Antivirus

I'm a fairly new computer user and still learning the
do'e's and don'ts. For virus protection my system has
something call 'Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus'.
Is this product any good? I never see any indication of
updates or poxxx protection alerts. Does my Windows XP
have virus protection, if so, should i enable it and
remove eTrust?
7 answers Last reply
More about antivirus

    XP has no built in virus protection. eTrust is an excellent product but in
    order to get updates, you must subscribe, this is the case for all
    antirvirus applications except for the free applications. There should be a
    link in your eTrust application or you can try one of the free versions,
    many people use AVG: www.grisoft.com.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    JoeB wrote:
    > I'm a fairly new computer user and still learning the
    > do'e's and don'ts. For virus protection my system has
    > something call 'Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus'.
    > Is this product any good? I never see any indication of
    > updates or poxxx protection alerts. Does my Windows XP
    > have virus protection, if so, should i enable it and
    > remove eTrust?

    I think it is a good AV program, slightly less intrusive than the best
    sellers. I'd give it a try, if I were you. Prior to getting this new
    system, and the CA eTrust trial AV software [along with the MS update
    disk], I was using Sygate Personal Firewall, which you can download
    free, which is also a good firewall in my opinion.

    Unless you have other vendor's AV trial software on your system, Windows
    does not come with it.
    bjw

    Hi,

    I use and "trust" e-trust AV. It's an excellent program that does not bugger
    up the system like its more expensive cousins from Symantec and Mcafee. It's
    light on resources. You can update it manually by double-clicking the icon
    in the system tray, then click tools/download. You may, however, be already
    set to automatic updates.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "JoeB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a fairly new computer user and still learning the
    > do'e's and don'ts. For virus protection my system has
    > something call 'Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus'.
    > Is this product any good? I never see any indication of
    > updates or poxxx protection alerts. Does my Windows XP
    > have virus protection, if so, should i enable it and
    > remove eTrust?

    In re: AVG (free version), I have that on my computer, but it can't check
    some files because it says it can't open them. Is there any way to get those
    files to open so they can be scanned?

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:

    > XP has no built in virus protection. eTrust is an excellent product but in
    > order to get updates, you must subscribe, this is the case for all
    > antirvirus applications except for the free applications. There should be a
    > link in your eTrust application or you can try one of the free versions,
    > many people use AVG: www.grisoft.com.
    >

    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "JoeB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm a fairly new computer user and still learning the
    > > do'e's and don'ts. For virus protection my system has
    > > something call 'Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus'.
    > > Is this product any good? I never see any indication of
    > > updates or poxxx protection alerts. Does my Windows XP
    > > have virus protection, if so, should i enable it and
    > > remove eTrust?

    This is not isolated to AVG. When files are in use or sometimes protected,
    they cannot be opened. You can try scanning in Safe Mode, that should
    eliminate most open files as an issue. Boot the system, start tapping F8,
    when the menu appears, select "Safe Mode."

    Some things might be protected. If AVG can create a log, have it do so with
    file details and you can get an idea of which files they are. However, if
    they are protected files, some such files simply cannot be opened. You
    might try checking AVG's online support for more information.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "constantcomputertrouble"
    <constantcomputertrouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In re: AVG (free version), I have that on my computer, but it can't check
    > some files because it says it can't open them. Is there any way to get
    > those
    > files to open so they can be scanned?
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/Us" wrote:
    >
    >> XP has no built in virus protection. eTrust is an excellent product but
    >> in
    >> order to get updates, you must subscribe, this is the case for all
    >> antirvirus applications except for the free applications. There should
    >> be a
    >> link in your eTrust application or you can try one of the free versions,
    >> many people use AVG: www.grisoft.com.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "JoeB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm a fairly new computer user and still learning the
    >> > do'e's and don'ts. For virus protection my system has
    >> > something call 'Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus'.
    >> > Is this product any good? I never see any indication of
    >> > updates or poxxx protection alerts. Does my Windows XP
    >> > have virus protection, if so, should i enable it and
    >> > remove eTrust?

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:32:31 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
    Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:

    >This is not isolated to AVG. When files are in use or sometimes protected,
    >they cannot be opened. You can try scanning in Safe Mode, that should
    >eliminate most open files as an issue. Boot the system, start tapping F8,
    >when the menu appears, select "Safe Mode."
    >
    >Some things might be protected. If AVG can create a log, have it do so with
    >file details and you can get an idea of which files they are. However, if
    >they are protected files, some such files simply cannot be opened. You
    >might try checking AVG's online support for more information.

    It seems to me (I may be wrong) that if the Antivirus program can't
    open a file to scan it, neither can a virus open a file to write to
    it, so you are probably safe if the Antivirus program can't open
    certain system files. When a file is locked, it is locked to
    EVERYONE, "saint" and "sinner" alike.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Keep the thread intact
    Post reply to original newsgroup

    That does make sense but it's not always the case. Remember, viruses are
    written to specifically bypass various security features and/or to get the
    user to do something that opens the system to attack and that might include
    making normally locked files vulnerable.

    --

    "Donald McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAM@cablespeedDOTcom.invalid> wrote in
    message news:25k3l09j15b3dsdmtae68f9h6kvshivbqe@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:32:31 -0700, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows
    > Shell/User\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:
    >
    >>This is not isolated to AVG. When files are in use or sometimes
    >>protected,
    >>they cannot be opened. You can try scanning in Safe Mode, that should
    >>eliminate most open files as an issue. Boot the system, start tapping F8,
    >>when the menu appears, select "Safe Mode."
    >>
    >>Some things might be protected. If AVG can create a log, have it do so
    >>with
    >>file details and you can get an idea of which files they are. However, if
    >>they are protected files, some such files simply cannot be opened. You
    >>might try checking AVG's online support for more information.
    >
    > It seems to me (I may be wrong) that if the Antivirus program can't
    > open a file to scan it, neither can a virus open a file to write to
    > it, so you are probably safe if the Antivirus program can't open
    > certain system files. When a file is locked, it is locked to
    > EVERYONE, "saint" and "sinner" alike.
    >
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Keep the thread intact
    > Post reply to original newsgroup