Mobo with 775 and AGP?

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
I think my mobo just died. I hope it did. I've had nothing but trouble with that system. It was an Intel 865Perl, which I got on pre-order while waiting for the 3 GHz P4's to come out. I think it wasn't fully baked.

I want to move up to a dual core 775 with at least a 945 chipset. All of the brands I see with this only have PCI Express. I spent $500 on my AGP graphics card, and I'm not ready to lose it.

I usually research these things to death but I'm short on time to get that system back up and running, and I'm hoping you folks can help me cut the research time.

Any recommendations on such a mobo?

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
You're going to catch hell on here because you have AGP, but not from me.
You're going to have to do some serious hunting for that board, but it can be had. Online hunting won't do, you'll have to call them directly on the phone.

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Thanks, I guess I haven't been here lately, so I don't know the hot buttons, but I'm sure any rational person can see the value in not wanting to lose a $500 graphics card that's only a year and a half old.

What about a AGP to PCI Express adapter?

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
ASRock 775Dual-880Pro Via PT880 Pro maybe?

I don't have any experience with this board, but the specs say LGA775, Pentium D and ASRock's PCIe/AGP dual graphics. I would check video card compatibility carefully though.

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
You can get an AGP board with some i865 chipset or one with VIA PT880 (this have PCIe and AGP)

But this boards are nor compatible with Dual Core.

You can go to AMD and keep the graphics card, thre are a lot of 939 AGP (with the nForce3 chipset) motherboards and you can get too the Uli 1695 chipset with both AGP and PCIe. With intel you have to get new graphics and RAM.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Asrock claim to have an 865 motherboard, thats not only compatible with PentiumD's, but also Conroe, and it has AGP, and DDR memory support.

Board is Asrock 775i65G, supports FSB800, and FSB1066, Pentium D's both Smithfield, and Presler.

Unfortunatly this one is MicroATX, and only has 2 DDR memory slots, which limits it to 2gig maximum memory.

Anyway point is, if you look around there are boards with AGP, and DDR which support newer processors.

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
I finally got around to troubleshooting the no post issue for this computer that has been running for a year and a half. Removing that expensive ATI card allows the computer to startup, so the solution is bitter sweet.

theonejrs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
tuesday630,

Check out this MB at Newegg!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131566

I'm building a D940 on the cheap. CPU & MB ran me $375. I have everything else and I can use my AGP Card and My 184 pin PC3200 Corsair XMS memory in it until I can afford to go DDR2 with a new MB. Be careful as there are a couple of boards out there that give you 2 sockets for DDR and 2 for DDR2. First off they only support 2 GB of ram and second both memory type is compromised to allow you to use one or the other. You can not use both at the same time. It does have a 16x PCIe slot but it only runs at 4x, more than likely because of the AGP slot. Still it's a decent MB with good OCing abilities. For me it's just an interum MB which will be replaced in a few months. I'll probably put a D805 in it to sell or just play with. By the way, just ignore the bad reviews as the people most of the bad reviews came from don't have a clue, or experience for that matter. If you read them you will see that imediately. There a only a handfull of MBs available to fit your needs. This one is the best that I can find!

Happy Computering

Happy Computering

redmanc

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Mate i've have the same problem and find the

ASUS P5P800 SE to be the answer.

I'll be buying this soon and supports PD's, and i believe are good OC's.

theonejrs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
redmanc,

Only problem is that the P4P800 SE is a socket 478 MB. I'm using one right now! My criteria was to look for a MB that supported DDR 400, AGP 4x/8x and maybe a PCIe slot. The P5VD1-X suits the bill just fine.

My computer has the P4P800 SE and I run a 3.0/800/HT Prescott oc'd to 3.60 (20%) Runs great!

Happy Computering,
theonejrs

redmanc

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I mentioned the P5P800 SE which is 775 not the P4P as you mentioned. Just stating for the price of MOBO, you can get a better one in future when upgrading GC.

theonejrs

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
redmanc,

I can always claim, dyslexia of the eyes! Sorry about that, my mistake. I looked at this MB but I can't remember why I rejected it. I checked so many owners manuals. I think this one may have the multiplier locked in the bios. There are a couple that do! Ha! Just found my notes!!! Unless I made another mistake, the multiplier is blanked out so you can't do much more than tweak the memory. The P5RD1-VM is limited to 2 GB of memory. That's why I chose the P5VD1-X. It's inexpensive, has good overclocking capabilities and supported my video and memory.

Happy Computering,
theonejrs

Misunderstood

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
As per "theonejrs" reply yes watch out for that motherboard 880PRO. One of them allows, like he said only 2MB of memory total either DDR or DDR2. And he is exactly right about the PCI Express being 4x.

How do I know? I ****ing got one. I then went and bought a PCI graphics card and found out I was operating at a slower information transfer rate than the AGP slot which is 8x. I then went out and got an AGP 6600GT and I'm good for awhile.

Conclusion: It's time to move up no matter how much it hurts. Sell your graphics card on Ebay and try to get something for it. Get the new motherboard. If your strapped for cash the 6600GT or Ultra are really cheap right now and will be able to runs games for the next two years, not on full settings, but who cares as long as you can game.

Misunderstood