Sign in with
Your question

AMD challenges Intel with 35W, 65W desktop processors

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2006 6:44:55 PM

Quote:
The company will offer 65W versions of the dual-core Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 4600+, 4400+, 4200+, 4000+ and 3800+. David Schwarzbach, marketing manager in AMD's desktop division, said that the processors will provide exact the performance of their 110W/89W counterparts and will be available in retail stores in May for a premium of about 5% over their more power hungry sister models.

If 65W is not enough, AMD is also offering "small form factor desktop processors." A version of the dual-core Athlon 64 X2 3800+ as well as a single-core Athlon 64 3500+ and Sempron 3400+, 3200+ and 3000+ are rated at a TDP of just 35W, which is exactly the rating of AMD's mobile Turion 64 MT processors. Intel will not be able to match this level with its Core 2 Duo with Conroe core. However, we would expect Intel to answer AMD challenge with Core 2 Duos equipped with the mobile "Merom" core, which should be hitting a TDP a range of 25 to 30W, according to sources.

For now, AMD will be offering the 110W and 89W CPUs side-to-side with the newer 65W and 35W processors, which are based on the new AM2 socket. It's obvious that AMD will leverage the power-benefit as an argument to charge more money for the new processors, but Schwarzbach suggested that it could also be a "yield issue" and a strategy to maximize fab efficiency why AMD continues to offer the "old" socket 939-based Athlons.

Taked from:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/16/amd_challenges_intel_...

Hi This is my first post, and I have been around reading in the forum all your post, I want to say that I am not an AMD FanBoy; but this news will trigg the discutions so hot...! I think that this is an amazing achiviement for AMD to slice their TDP nearly 40% based on their 90nm process, that takes me to wonder what would be the TDP for the upcoming Athlon's 65nm. One Thing is for sure The War of CPU's has been declared! and the good thing about this is That the regular user will the the absolute Winner!!!

Cheers!

Sam :D 
May 17, 2006 7:28:50 AM

Quote:
The company will offer 65W versions of the dual-core Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 4600+, 4400+, 4200+, 4000+ and 3800+. David Schwarzbach, marketing manager in AMD's desktop division, said that the processors will provide exact the performance of their 110W/89W counterparts and will be available in retail stores in May for a premium of about 5% over their more power hungry sister models.

If 65W is not enough, AMD is also offering "small form factor desktop processors." A version of the dual-core Athlon 64 X2 3800+ as well as a single-core Athlon 64 3500+ and Sempron 3400+, 3200+ and 3000+ are rated at a TDP of just 35W, which is exactly the rating of AMD's mobile Turion 64 MT processors. Intel will not be able to match this level with its Core 2 Duo with Conroe core. However, we would expect Intel to answer AMD challenge with Core 2 Duos equipped with the mobile "Merom" core, which should be hitting a TDP a range of 25 to 30W, according to sources.

For now, AMD will be offering the 110W and 89W CPUs side-to-side with the newer 65W and 35W processors, which are based on the new AM2 socket. It's obvious that AMD will leverage the power-benefit as an argument to charge more money for the new processors, but Schwarzbach suggested that it could also be a "yield issue" and a strategy to maximize fab efficiency why AMD continues to offer the "old" socket 939-based Athlons.

Taked from:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/16/amd_challenges_intel_...

Hi This is my first post, and I have been around reading in the forum all your post, I want to say that I am not an AMD FanBoy; but this news will trigg the discutions so hot...! I think that this is an amazing achiviement for AMD to slice their TDP nearly 40% based on their 90nm process, that takes me to wonder what would be the TDP for the upcoming Athlon's 65nm. One Thing is for sure The War of CPU's has been declared! and the good thing about this is That the regular user will the the absolute Winner!!!

Cheers!

Sam :D 

sorry to say, but all of this posted above has already been discussed!, so better call it a post and start over with a new one!
May 17, 2006 8:14:44 AM

Ya I think I started with the frist one. But there seems to be two but they talk about the same thing One has a price guide but unsure if it ture or not.
!