Sign in with
Your question

Will this work???

Last response: in Components
May 16, 2006 5:40:09 PM

Hey there OCers,

I have a nice case that I bought like 5years ago. It is really sturdy and even has a seperate mobo slide out tray. I want to build me a lil' server computer with this case but im not sure if it'll work. instead of having the psu on the top flat, it has it on the side. There is a 3inch clearance from the mobo to the psu on the cpu side. The dimensions of the case are 8.5"x15.5"x18"(WxHxD). Also, there is a 235W PSU that is still running great. It has 8A on the +12V rail and 22A on the +5V rail.
I want to put an AMD 3000+ and an AS Rock Dual mobo in it with 1GB of memory and a7600gt. Will this work? I checked an online p/s calculator and it said that for the setup I'm going for, I will need 218W of power. Will I still be able to use this PSU?? I appreciate all responses. Thank you.

More about : work

May 16, 2006 6:10:47 PM

damn no ! 7600gt needs a lot of power, no way to get that system working well with that little PSU ;)  You should consider at least a 350W PSU !
May 16, 2006 6:46:23 PM

hacky said 350W..... and i'd say 400W to be safe...
Related resources
May 16, 2006 6:57:07 PM

Why not just try it?

It might work, you're only going to damage the PSU, in which case you'll need a new one anyway.
May 18, 2006 1:15:42 AM

Quote:
damn no ! 7600gt needs a lot of power, no way to get that system working well with that little PSU ;)  You should consider at least a 350W PSU !

1. you are a retard, please dont post BS.

2. 7600GT does not use a lot of power.

3. it will most likely work, now if u add something else u may have a problem.
May 18, 2006 2:52:36 AM

The penguin is correct

7600 GT dont even require the additional PCI e power cables.

they are very easy on the power requirements...... 90nn technology and some are even passively cooled (the ones from gigabyte)

IF it was a 7900GT or GTX then yes its power hungry
May 18, 2006 3:29:18 AM

Is your five + year old PS an ATX power supply?

At that time it may not have been. You need to see of you have ATX connectors! Do you have the square (not rectangle) four pin connector?

This might be a good place to start.
a c 92 ) Power supply
May 18, 2006 3:36:27 AM

My first thought is why are you putting a 7600GT in a server? You don't state what type of server it is, but servers aren't visually demanding. My file server works just fine with a Voodoo2. It only sits there with the drives shared so I can read and write to them. I could unplug the monitor if I wanted to go dual on my main desktop. Either your idea and my idea of what a server is is different, or you can plug in a TNT2 and be fine.

My second thought is along the lines of Ches111's thinking. If its five years old, it will lack the plugs modern motherboards require. No SATA plugs for your new harddrives, no PCIe plugs (?), no four pin 12V plug, and no 24pin main ATX plug. (If you get a motherboard that requires such a beast.) Considering what this old PSU lacks, and the general age of it, I'd just go get a new one. (no, not another 250W, something larger...)
May 19, 2006 8:29:46 AM

Quote:

First of all, let's see if that system will work with that tinny PSU. As much as I see, nigeriaOCer didn't post any more replyes, so there's no need to argue as long as we don't know if it's working or not. I said that 7600Gt need some power and so do the other components, so it's a chance to crash that PSU. Chill down ;) 
a c 92 ) Power supply
May 19, 2006 9:58:20 AM

Hacky, try this arguement. Do you really want the powersupply to be running so close to its max output? Assuming the power calculator was correct, we are asking it to output 93% of its total output anytime that videocard and CPU start to work on something.
Personally, I don't think the motherboard will powerup with such an ancient beast. No 12V plug means no boot. Period.
May 19, 2006 10:02:29 AM

Quote:
Hacky, try this arguement. Do you really want the powersupply to be running so close to its max output? Assuming the power calculator was correct, we are asking it to output 93% of its total output anytime that videocard and CPU start to work on something.
Personally, I don't think the motherboard will powerup with such an ancient beast. No 12V plug means no boot. Period.

I agree with this one... I get supplies that are big enough that their max output under load is only about 80% of what they are capable of.. just in case.....
May 19, 2006 11:17:21 AM

Quote:
Hey there OCers,

I have a nice case that I bought like 5years ago. It is really sturdy and even has a seperate mobo slide out tray. I want to build me a lil' server computer with this case but im not sure if it'll work. instead of having the psu on the top flat, it has it on the side. There is a 3inch clearance from the mobo to the psu on the cpu side. The dimensions of the case are 8.5"x15.5"x18"(WxHxD). Also, there is a 235W PSU that is still running great. It has 8A on the +12V rail and 22A on the +5V rail.
I want to put an AMD 3000+ and an AS Rock Dual mobo in it with 1GB of memory and a7600gt. Will this work? I checked an online p/s calculator and it said that for the setup I'm going for, I will need 218W of power. Will I still be able to use this PSU?? I appreciate all responses. Thank you.

218/235=92% max power. Most older psu's run at 70% efficiency which, in this case, your psu would actually only deliver a max of 165Watts. Even if you psu is 80% efficient, it still would only deliver 188Watts max. With that said, if your calcs stated that you need 218watts at 80% efficiency, you would want a psu rated at least 262Watts.

Quote:
hacky said 350W..... and i'd say 400W to be safe...

A 350Watt psu should do the job but, a 400Watt psu would be my choice as well, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!
May 19, 2006 1:20:57 PM

Quote:

2. 7600GT does not use a lot of power.

3. it will most likely work, now if u add something else u may have a problem.

True.
a c 92 ) Power supply
May 19, 2006 4:05:24 PM

Not true. Read chunkymonster's reply above. You would need something a little beefier then 235W. Lets look at a 7600GT.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Notice what they say about the psu in the system requirements section. "Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)" This is none SLI BTW, SLI would take a 400W with 24A on the 12V.
Last, I'm not sure how many other ways to say this. If this psu is that old, it most likely lacks the plugs needed for modern computers. This means the new motherboard won't even post due to missing powerplugs. Continuing to claim that a new powesupply isn't needed does the OP a disservice. (Proving that he doesn't by writing REASONS with links would be the correct thing to do, but I doubt you could do that..)
!