Discussion New i pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The Mac Mini is not really a laptop but a small pc actually.So the i pad is only good for emailing really for surfing the web.

halcyon

Splendid

I wonder how the Mac Mini is doing in sales. If not so great Apple may indeed kill it off around the same time as any announcement of a new iPad. I just sold my iPad 3 for an Asus Transformer Infinity.

inanition02

Distinguished
The iPad is good for consuming media (streaming or itunes), basic web browsing and email.

It's not good for "hardcore" things such as media authoring, most gaming, development or even advanced email/doc editing (no file manager, etc).

It can replace a computer for 90% of people out there in the world who only do the things its good at. It can also supplement a computer for everyone else - provided you find the right apps. But for a power user it will never replace any computer - including the Mac Mini.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It still is popular in their line and the i pad will never replace it.It is not that versatile the i pad compared to the Mac Mini

halcyon

Splendid

Of course you're correct. However, as noted above, most people do more content consuming than creation, so the iPad fits most people's needs just fine. The Mac Mini is not a strong machine anyways...so I wonder who's buying it.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
People who are buying it are small business and a lot of college students and musicians.It is pretty strong compared to some laptops out there.

game junky

Distinguished
I think it all depends on what you use your laptop/desktop for - I think if you mostly just web browse and watch videos, it's a great substitution. It makes for a great laptop replacement because it's incredibly portable and you can use an external keyboard if you need to type for an extended period of time. The battery life is pretty impressive and iOS is incredibly simple to use and there are a disturbing amount of applications that have been developed over the last several years.

I personally still need a desktop for media storage and gaming, but everything else could easily be absorbed by an iPad. I am waiting patiently for the next one at the end of Q1 next year. I think they're going to shrink the thickness using the big brother version of the new touch screens they deployed for the iPhone 5. They're likely to increase the battery size and swap for an A6 proc. I can't see them going above a gig for RAM but anything is possible. Plus, another Lightning Dock (grr...stupid new expensive cables)

halcyon

Splendid
I really like iOS...I'm a believer and recommend to all of my family {selfishly, I might add}. However, for my own use, I found that I had outgrown it and recently switched my mobile devices over to the dark side {Android}. It goes without saying that ICS lacks A LOT of iOS' polish and hardware-software symbiance but the power and flexibility atone for those sins to me.

Timoti87

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
They will both be around.

iPad is for more casual use (web browsing, games, limited productivity).
Mac Mini is for casual and productivity (a couple of my graphic design buddies prefer to use there Mac Mini for productivity when not at work with their Mac Pros).

Status
Not open for further replies.