Sign in with
Your question

is my config viable

Last response: in Motherboards
May 16, 2006 12:14:12 PM

i am looking at building a new machine based on an XPC barebone, i was wondering if the config i am looking at would be viable.

It is the 1st time i try to build an XPC and i am slightly worried with heat and power supply... especially with what i am trying to stuff in that box...

* Shuttle barebone SN26P
* CPU: Athlon 64 X2 1MB L2 cache (4800+, 4600+, 4400+, 4200 ? depends on price)
* RAM: 2GB DDR400 (top tier manufacturer: Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin...)
* GPU: 2 * Leadteck WinFast PX 7900 GT TDH 256MB (SLI)
* HD: Western Digital Raptor 150 Go 10000 RPM 16 Mb SATA
* DVD/CD burner/reader combo black (basic, low noise)

most of those components have been certified compatible by shuttle, but still i am afraid to stretch that 350w PSU

has anybody done anything like that before?

thanks,
d.

More about : config viable

May 16, 2006 2:31:05 PM

Yes, having those two 7900's, that raptor, and that cpu would be more than that ps could handle.
May 16, 2006 3:14:54 PM

Shuttle generally does a pretty good job with their power supplies, so I bet the PSU will be able to handle it. That Shuttle was designed with SLI in mind.

I have seen dual 7800GT Shuttles (without a Raptor) running just fine, but I have never personally used one (or stress tested one).

Some people on these boards will tell you that you can't run a 6800GS, DVD burner and HDD off of a 240W power supply, but I do it every day.
Related resources
May 16, 2006 3:55:25 PM

dont worry about the PSUs shuttle make very high quality ones, i used to run DVD burner P4 prescott x800XT and SATA hDD of one never had a problem, if a 250w could run that damned prescott then yours should have no trouble
May 16, 2006 4:29:37 PM

hard disks dont consume much power, even 10k rpm ones... maximum of 10-15W and about 9W when idle... maybe a little more, but not really much
May 16, 2006 5:06:06 PM

thanks

I think i'll try my luck

i just hope that the reseller will allow me to test the config 1st and, if it doesn't cope then, let me go down to something less pretencious

another question though, regarding the cooling of the graphic cards: early tests of the sn26p mentionned a fanless heatpipe based system. is it only for those fully build systems that shuttle sell at an astronomical price, or is an option available for people how assemble their box on their own?

rgds,
d.
May 16, 2006 5:18:06 PM

All of the Shuttles that I have built (14) use the heatpipe. The case comes with a heatsink that sits over the cpu and uses a pipe to channel the heat to a fan at the rear of the case. The fan at the rear of the case is usually speed controlled by the motherboard to cut down on noise. I don't know of any completely fan-free Shuttle solutions though.
May 16, 2006 5:50:46 PM

Quote:
I think i'll try my luck

I wouldn't, but if you want to, that's fine with me.
May 16, 2006 8:33:55 PM

Quote:
All of the Shuttles that I have built (14) use the heatpipe. The case comes with a heatsink that sits over the cpu and uses a pipe to channel the heat to a fan at the rear of the case. The fan at the rear of the case is usually speed controlled by the motherboard to cut down on noise. I don't know of any completely fan-free Shuttle solutions though.

thanks but i was asking about the graphic cards not the CPU. actually the setup that i saw is similar to the one for the CPU (no fan on the component itself but a single one at the rear)
May 16, 2006 9:02:43 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't, but if you want to, that's fine with me.

the voice of wisdom :) 

i know that the numbers don't add up but, the shuttle website itself listed that graphic card as supported is SLI mode

http://global.shuttle.com/Support/SupportList.asp?Item=...(FN26V1.x

and i just noticed that there are even a bunch of 7800s as well in that list, and as far as i know they consume much more power than the 7900GT

the problem is that they do do describe the configs used to test for those cards

reason vs temptation... arrg!!
May 31, 2006 7:10:42 AM

For info:

I did try my luck in the end and after 4 days of life it looks like the config is holding up nicely.

The PSU isn't breaking a sweat at all and even the 7900GTs do not heat as much as i expected them to: 64C and 58C max after a couple of hours of 3D gaming.

On the noise level front, i wouldn't say it's quiet but, despite it's 7 fans (!!), it is still a great improvement compared to the box i am now decommissioning.

All in all, I'm happy :wink:

rgds,
d.
July 3, 2006 2:31:54 AM

I'm just worried about the two 7900GT's. It will work, but not guaranteed for how long, and so your Shuttle doesn't overheat.
!