I have components sorted but need build help please

jayb59874

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Hi there, I am building my new machine this week, already ordered some parts. Quick question though, I know this is newb etc but it has been a long time since I last built a rig so please spare the abuse.

Here is the spec just so you know where I am coming from:

San Diego 3700+
Asus A8N-E
P150 with NeoHE 430W
HIS X1800XT
2 x 1Gig OCZ plat ram(2-3-2-5)
Western Digital 250 Gb hard drive with 16Mb buffer

Also ordered a scythe ninja for the CPU and a Zalman VF900 for the graphics card and some AS5, also ordered a couple of Acoustifan 92mm for the front so hopefully can run every fan on lowest setting possible for low noise/decent airflow...

My questions are these:

Do I need to buy stuff like SATA cables or are they included with the MOBO or actual drive?

Are floppy drives still useful for stuff like bios flashing or are they obsolete now?

I also see lots of posts saying that before you can run SATA you need to flash the bios, well does that mean not to even install windows, flash bios via floppy and only then start installing my OS?

When I worked on PCs before I always updated drivers in this order - chipset, bios, graphics and then everything else, does that still make sense in terms of SATA and PCI-E etc?

Basically I know this sounds relatively silly to ask such basic questions but I do know my stuff and have taken the time to chose quiet/powerful components, however my only worry is that I will screw up the build after such a long time without working with hardware.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give (including criticism of my hardware choices, even if I don't budge ;) )

Do I need to buy stuff like SATA cables or are they included with the MOBO or actual drive?
I usually get retail box mobo, and it comes with all the the cables you need. Then if you get OEM hdd / dvd drives you can still hook it up.

Are floppy drives still useful for stuff like bios flashing or are they obsolete now?
I haven't used one in a while, I have stacks of CDRs and is pretty easy to create your own clean bootable cd.

I also see lots of posts saying that before you can run SATA you need to flash the bios, well does that mean not to even install windows, flash bios via floppy and only then start installing my OS?
Depends on the board and shipped bios revision. When SATA was first introduced it was an issue but with a board like your nforce 4 you should not even need to install drivers for the installation.

When I worked on PCs before I always updated drivers in this order - chipset, bios, graphics and then everything else, does that still make sense in terms of SATA and PCI-E etc?
BIOS upgrade can be first or last, depending on the requirement for an upgrade but that is the usual order I use as well.

my only worry is that I will screw up the build after such a long time without working with hardware.
Nothing has changed all that much, the basics still apply so if you have done it before it's like riding a bike you really can't forget but is a good idea to research the hardware to a good extent to prepare you for your particular choices.

Nice picks, looks like a good build. You did your homework.

Too bad HIS does not offer an X1800XT w/ the IceQ heatsink, the zalman will help ease the pain of the ati reference cooler. I wonder if the X1800GTO IceQ can be easily soft modded to XT :wink:

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Yes nice looking rig - and good advice so far.

Some tips on the actual assembly (some obvious!)
(If necessary fit PSU in case)

1st install mobo supports in case - as many as possible - usually between 7 & 9

Gently practice locating mobo in case.

Install all drives - if necessary think about cable runs before committing to actual position of drives within case.

Fit CPU, fan and fan lead to mobo.

Fit memory to mobo.

Carefully fit mobo within case and screw down.

Connect case cables for Power Switch, Power light, HD lights.

Be paranoid and connect power cables to mobo - connect mains to PSU and press power switch - if all is well there will be life! CPU fan will spin and lights will come on. Power down and remove mains lead.

Complete attaching case cables - USB etc etc.

Cable up the drives.

Fit graphics and any other cards.

Try another power up if all well power down again.

Tidy up the cabling thinking about good air flow.

And that should be it!

Now the software of your choice.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
however my only worry is that I will screw up the build after such a long time without working with hardware.

Building a PC has never been easier.

No more jumpers, CPU, voltage, frequency.
No IRQ,DMA stuff to worry about
and Cases are so well designed these days

I couldn't believe how easy it was when I built my last system about 1/2 year ago after three years.

You may have problems with installing Windows on SATA disk, as windows installation (b4 SP2 i think does not recognize SATA disks). You may need to press F6 to install your drivers. There are lots of links to this subject if you google

TRENDING THREADS