WIFI connectiong with WEP?

November 5, 2004 1:19:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I have a WIFI network at home that I use to be able to connect to using my
IPAQ 5550, however after a month or so I can no longer connect, I ended up
hard resetting my PPC and re-installing everything, but I still have the
problem. My other 5550 PPC does not have any problems. I'm using Pocket WINc
and I've noticed that every time I go back to edit the WEP key it's in 64bit
mode not 128 bit? Also when I compare my good IPAQ 5550 to the one that's
not working I notice the following differences,

How can I change this? Why does the one work but not the other?

Under IP Properties

Bad PPC Good PPC
IP Address: 169.254.46.118 192.168.1.104
Default Gateway: nothing 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1
DNS Server: nothing 209.167.188.10,
209.167.105.10

More about : wifi connectiong wep

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:24:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

The differences you see in the IP definitions are due to the fact that your
device did not manage to pass WEP authentication.

My guess is that at the first time you registered to the network you forgot
to mark that the WEP is 128bit, and then the value of 64bit was saved on the
profile of the network connection.

What you should do in this case is to delete the profile of the network, and
re-connect from scratch, entering the WEP Key and not forgetting this time
to define 128bit WEP.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
> I have a WIFI network at home that I use to be able to connect to using my
> IPAQ 5550, however after a month or so I can no longer connect, I ended up
> hard resetting my PPC and re-installing everything, but I still have the
> problem. My other 5550 PPC does not have any problems. I'm using Pocket
WINc
> and I've noticed that every time I go back to edit the WEP key it's in
64bit
> mode not 128 bit? Also when I compare my good IPAQ 5550 to the one that's
> not working I notice the following differences,
>
> How can I change this? Why does the one work but not the other?
>
> Under IP Properties
>
> Bad PPC Good PPC
> IP Address: 169.254.46.118 192.168.1.104
> Default Gateway: nothing 192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1
> DNS Server: nothing 209.167.188.10,
> 209.167.105.10

November 8, 2004 11:14:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I'm 90% positive that I specified the first time that this was a 128 bit
network, but I'll give it a try and see what happens. What is the best way
to go about removing my network profile?
Related resources
November 8, 2004 3:49:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

WIRELESS NOW WORKING, and I can't tell you what I did to fix it. But I want
to thank you guys for helping me, I have a feeling that resetting the
connection settings and the REMOVING THE BATTERY helped.

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>I have a WIFI network at home that I use to be able to connect to using my
>IPAQ 5550, however after a month or so I can no longer connect, I ended up
>hard resetting my PPC and re-installing everything, but I still have the
>problem. My other 5550 PPC does not have any problems. I'm using Pocket
>WINc and I've noticed that every time I go back to edit the WEP key it's in
>64bit mode not 128 bit? Also when I compare my good IPAQ 5550 to the one
>that's not working I notice the following differences,
>
> How can I change this? Why does the one work but not the other?
>
> Under IP Properties
>
> Bad PPC Good PPC
> IP Address: 169.254.46.118 192.168.1.104
> Default Gateway: nothing 192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1
> DNS Server: nothing 209.167.188.10,
> 209.167.105.10

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 4:37:42 PM

Reply to message from "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> (Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:
49:17) about "Re: WIFI connectiong with WEP?":

H> WIRELESS NOW WORKING, and I can't tell you what I did to fix it. But I
H> want to thank you guys for helping me, I have a feeling that resetting
H> the connection settings and the REMOVING THE BATTERY helped.

Removing the battery usually helps most of the time. I'm glad you have it
working again, wireless issues can be nerve racking at times

Bye
Eric Hicks <i'm@home.with.u> Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:32:43 -0400

=== Eric Hicks [MS-MVP]
November 8, 2004 4:45:35 PM

I get the feeling that it just wouldn't release the old settings or activate
the new ones. I actually did a hard reset and re-installed everything to see
if it would work a few weeks ago and the same problem it didn't start
working until today?

"Eric Hicks" <i'm@home.with.u> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> (Mon, 08 Nov 2004
> 13:
> 49:17) about "Re: WIFI connectiong with WEP?":
>

> H> WIRELESS NOW WORKING, and I can't tell you what I did to fix it. But I
> H> want to thank you guys for helping me, I have a feeling that resetting
> H> the connection settings and the REMOVING THE BATTERY helped.
>
> Removing the battery usually helps most of the time. I'm glad you have it
> working again, wireless issues can be nerve racking at times
>

> Bye
> Eric Hicks <i'm@home.with.u> Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:32:43 -0400
>
> === Eric Hicks [MS-MVP]
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:14:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Usually different cards will have different drivers, but a way that will
work in all WM2003 devices is to go to Start | Settings | Connections |
Connections | Advanced | Network Card and then delete from there (by
Tap-and-Hold and choosing "Remove Settings") the network name you want to
re-define.

--

> I'm 90% positive that I specified the first time that this was a 128 bit
> network, but I'll give it a try and see what happens. What is the best way
> to go about removing my network profile?

November 8, 2004 7:14:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

currently have an IPAQ 5550 with built in WIFI and Bluetooth, therefore I
do not use an adapter or card. BUT I notice a lot of adapters listed, any
idea which one the IPAQ is using for connecting to my WIFI?

1) NE2000 Compatible Ethernet Driver
2) IPAQ USB Wireless Adapter
3) Bluetooth Pan User Driver
4) L2TP NDISWAN Miniport
5) AsyncMac NDISWAN Miniport
6) PPTP NDISWAN Miniport

THANKS FOR THE HELP
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:14:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Number 2, the IPAQ USB Wireless Adapter...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message news:10ov3uas1i0m758@corp.supernews.com...
> currently have an IPAQ 5550 with built in WIFI and Bluetooth, therefore I
> do not use an adapter or card. BUT I notice a lot of adapters listed, any
> idea which one the IPAQ is using for connecting to my WIFI?
>

> 1) NE2000 Compatible Ethernet Driver
> 2) IPAQ USB Wireless Adapter
> 3) Bluetooth Pan User Driver
> 4) L2TP NDISWAN Miniport
> 5) AsyncMac NDISWAN Miniport
> 6) PPTP NDISWAN Miniport
>
> THANKS FOR THE HELP

November 8, 2004 7:14:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

HOW DO I go about removing these properties? I'm not sure if I mentioned but
the 5550 works fine at my parents house that have the same Linksys wireless
router without WEP. Do I need to hard reset the unit to uninstall any of
these changes?

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
> currently have an IPAQ 5550 with built in WIFI and Bluetooth, therefore I
> do not use an adapter or card. BUT I notice a lot of adapters listed, any
> idea which one the IPAQ is using for connecting to my WIFI?
>

> 1) NE2000 Compatible Ethernet Driver
> 2) IPAQ USB Wireless Adapter
> 3) Bluetooth Pan User Driver
> 4) L2TP NDISWAN Miniport
> 5) AsyncMac NDISWAN Miniport
> 6) PPTP NDISWAN Miniport
>
> THANKS FOR THE HELP

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:14:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Have you tried the good old turn off the iPAQ, remove the battery for 5-10 seconds, reinstall the
battery trick?

To remove certain connection settings make sure the 802.11b wireless radio is turned on, then go to
"Start -> Connections -> Connections -> Advanced -> Network Card". Tap and hold on the connection
you want to delete and select "Remove Settings"... Again, the 802.11b wireless radio must be
enabled, ie Flight Mode Off, to do this...

--

!