can actually be done for very cheap ask about it in the VoIP newsgroups.
>>

>> "OM" <OM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I've been looking at the Fujitsu Siemenns Loox 700 series.
>>> It says it's voice over IP ready.
>>> What does that mean?
>>>
>>> Does that mean I can use the PDA to make calls on a wireless network!?
>>>
>>> Let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> OM

November 5, 2004 8:11:04 PM

Agreed. However, I have only seen the most recent models of these units
claiming that they are VOIP ready. All of the recent models have
processors that can handle this.

If anyone wants to know, and know for free, download SJPhone
(http://www.sjlabs.com/) and try it out. If your VOIP provider uses SIP
this should work. Specifically, if you are a Vonage customer, leave a
note and I can help out if need be. It works just fine. This was a
major consideration when purchasing my Toshiba e830.

Todd Ogasawara, Mobile Devices MVP wrote:

> I agree that it is probably marketing-speak. However, I would add that
> it may also indicate that it has sufficient microprocessor horsepower to
> deal with VoIP CODECs. For example, Skype claims that it requires at
> least a 400MHz Pocket PC to work effectively:
>
> http://skype.com/products/skype/pocketpc/
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 8:11:05 PM

Reply to message from shuffle <schooledpunk@hotmail.com> (Fri, 05 Nov 2004
13:11:04) about "Re: What does voice over IP ready mean?":

s> Agreed. However, I have only seen the most recent models of these units
s> claiming that they are VOIP ready. All of the recent models have
s> processors that can handle this.
I've been using vonage on my ppc's a little over a year now. I've been
using sjphone and a few other voip clients since the ipaq 3650 days. Een
back then those devices had enough power to do it. Voip ready is more
marketing hype, much like wifi ready.

Bye
Eric Hicks <i'm@home.with.u> Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:48:23 -0400

=== Eric Hicks [MS-MVP]
November 5, 2004 9:04:51 PM

Your preaching to the choir! I agree with you. A 206Mhz processor is
capable of this stuff...

Eric Hicks wrote:
> Reply to message from shuffle <schooledpunk@hotmail.com> (Fri, 05 Nov 2004
> 13:11:04) about "Re: What does voice over IP ready mean?":
>

> s> Agreed. However, I have only seen the most recent models of these units
> s> claiming that they are VOIP ready. All of the recent models have
> s> processors that can handle this.
> I've been using vonage on my ppc's a little over a year now. I've been
> using sjphone and a few other voip clients since the ipaq 3650 days. Een
> back then those devices had enough power to do it. Voip ready is more
> marketing hype, much like wifi ready.
>

> Bye
> Eric Hicks <i'm@home.with.u> Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:48:23 -0400
>
> === Eric Hicks [MS-MVP]
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:09:15 AM

sorry... i find it hard to believe...
r u saying that u h=guys r using ur pocket pc's to make phone calls on a
wireless network using voip?
wow!
where and how do i do that!?
do i need to have an acount with a voip provider?
i thought i'd ask here before posting in voip groups.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:09:16 AM

If you mean phone call as in talk to someone else with a PPC over the
internet, preferably with WiFi to the PPCs at the ends, yes. Take a look at
http://www.skype.com/. It works quite well, with the caveat that you need to
be using earphones or headphones, or the feedback is uncontrollable.

If you mean call a regular phone from a PPC. look at the other post or look
deeper at Skype.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> sorry... i find it hard to believe...
> r u saying that u h=guys r using ur pocket pc's to make phone calls on a
> wireless network using voip?
> wow!
> where and how do i do that!?
> do i need to have an acount with a voip provider?
> i thought i'd ask here before posting in voip groups.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks.

November 6, 2004 3:41:32 AM

Yeah you need a provider. I can't help you with the free ones, but I do
think they are out there. I signed up with Vonage for my home service
and a "soft" phone line for my PPC. Now, when I travel, all I need is
my PPC to make calls wherever there is a broadband network. Slicker
than you-know-what.

Get an account with a VOIP provider that uses the SIP protocol, and
download SJPhone from the link provided. After that, post again, and
we'll help you get going.

OM wrote:

> sorry... i find it hard to believe...
> r u saying that u h=guys r using ur pocket pc's to make phone calls on a
> wireless network using voip?
> wow!
> where and how do i do that!?
> do i need to have an acount with a voip provider?
> i thought i'd ask here before posting in voip groups.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks.

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 4:29:23 AM

www.skype.com and no, you don't need a VoIP account with a provider to
call other skype users. The only account you need is to pre-register a
few dollars for making calls to terrestrial phones (landlines, mobiles
etc), though the rates are much lowere than calling from a standard
mobile phone.

Now, your only problem is being in range of an open Wifi access point
when you want to make that urgent call ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:09:15 GMT, "OM" <OM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>sorry... i find it hard to believe...
>r u saying that u h=guys r using ur pocket pc's to make phone calls on a
>wireless network using voip?
>wow!
>where and how do i do that!?
>do i need to have an acount with a voip provider?
>i thought i'd ask here before posting in voip groups.
>
>any help would be appreciated.
>
>thanks.

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:10:15 AM

Stanaphone offers free VoIP for wi-fi to wi-fi and a free 100 minutes of
wi-fi to POTS.
http://www.stanaphone.com/

Mitch

"OM" <OM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> sorry... i find it hard to believe...
> r u saying that u h=guys r using ur pocket pc's to make phone calls on a
> wireless network using voip?
> wow!
> where and how do i do that!?
> do i need to have an acount with a voip provider?
> i thought i'd ask here before posting in voip groups.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks.

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:44:02 PM