Help! - Amd atlon64 3500+ or PentiumD 930

biionut

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Hi!
I need a new computer for development and i'm not sure what to buy....

I need a processor to be abble to do good work for:

1) 2-3 instances of Visual Studio .Net 2005
2) Sql Server 2005
3) other small programs in background(firewall, antivirus .....)

I don't want to overclock him....

A dual core amd processor is not a solution .... his price is too high for me right now....

Also i need a motherboard hint for selected processor...

Thank you very much!

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hi!
I need a new computer for development and i'm not sure what to buy....

I need a processor to be abble to do good work for:

1) 2-3 instances of Visual Studio .Net 2005
2) Sql Server 2005
3) other small programs in background(firewall, antivirus .....)

I don't want to overclock him....

A dual core amd processor is not a solution .... his price is too high for me right now....

Also i need a motherboard hint for selected processor...

Thank you very much!

AMD 3500+ (since it's a server, you might be interested in having low heat and lesser power consumption with excelent performance).
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (forget the SLI part; it's all about the Heat Pipe!)

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Performance? The 3500+ will not able to handle these workloads by far. Even you CPU would have problems sometimes.

The 930 is the only choice here.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Performance? The 3500+ will not able to handle these workloads by far. Even you CPU would have problems sometimes.

The 930 is the only choice here.

Read above: Development Server. The AMD 3500+ will do just fine. And the other aspects of the AMD cpu are also relevant here.

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Pentium D 930 will be all you need her, with the current requirements mentioned in your post... and about the mobo well... D945P/G will do but better go with D955X or maybe 975... i'll suggest D975 for future upgradeability with a conroe processor... so... its up to you u have to choose....

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I would also say the pentium D 930. Its duel core and you are going to be doing a few things at once so it seems like a perfect fit. I would say only go AMD if you were going to game. Intel is better in non gaming apps. so i hear :p

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I would also say the pentium D 930. Its duel core and you are going to be doing a few things at once so it seems like a perfect fit. I would say only go AMD if you were going to game. Intel is better in non gaming apps. so i hear :p

Let me continue having a different opinion despite i have an Intel for gaming at home.

I heard also that nowadays AMD cpus are more suitable for business apps and has several advantages over the Intel spus (like less power consuption and heating). Also its price is still lower.

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Wow! Fanboys soundoff!

Visual Studio .NET works fine on the labs here at Phoenix College. The computers are P3s (not all of them are, but that's not important).

I would say go AMD simply because it is often less expensive, running on less expensive motherboards, and it keeps the Pentium prices in check, to make them fanboys happy. Beyond that, you're simply paying for performance that needs sophisticated programs to discern the difference. If one program takes 20 ms longer to compile, are you really going to tell the difference? Then why pay for it?

Unless you're gaming, which is a whole other thread......

guyinyourattic37

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I would get the 930. Dual core and 65mn. While the AMD uses less power and makes less heat its still a single core. No matter how u dress it up its still a single core. Also the P rating on the 3500+ is 3500. A 930 is at 3.0. Since its a dual core you can add say....501 :D so the 930 is a 3501, And the 3500+ is 3500. 930 wins. 8O

PS: I noticed that you use he to describe inanamit objects. Most ppl use she or it.. interesting.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Both are nearly the same.

And useless you buy both of them you cannot really compare them. No matter which one you buy I am sure it will be better than then system you have now.

If you have large programs and long compile times, the a Dual core would be better. But in the end I found big compilations with Visual Studio end up with a HD bottleneck anyway.

Value for money.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
first of all.... build a pc that will work for what you need today, plus a little more. Don't build a pc THINKING you might be able to squeeze a conroe into it, or AM2 for that matter. By the time you NEED to upgrade, you would be better off buying a new motherboard anyway. That said, you also should take into consideration the amount the motherboard is going to cost. Since you do not plan on overclocking, you could probably get away easy with a sub $100 mobo from either side. I know for a fact you can with an AMD system. A $75 dollar mobo would do just fine. Asus A8N5X is actually pretty good, and stable. On the Intel side, a little lower performance than the X2 3800... probably not noticable unless you bench it. Other than that, I am not quite sure of the stability and quality of the $75 motherboards which you could buy for a 930. I imagine it is about the same quality..... maybe better.... but to be honest I don't know.... have only looked into putting one together.... never did though. Back on track.... the 930 with a $75 intel chipset mobo would be the least expensive route.... but if you buy the more expensive mobo, it would make the price difference up between the two cpu's which is only about $75. And keep in mind, at stock frequency the X2 3800 is faster than the Pentium D 930, uses less power and runs a little bit cooler..... if that $75 dollars is of concern.... then the choice is quite obvious.... Intel P D 930 with an Asus motherboard Intel chipset that will fill your needs for that price range.... as long as you do not want to OC(inexpensive mobo).... but that pentium D will OC quite a bit.... might even be faster at max oc than the X2 3800 at it's max OC which is usually around 2.6Ghz, from my experience. But, that I cannot be sure of.... it may actually be slower.... 4.5 to 2.6... haven't found the comparison yet. Sorry, got a little off topic...

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
On Newegg, Pentium D930 sells for $210 and A64~3500+ is $193.

For now, I'd go with Pentium D 930.
As it is dual core, it will definitely out run A64~3500+
A64 x 2s and Opteron dual core are pretty expensive so as you have a budget......Pentium D 930 is your best bet!!

Any motherboard with Intel 945 chipset and above will do......I wuldn't go with high end 975 chipsets. Some people reckon it saves them from buying another board when Conroe comes out but most likely that a new chipset / board is require to run those babies!!!