Lexmark Black Cartridge Printing Reluctance

Got a Lexmark Z53 printer that I've effected at least one prior
successful repair on (errant gum wrapper in paperfeed shute - darn
kids!). Now the black ink cartridge won't print at all. It was
working, but just stopped. The cartridge itself is OK, electronics are
good, it has ink and I've "soaked" the heads and the nozzles appear to
be clear. Took the whole printer apart down to the electricals and
circuit board, but don't see anything disconnected as to the flexible
connector cable - which would have been my first suspicion. The color
cartridge is working fine.

Yes, I know these printers are relatively cheap, but they aren't
terribly complicated either. If they were, they'd cost as much as an
Indy race car (OK, slight exaggeration). Just wonder if there were any
other ideas short of troubleshooting the circuit board?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, have two cartridges and both were working. Both are either new or
recently refilled, so I've concluded that the odds of both cartridges
being non-functional are pretty much astronomical. Good diagnostic,
but we need to keep thinking along different lines. Not sure I'm
completely in agreement that the Lexmark printers are the "bottom
feeders" they are characterized to be - but this is an open forum.

Any other insights?

<MGDW84B@prodigy.com> wrote in message
> Got a Lexmark Z53 printer that I've effected at least one prior
> successful repair on (errant gum wrapper in paperfeed shute - darn
> kids!). Now the black ink cartridge won't print at all. It was
> working, but just stopped. The cartridge itself is OK, electronics are
> good, it has ink and I've "soaked" the heads and the nozzles appear to
> be clear. Took the whole printer apart down to the electricals and
> circuit board, but don't see anything disconnected as to the flexible
> connector cable - which would have been my first suspicion. The color
> cartridge is working fine.
>
> Yes, I know these printers are relatively cheap, but they aren't
> terribly complicated either. If they were, they'd cost as much as an
> Indy race car (OK, slight exaggeration). Just wonder if there were any
> other ideas short of troubleshooting the circuit board?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Have you tried a new ink cartridge in it?

The only effort that is worthwhile putting into a Lexmark is the effort
it takes to throw it in the trash. They have the worst printers, the
worst service, and are a rip off.

MGDW84B@prodigy.com wrote:

>Got a Lexmark Z53 printer that I've effected at least one prior
>successful repair on (errant gum wrapper in paperfeed shute - darn
>kids!). Now the black ink cartridge won't print at all. It was
>working, but just stopped. The cartridge itself is OK, electronics are
>good, it has ink and I've "soaked" the heads and the nozzles appear to
>be clear. Took the whole printer apart down to the electricals and
>circuit board, but don't see anything disconnected as to the flexible
>connector cable - which would have been my first suspicion. The color
>cartridge is working fine.
>
>Yes, I know these printers are relatively cheap, but they aren't
>terribly complicated either. If they were, they'd cost as much as an
>Indy race car (OK, slight exaggeration). Just wonder if there were any
>other ideas short of troubleshooting the circuit board?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

They are worse than that. I would not even call them a printer. Look
at reviews and talk to many who own them. Also, the service is very bad
and the cost to run is unreal.

measekite (measekite@yahoo.com) writes:
> They are worse than that. I would not even call them a printer. Look
> at reviews and talk to many who own them. Also, the service is very bad
> and the cost to run is unreal.
>
> MGDW84B@prodigy.com wrote:
>
>>Yes, have two cartridges and both were working. Both are either new or
>>recently refilled, so I've concluded that the odds of both cartridges
>>being non-functional are pretty much astronomical. Good diagnostic,
>>but we need to keep thinking along different lines. Not sure I'm
>>completely in agreement that the Lexmark printers are the "bottom
>>feeders" they are characterized to be - but this is an open forum.
>>
>>Any other insights?

Seems to me the guy is looking for help and not drivel. Lexmarks have
their problems and are expensive to run, but I bought my first one after I
didn't see many complaints here, while Epson was getting a ton. Canon
gets a lot too, although when I replace my Z65 I may well look into their
products.

I've never refilled, but have read enough posts about doing it to think
that this might be the cause of your problem. Can't you get a bubble that
blocks the ink feed to the jets? I'd also make sure your contacts were clean.

Brendan

More good tips, but ground that's already been covered unfortunately.
Cleaned both the cartridge and the receiver contacts pretty thoroughly.
The color cartridge's contacts were actually in worse shape (which I
subsequently cleaned also), but again that cartridge is working fine.

More thoughts?