Which phone adaptor for BroadVoice?

Last response: in Networking
December 16, 2004 11:06:25 PM

Hi,

I'm considering signing up with broadVoice. I used to be a Vonage
subscriber and still have my old Cisco ATA. During the BroadVoice
signup process, they allow use of your own adaptor including the Cisco,
but they also offer two other possibilities, BroadVoice telephone
adaptor, and BroadVoice WiSIP. Are there any advantages to going with a
newer adaptor and if so, what are the differences between the regular
"BroadVoice adaptor" and the WiSIP?

TIA,

--Al
January 7, 2005 5:35:04 PM

I wonder if someone can explain what all this stuff means? What is a WiSIP?
What is a BroadVoice or Cisco adapter?

"Al Puzzuoli" <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering signing up with broadVoice. I used to be a Vonage
> subscriber and still have my old Cisco ATA. During the BroadVoice
> signup process, they allow use of your own adaptor including the Cisco,
> but they also offer two other possibilities, BroadVoice telephone
> adaptor, and BroadVoice WiSIP. Are there any advantages to going with a
> newer adaptor and if so, what are the differences between the regular
> "BroadVoice adaptor" and the WiSIP?
>
> TIA,
>
> --Al

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:04:16 PM

JB <jbrandonbbremove@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if someone can explain what all this stuff means? What is a WiSIP?
> What is a BroadVoice or Cisco adapter?

WiSIP is a sort of cordless VoIP phone that uses wifi. The idea is that you
can subscribe to a VoIP service, configure the phone for it, and then make
and receive calls from anywhere you can access a wifi signal (well, one that
doesn't require you to log in via a web interface...).

The consensus seems to be that the phone is not very good. Here's one person
who didn't like it:

http://slacker.com/~nugget/asterisk3.php

Broadvoice (www.broadvoice.com) is a VoIP service that provides some pretty
competitive packages and works with a wide range of equipment.

Cisco makes IP phones as well as adapters (such as the ATA-186) that will
turn an ordinary phone into an IP phone.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
!