New motherboard purchase assistance please

serial099

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I currently have a Slot A Semperon 3000+ with 1.5gb of PC3200 DDR in it. While it isn't the fastest computer in the world, it's still decent. I can play just about any game with high enough settings so that it looks pretty good. I would like to upgrade the motherboard/cpu to a Socket939. While I know that AM2 is coming out in the very near future, my sites on the new rig aren't until around the September timeframe. AM2 being relased should've dropped the prices of 939 boards down a bit by then I figure.
The problem I have though is I have a ATI x800xt AIW I purchased with the past six months and I don't want to invest in a new motherboard/cpu and video card all in one shot when I just sunk a few hundred into a pretty decent AGP video card. I do want the upgradeabilty of PCI-E though. I have seen a budget m/b by ASRock that has AGP and PCI-E on it, but I want a m/b that has a few more functions on it. Also the placement of some of the components (power is the upper left of the board, ide is lower right) is a little strange to me. Am I stuck to get this board if I want to upgrade the cpu and keep the video card for now or can someone reccomend a better board with some more features?

I have powerful enough power supply BTW for just about anything I could throw in there with plenty of cables on the PSU. It's a Antec TP-II 550W, so I'm not worried about that end of it.

Thanks for any help with this.

The Asrock 939Dual you are referring to is your only real choice. It is the only motherboard that uses the ULi m1695 chipset which is designed from he ground up to officially support both AGP and PCI-e.

Otherboards have popped up that offers both AGP and PCI-e, but those are "hacked" jobs and the AGP port losses a lot of it performance. The Asrock is your only real choice.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The Asrock 939Dual you are referring to is your only real choice. It is the only motherboard that uses the ULi m1695 chipset which is designed from he ground up to officially support both AGP and PCI-e.

Otherboards have popped up that offers both AGP and PCI-e, but those are "hacked" jobs and the AGP port losses a lot of it performance. The Asrock is your only real choice.
From the reviews i've read, it's actually a fairly capable mobo too.

serial099

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Thank you for you assistance in this. Maybe I'll give ASrock another look when the time comes. I guess when I'm ready to get a new video card, I'll just sink some money into another mainboard at that time.