Info on Samsung 181T

G

Ok, might as well make a new thread of this. Does anyone out there know if the Samsung 181T LCD display uses MVA. And if it doesn't what does it use. Thanks.

Jack Burton is a great man...

G

Don't everyone speak at once...

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
i have notice that samsung dont want to answer it, i think the best idea is to go to the store and and a samsing retailer. if he cant answer ask to see this boss or maneger.

G

Looks like I might have to call em up Flame...

G

Yeah, I'm prepared for it. When I get an answer from em I'll tell you. Probably call them tomorrow if I have time.

G

I just recently bought this monitor. Had it a little over a week now, and it's very nice. It uses TN-TFT (like most all other LCD panels), I believe ViewSonic is one of the only manufacturers that use MVA in their panels.

G

Um....lot more manuf. use MVA than you think. A lot of them won't specify that they use it even though they do. And it's still possible the 181T uses MVA. I'll find out tonight I hope.

G

No the 181T definitely uses TFT as does all Samsung LCD panels, it says so in the specs that came with mine, and on Samsung's website - there is a section under Monitors "DVI TFT LCD" that describes the "T" series.

G

Um....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Viewsonic panel a TFT that uses MVA? I thought MVA was a technology used by TFT, and that's why I said Samsung's may use MVA. Am I missing something here?

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Oh God!! please don't ask Flane about MVA! he hated that technology :p

MVA is just one kind of technology that some manfacture use for their tft panel, current Viewsonic along with some other seen to embrace this technology, while other such as Compaq does not!

as with all thing, there is pro and con on MVA(there seem to be quite a few article on it), folks like tomshardware think the MVA is great for web page/font sharpness/brightness but not so good on color accuracy! etc etc!

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
TFT stands for " thin film transistor "...and it's generally what all flat panels are today....MVA is a technology used on some flat panels...

G

Then what does it mean when Viewsonic's specs of the VG191 are a TFT that uses MVA? You can have both TFT and MVA from my understanding. I am about to call Samsung right now....

G

All I can say about MVA is what I have seen with its use in the planar pv150. That monitor has great viewing angles but terrible ghosting. It remains to be seen whether or not the fujitsu panel was at fault or if the planar circuitry is to blame.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Wait a second, just realised u were talking about the PV150 (15" model) not PV174. Dude, PV150 is clealy older technology. I wouldn't be suprised if the PV174 was great.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

G

Oops, was editing this before I saw your response. I'll just post below yours now.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 02/22/02 00:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Nope, same fujitsu mva panel. Just the 15" model. The other planar 15" are older tech. The pv150 and pv174 both use fujitsu mva panels. The contrast ratio spec on the planar site for the pv150 is wrong. Also, the link they have to the manual for the pv150 is actually for the fwt1050z or something. The datasheet that shipped with the monitor lists the correct specs and they match the fujitsu specs (400:1). Also, the planar site clearly states that it uses an MVA panel.

"Featuring the most advanced MVA technology for saturated color, top-of-its-class 160° viewing angles, incredibly fast response time, and crisp imagery."

http://www.planar.com/monitors/PV150.asp

I'd post the datasheet but I don't have a scannar.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 02/22/02 00:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

If you look on samsungusa.com you will see the 181T is listed as an A-SI tft screen, which is Amorphous Silicon Active Matrix Technology. I believe this this TN + film type of screen. In any case, it is NOT an MVA screen.

G

SDN, how do you know it's not MVA? And anyone know more about A-SI? And the PV150 has a response time of 35, so any ghosting that results is because of its crappy rt.

G

Oh, and I tried calling them once, but I only had a few minutes left on my phone card, so I couldn't do it after all. Will have to wait till I get another one (no long distance plan sucks ass).

G

Well it's clear that you're not going to take any of our words for it, but you could send Samsung an email from the support section of their website, I did recieve a response from them when I asked a question a few weeks ago. I can tell you the 181T is the best LCD panel I've ever used. The viewing angles are no worse than any other LCD I've seen, I can detect no ghosting when scrolling pages, I don't play games very much these days. The screen is extremely bright - I have to set the brightness/contrast below 50% for it to be what I consider "normal" brightness. The colors do get a bit darker when viewing off angle vertically (not too badly though), I think this is one area where MVA is better as it allows better portrait viewing.