• LCD Monitor
  • Samsung
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 18, 2002 5:31:51 PM

Ok, might as well make a new thread of this. Does anyone out there know if the Samsung 181T LCD display uses MVA. And if it doesn't what does it use. Thanks.

Jack Burton is a great man...

More about : info samsung 181t

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 19, 2002 12:35:55 PM

Don't everyone speak at once...

February 19, 2002 12:51:39 PM

Lol. Warning flood control:) 

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.
Related resources
February 20, 2002 12:21:27 AM

i have notice that samsung dont want to answer it, i think the best idea is to go to the store and and a samsing retailer. if he cant answer ask to see this boss or maneger.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 21, 2002 1:56:45 AM

Looks like I might have to call em up Flame...

February 21, 2002 2:07:42 AM

r u rly gonna call? Prepare to be put on hold, judging from their email system.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 21, 2002 4:33:12 AM

Yeah, I'm prepared for it. When I get an answer from em I'll tell you. Probably call them tomorrow if I have time.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 21, 2002 1:37:16 PM

I just recently bought this monitor. Had it a little over a week now, and it's very nice. It uses TN-TFT (like most all other LCD panels), I believe ViewSonic is one of the only manufacturers that use MVA in their panels.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 21, 2002 2:13:19 PM

Um....lot more manuf. use MVA than you think. A lot of them won't specify that they use it even though they do. And it's still possible the 181T uses MVA. I'll find out tonight I hope.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 21, 2002 5:26:39 PM

No the 181T definitely uses TFT as does all Samsung LCD panels, it says so in the specs that came with mine, and on Samsung's website - there is a section under Monitors "DVI TFT LCD" that describes the "T" series.
February 21, 2002 5:32:42 PM

How is the monitors- any ghosting, and how are the viewing angles- is teh top darker than the bottom?

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 21, 2002 8:20:17 PM

Um....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Viewsonic panel a TFT that uses MVA? I thought MVA was a technology used by TFT, and that's why I said Samsung's may use MVA. Am I missing something here?

February 21, 2002 9:07:28 PM

Oh God!! please don't ask Flane about MVA! he hated that technology :p 

MVA is just one kind of technology that some manfacture use for their tft panel, current Viewsonic along with some other seen to embrace this technology, while other such as Compaq does not!

as with all thing, there is pro and con on MVA(there seem to be quite a few article on it), folks like tomshardware think the MVA is great for web page/font sharpness/brightness but not so good on color accuracy! etc etc!
February 21, 2002 9:21:13 PM

TFT stands for " thin film transistor "...and it's generally what all flat panels are today....MVA is a technology used on some flat panels...
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 12:54:20 AM

Then what does it mean when Viewsonic's specs of the VG191 are a TFT that uses MVA? You can have both TFT and MVA from my understanding. I am about to call Samsung right now....

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 2:49:15 AM

All I can say about MVA is what I have seen with its use in the planar pv150. That monitor has great viewing angles but terrible ghosting. It remains to be seen whether or not the fujitsu panel was at fault or if the planar circuitry is to blame.
February 22, 2002 3:00:19 AM

Wait a second, just realised u were talking about the PV150 (15" model) not PV174. Dude, PV150 is clealy older technology. I wouldn't be suprised if the PV174 was great.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 3:09:46 AM

Oops, was editing this before I saw your response. I'll just post below yours now.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 02/22/02 00:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 22, 2002 3:24:14 AM

Thing is PV150 has 300:1 contrast......

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 3:32:31 AM

Nope, same fujitsu mva panel. Just the 15" model. The other planar 15" are older tech. The pv150 and pv174 both use fujitsu mva panels. The contrast ratio spec on the planar site for the pv150 is wrong. Also, the link they have to the manual for the pv150 is actually for the fwt1050z or something. The datasheet that shipped with the monitor lists the correct specs and they match the fujitsu specs (400:1). Also, the planar site clearly states that it uses an MVA panel.

"Featuring the most advanced MVA technology for saturated color, top-of-its-class 160° viewing angles, incredibly fast response time, and crisp imagery."

http://www.planar.com/monitors/PV150.asp

I'd post the datasheet but I don't have a scannar.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 02/22/02 00:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 7:30:35 AM

If you look on samsungusa.com you will see the 181T is listed as an A-SI tft screen, which is Amorphous Silicon Active Matrix Technology. I believe this this TN + film type of screen. In any case, it is NOT an MVA screen.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 12:36:45 PM

SDN, how do you know it's not MVA? And anyone know more about A-SI? And the PV150 has a response time of 35, so any ghosting that results is because of its crappy rt.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 12:38:24 PM

Oh, and I tried calling them once, but I only had a few minutes left on my phone card, so I couldn't do it after all. Will have to wait till I get another one (no long distance plan sucks ass).

February 22, 2002 1:59:12 PM

How did u find out that the PV150 has response time of 35 ms? Is the PV174 purely 25ms?

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 2:01:03 PM

Well it's clear that you're not going to take any of our words for it, but you could send Samsung an email from the support section of their website, I did recieve a response from them when I asked a question a few weeks ago. I can tell you the 181T is the best LCD panel I've ever used. The viewing angles are no worse than any other LCD I've seen, I can detect no ghosting when scrolling pages, I don't play games very much these days. The screen is extremely bright - I have to set the brightness/contrast below 50% for it to be what I consider "normal" brightness. The colors do get a bit darker when viewing off angle vertically (not too badly though), I think this is one area where MVA is better as it allows better portrait viewing.
February 22, 2002 2:01:19 PM

Wait, on planar's website, PV150 has 10ms rise, 15ms fall.

February 22, 2002 2:03:49 PM

Ok, upon further research, PV150 is old. 350:1 Contrast, 40ms response time!!

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 22, 2002 7:35:07 PM

I thought it was 35...but 40 is worse. Sorry Falser, not trying to be rude, I just want to hear them confirm or deny it. Even if it was to use MVA, I'd still buy it due to the fact that I don't think MVA has that many problems that would bother me. Hell, I still may go with the VG191. Anyway, thanks for all the info. I'll let yall know when I get a hold of them.

February 22, 2002 8:54:16 PM

Hmm, I really think the PV174 could be good, but damnit, people claim there is ghosting + afterglow. I want to try something w/ MVA, and see if its viewing angles are better than a mono vertical alignment LCD.

February 23, 2002 4:36:03 AM

Just found out- it uses PVA (pattern vertial alignment). The 170t is sweeet also- ips technology.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 23, 2002 7:08:54 AM

So what's the difference between PVA and MVA?

February 23, 2002 2:25:22 PM

dunno, maybe it's the next thing...will check it out.

February 23, 2002 2:48:35 PM

wake me up when it get to ZVA :) 
February 23, 2002 3:32:15 PM

lol

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 23, 2002 3:47:55 PM

Ok, I'll do research on it too since I am at work now.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 23, 2002 4:04:17 PM

Ok, didn't take me long to find out what it was. PVA stands for Patterned Vertical Alignment and was developed by Samsung. Not sure what it does exactly, but it does produce the same or better results than MVA and is supposively a step up. Here's a link.

http://www.stanfordresources.com/flashcom_archive_0105....

How did you find out that the 181T has it though, because I can't find anything anywhere that suggests so.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 23, 2002 4:11:27 PM

Now this is odd....

Go here: http://www.samsungelectronics.com/monitor/181t.html

Then Go here: http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_prod...

Samsung is reporting different specs at their own site. There is also a 191T LCD that isnt' even listed on the latter site I gave. WTF? And it says that the 191T uses PVA, but not the 181T. Found that out here: http://www.tradersworld.com/computers/181T.htm

So I am really confused now....

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 23, 2002 4:13:41 PM

Ok, another thing. I can't find any store/price on the 191T at all. Does it even exist?

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 23, 2002 7:41:50 PM

Ok, finally found out what the 191T is all about. Seems that it will be released in about 2 days. Price will be about 100 dollars more than the 181T.

I also looked at the PVA vs. MVA status. Seems that PVA is fairly new, and that there is no evidence to say what is better than the other. The only thing known for sure is that MVA has it beaten on angle views. The ghosting issue remains to be seen. However, I think PVA and MVA are so near alike that it shouldn't really make a difference in determining on what to get in an LCD. I think I'm staying with the VG191.

However, still can't determine what the 181T uses. I researched it all day. How did you find out Flame?

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 23, 2002 10:25:48 PM

Poster: flamethrower205
Subject: Re: Info on Samsung 181T
"Ok, upon further research, PV150 is old. 350:1 Contrast, 40ms response time!!"

Did you even read my post? Here I'll copy and paste it here for you: "Nope, same fujitsu mva panel. Just the 15" model. The other planar 15" are older tech. The pv150 and pv174 both use fujitsu mva panels. The contrast ratio spec on the planar site for the pv150 is wrong. Also, the link they have to the manual for the pv150 is actually for the fwt1050z or something. The datasheet that shipped with the monitor lists the correct specs and they match the fujitsu specs (400:1). Also, the planar site clearly states that it uses an MVA panel: "Featuring the most advanced MVA technology for saturated color, top-of-its-class 160° viewing angles, incredibly fast response time, and crisp imagery." http://www.planar.com/monitors/PV150.asp I'd post the datasheet but I don't have a scannar."

Comprende?

This link is what the Planar site has for the PV150's manual: http://www.planar.com/monitors/pdf/Manual-PV150.pdf

THIS IS NOT THE MANUAL FOR THE PV150! It reads right at the top (and in the spec section) WT1503Z. As you can see this link: http://www.planar.com/monitors/pdf/Manual-FWT1503Z.pdf is the SAME manual. DUH! There is NO manual for the pv150. I was shipped the same manual that is on the website. HOWEVER, they included an updated ADDENDUM to the manual. This addendum lists the correct specs for the pv150 and they match exactly the fujitsu 15" mva panel's specs. I am going to believe a printed data sheet that shipped with the pv150 before I believe their website that has numerous mistakes.

How can you say the pv150 is old? It was released at the EXACT same time as the pv174. http://www.businesswire.com/plnr/index-2001.shtml Here are some quotes from the press release: "BEAVERTON, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 3, 2001--Planar Systems Inc. (Nasdaq:p LNR) has launched innovative 15- and 17.4-inch flat-panel monitors that feature the ability to rotate the display from landscape to portrait viewing, providing users a choice to fit their specific desktop application." AND "Planar's 15-inch PV150 supports resolutions up to 1,024 x 768 (XGA) and has a viewable area equivalent to a 17-inch CRT monitor. The 17.4-inch PV174 is capable of 1280 x 1024 (SXGA) resolution and features analog and digital inputs."

Also, the old outdated manual for the WT1503Z lists viewing angles of 120°/105°. No fricken way did the pv150 have that shoddy viewing angles. The Rad-5 has close to those specs and the pv150 was MUCH better for viewing angles than the rad-5. Like I said, I would scan and post the addendum but I don't have a scanner. If you really think I am making this up, I'll use the scanner at school.

This is where planar probably got the 300:1 contrast ratio spec: http://pr.fujitsu.com/jp/news/1997/Sep/16-2e.html "The new technology, Multi-domain Vertical Alignment (MVA) is the result of continuing research based on the Vertically Aligned (VA) technology announced by Fujitsu in September of 1996. MVA LCDs have a wide viewing angles of more than 160 degrees, both vertical and horizontal, and a high contrast of 300:1. The new screens also have a response time of only 25ms and the MVA technology totally eliminates the need for a "rubbing" process in manufacturing. This makes MVA-type LCDs simple to make and stable."

The ADDENDUM that shipped with the pv150 clearly states specs of 400:1, 250 nits, 80°/80°/80°/80°, and 25ms which is what the new 15" fujitsu mva panels are. http://www.fmal.fujitsu.com/products/LCD_02_product_01....
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 02/23/02 07:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 24, 2002 9:58:14 AM

FWIW, the Samsung 171P uses Patterned Vertical Alignment technology and this model got an Editor's Choice Award in PC Magazines(Feb. 26, 2002) latest round up of 17 and 18" LCD Flat Panels.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2002 2:45:26 AM

note: different size panels have different specs.
VG191 claims 170º , 500:1 and 25ms.
The 171 is 150º, 400:1 and 40ms.
VG151: 120º, 350:1 and 40ms

so clearly these are not all using the exact same technology.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2002 6:07:47 AM

Quote:
VG191 claims 170º , 500:1 and 25ms.
The 171 is 150º, 400:1 and 40ms.
so clearly these are not all using the exact same technology.

I'm talking about Samsung monitors, not Viewsonics and PVA is slightly different than MVA (i.e. they do not have exactly the same specs)
The Samsung 171<b>P</b> is brand new. Here's a link to the specs: <A HREF="http://www.samsungelectronics.com/monitor/151p.html" target="_new">171p specs</A>
and
here's a link to an arcticle that says the 171p uses PVA:<A HREF="http://www.beststuff.com/article.php3?story_id=2702" target="_new">171p uses PVA</A>
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2002 1:00:06 PM

Flame, I still want to know how you found out the 181T uses PVA. I've looked everywhere and still can't find any specs saying that that's what it's using.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2002 4:41:30 PM

RTQZ

I'm also looking at the 151p and 171p. I called Samsung up and they said they should be instock in the US by mid March. Just thought I would let you know. And yes they said on the phone the response time is less than 25ms.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2002 7:44:05 PM

RTQZ; I'm not confused about brands here, just pointing out that even though thye Viewsonic's quoted are apparently all Fujitsu MVA panels they are obviously not all created equal.

Given the high probability PVA is just Samsung's branding of MVA (and looking at the spec's there is no reason to think otherwise)I would not cling to the belief that this panel is a substantial improvement over existing units by other manufacturers.
A new LCD plant is upwards of $500 million - chances are good that they won't be popping up like Walmarts.

This is not to disuade you from Samsung or anyone else, just a cautionary that 'brand new monitor' doesn't mean 'brand new technology'.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.
February 25, 2002 8:30:56 PM

The VG171 uses diffuse file, as does the TFT7020.

Sig of the week.
February 25, 2002 8:33:22 PM

Read the PVA thing in one of those news things that announcene technologies.

Sig of the week.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2002 9:59:22 PM

I read everything about the 181T that I could find. Nothing says that is uses PVA. They do talk about the 191T using PVA though....can you find me the article man cause I have looked everywhere and can't find anything. I guess it really doesn't matter though, but I can't believe I can't find anything about it....

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2002 10:14:17 PM

keewee:
Quote:
I'm not confused about brands here, just pointing out that even though thye Viewsonic's quoted are apparently all Fujitsu MVA panels they are obviously not all created equal.

The Viewsonic VG171 and VG151 do not use MVA panels, that's why their specs are so different from the VG191.

In your earlier post you were implying that the Samsung 171p did not use PVA, which it clearly does (if you went to the link I posted).

There is no indication that Samsung's PVA is just a branded version of Fujitsu's MVA. I don't see why a large company like Samsung can't produce their own technology (they have used their own tubes and panels before). In fact if you went to the link that Buddwm posted (<A HREF="http://www.stanfordresources.com/flashcom_archive_0105...." target="_new">"Advances in LCDs" </A>) earlier you will see that it is more likely that Samsung developed this technology themselves.

As I stated earlier, I know PVA is similar to MVA, but it IS different. Whether PVA is way better than MVA, I can't personally tell you (since I've only seen and used MVA panels). However, PC Magazine raved about the PVA panel (Samsung 171p) and panned the two MVA panels (Planar PV174 and Princeton SENergy 750).
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
Related resources
!