really not a problem only a opinion of yours

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i'm going to buy a wd 250gb sata drive with 16mb cache, i have a 120gb wd caviar edition 8mb cache , i don a little photoshop and video editing and after effects render, i would like to know wich config you guys think is the best , putting my Os and all aplicattions on the 120gb and use the 250gb without any partions for the mp3 collection and document storage and photos and use it also as a scratch for photoshop and put my video also there or should i create a partition for use with photoshop, should i partition or not the 250gb new HD. sorry if i'm bothering you guys....

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
windows and progs on 120 gb, movies mp3s, games..., on the 250 gb.

I did like that 80gb maxtor windows and software and 200 barracuda the rest.

Very functional thing.(Very)

You dont have bunch of c*r*a*p with windows errors and the rest.

System stays clean 8)

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I don't know for a fact that that's the best way, but it's what I use too.
C: = system and programs
D: = data
Useful for video editing, too.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I like to put my OS on a 20-40 Gb partition on my fastest drive. The rest of the drive become D:

Additional drives get one big partition each.

C: is for installed software only.

D: is for personal/business files and special folders (desktop, my documents, email store folder, mozilla/firefox profiles).

Other files can go anywhere but C:

Keeping C: and D: on the same drive ensures that D: is always going to be there as expected.

Additionally I run regular backups on my OS (True Image) and my Personal Files (Retrospect).

By keeping the OS and Personal Data partitions on HD 1 (C&D) and the backups on HD 2, both drives have to fail at once for me to lose anything important.

(Actually my 2nd hard drive is a RAID 1 array of two WD 400GB RE2's so three hard drives have to fail before I lose more than a days worth of data, or have to reinstall anything)

---
I am guessing that the 250 is up to 10 MB/s faster (average read) than the older 120 GB.

So given my backup stragtegy and personal preferences I would put a 20-40 GB OS partition on the 250, partition the rest as D: and keep my personal files and some special folder's there. And use the 120 for backups.

However if the 250 required a reinstall of XP due to the SATA controller, I would probably keep my OS on the 120 until I felt like reinstalling.

Then any other drive gets one big partition.

I think you new 250GB might have about a 10 MB/s faster average read rate than your older 120 GB drive.