Acronis Disk Director took over my WinXP PC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I wanted to create a second partition out my 80GB HD. I downloaded
(from Acronis) Disk Director suite 9.0 DEMO and installed it and was
asked to reboot. Now the Acronis boot loader takes over and issue THE
FOLLOWING error:

ACRONIS OS SELECTOR CANNOT FIND NECESSARY CONFIGURATION FILES.
REINSTALL OS SELECTOR

I did create a boot CD as suggested; I am able to boot with this CD
into Disk director BUT the OPTION to remove this software from my PC
has been BLANKED.

I booted with my winxp CD, did a repair and the same error occurred.

How do I remove this horrible Acronis boot stuff and go back to my PC.

Thank you all

Dell WS dual xeon 1.7

kawipoo

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Have you gone to your boot.ini file to see if you can fix it there?
"mecatron" <darenfs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I wanted to create a second partition out my 80GB HD. I downloaded
> (from Acronis) Disk Director suite 9.0 DEMO and installed it and was
> asked to reboot. Now the Acronis boot loader takes over and issue THE
> FOLLOWING error:
>
> ACRONIS OS SELECTOR CANNOT FIND NECESSARY CONFIGURATION FILES.
> REINSTALL OS SELECTOR
>
> I did create a boot CD as suggested; I am able to boot with this CD
> into Disk director BUT the OPTION to remove this software from my PC
> has been BLANKED.
>
> I booted with my winxp CD, did a repair and the same error occurred.
>
> How do I remove this horrible Acronis boot stuff and go back to my PC.
>

> Thank you all
>
> Dell WS dual xeon 1.7

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I bought Acronis PartitionExpert 2003 and had no problems partitioning my 80
Gig drive. You need to email Acronis and they might refund your money. The
sqeeky wheel gets greased, so complain. The PE 2003 is great though.

mecatron wrote:
> I wanted to create a second partition out my 80GB HD. I downloaded
> (from Acronis) Disk Director suite 9.0 DEMO and installed it and was
> asked to reboot. Now the Acronis boot loader takes over and issue THE
> FOLLOWING error:
>
> ACRONIS OS SELECTOR CANNOT FIND NECESSARY CONFIGURATION FILES.
> REINSTALL OS SELECTOR
>
> I did create a boot CD as suggested; I am able to boot with this CD
> into Disk director BUT the OPTION to remove this software from my PC
> has been BLANKED.
>
> I booted with my winxp CD, did a repair and the same error occurred.
>
> How do I remove this horrible Acronis boot stuff and go back to my PC.

Hate to say it, but you are talking about a third party product. You may
have to "begin again". But before you do, you may have some things to say
to :
http://www.acronis.org/support/

--
<- Shenan ->

"kawipoo" <xxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<u6F3RVRnEHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Have you gone to your boot.ini file to see if you can fix it there?

How do I do that ? I do not seem to be able to boot in safe mode.
Why would a reputable compagny put out a software that prevent you
from accessing your PC ?

Since this is a DEMO, If I wanted to COMIT the changes Acronis issue a
screen telling you to call sales. This looks like a terrible scheme
locking people PC and forcing them to buy.

ALL I want is to remove this virus-like stuff from the PC. I did email
Acronis, tried calling to no avail.

Any legal point of view ?

Thank you.

mecatron wrote:
> I wanted to create a second partition out my 80GB HD. I downloaded
> (from Acronis) Disk Director suite 9.0 DEMO and installed it and was
> asked to reboot. Now the Acronis boot loader takes over and issue THE
> FOLLOWING error:
>
> ACRONIS OS SELECTOR CANNOT FIND NECESSARY CONFIGURATION FILES.
> REINSTALL OS SELECTOR
>
> I did create a boot CD as suggested; I am able to boot with this CD
> into Disk director BUT the OPTION to remove this software from my PC
> has been BLANKED.
>
> I booted with my winxp CD, did a repair and the same error occurred.
>
> How do I remove this horrible Acronis boot stuff and go back to my PC.
>

> Thank you all
>
> Dell WS dual xeon 1.7

You can try to run the setup.exe from the CD again. Often, installers
are providing the Add/Remove componentes, Repair previous installation,
Remove Application option in their installers for already installed
apps.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Firstly Acronis demos are not totally functional. They tell you that
straight up. Anyway you say you booted with the XP CD and did a repair. What
type of repair did you try to do already?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"mecatron" <darenfs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I wanted to create a second partition out my 80GB HD. I downloaded
> (from Acronis) Disk Director suite 9.0 DEMO and installed it and was
> asked to reboot. Now the Acronis boot loader takes over and issue THE
> FOLLOWING error:
>
> ACRONIS OS SELECTOR CANNOT FIND NECESSARY CONFIGURATION FILES.
> REINSTALL OS SELECTOR
>
> I did create a boot CD as suggested; I am able to boot with this CD
> into Disk director BUT the OPTION to remove this software from my PC
> has been BLANKED.
>
> I booted with my winxp CD, did a repair and the same error occurred.
>
> How do I remove this horrible Acronis boot stuff and go back to my PC.
>

> Thank you all
>
> Dell WS dual xeon 1.7

LarryS

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You can fix this by booting with a Windows boot CD or diskettes (Win98 will
do) and running from the command prompt FDISK /MBR with NO other parameters.
This will repair the Master Boot Record on the first harddrive.