Sign in with
Your question

It's not always about this games, is it?

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2006 6:15:54 AM

Ok - not sure about you but I justified the last two system upgrades in the past 6 years due to the fact that I couldn't use the newest apps in order for me to be able to compete in the job marketplace..

This last one, was just for the games.. :) 

That said, interesting - I finally did the research and purchased the following system:
asus a8n-e nforce ultra mobo
3200+ amd venice e6 stepping
7600 gt xfx xxx edition
2 gigs o ram with cool looking heat spreaders and great timings
2 80 gig hard drives with the intention to add another here in a bit and raid these
and a nice case with a 450watt smartpower2 ps

That said, I thought...I should have a very nice fast system for good money.

I then started playing around with prime 95 and noticed the benchmarks area. I did a comparison of my currently 5 year old system and was SURPRISE AS HELL to see that my current intel p4 system has the exact same benchmarks as my new system!

Ok - come on you super end use pc rig gurus - OTHER THAN for games, am I still on the same level in certain situations as with my old machine?

Please help me explain this to the left side of my brain...

much thanks

S

More about : games

May 16, 2006 6:36:51 AM

You dont say how old, or what model youe Intel rig is.
The A64 3200 is about on par with the P4c 3.2. That's a 3 year old chip.
There just hasn't been the speed increases lately.
Still, make sure you have loaded all the latest drivers, esp mobo and chipset drivers.
May 16, 2006 6:59:02 AM

Prime 95 isn't a very good benchmark to go by, either. The Athlon will

probably beat up on the P4 in Super Pi (depending on which P4)..definately

in Pi Fast 4.1, and Comanche 4(cool B/Mark that AMD cleans up in).Game

benchmarks should favour the AMD, and Sciencemark will be owned by

the Athlon. To sum up, you should be sporting MUCH more power, than a 5

yr. old P4.
Related resources
May 16, 2006 7:42:26 AM

As the others have said...

You didn't post the Intel specs, or which benches yer lookin at.

3d benches rely heavily on yer GFX card.
May 16, 2006 11:46:01 AM

Quote:
You dont say how old, or what model youe Intel rig is.
The A64 3200 is about on par with the P4c 3.2. That's a 3 year old chip.
There just hasn't been the speed increases lately.
Still, make sure you have loaded all the latest drivers, esp mobo and chipset drivers.

Your Absolutely Right, After the "Full Speed" Stupidity Intel has shown in their Prescott and later model 2.8Ghz, 3.2Ghz and 3.4Ghz Pentium 4s and early Pentium D they have stopped and thought it out and realised that "Speed is'nt everything" so now they've corrected themselfs and are pumping and turbocharging their computers to perform better,. Not go faster in terms of Nothing but speed. Because in the new Core 2 Duo and the FX line. Its not about speed it's about performance, So in the future you might see that Speed have calmed down around 3Ghz and you might see them get slower but in no means does this mean they are getting any less powerful
May 16, 2006 12:17:57 PM

indeed. if u'd noticed the future intel releases have clockspeeds lesser than 3GHz, in this case the Conroe. For the past few years they were still running to greater & greater clockspeeds until now when they finally have nothing else to rely on & realise tht clockspeed is not the answer. u can't compare clockspeeds between 2 different manufacturers because when they apply their speeds, its in terms of their architecture.
!