First build--looking for a case

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hi people,

My first build, my first request and PLEA FOR HELP!
From the inside out, a Pentium D 930 cpu, Asus P5LD2 LGA 775. Seriously considering the XFX GeForce 7600 GT GPU...2x1gb of probably Crucial, hopefully less expensive, there's so damned many! Antec Tru Power 550 PSU, Seagate 200 GB 7200rpm. I'm told to get a Plextor 716 sa (?) optical drive. A all-in-one sys. Any ideas here? And finally, the case. Here's where I'm going nuts! I'm leaning heavily towards a Lian Li with around $100-$150 or so to blow on it. Again, there is so much to choose from!
I'm a mediocre game player (novice level) do alot of photo/graphic work.
Tell me, what do you guys think? Am I on the right course? Any suggestions/ideas at all would be very very appreciated!

Ross

Joga

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
As far as the case is concerned... I would recommend the Lian Li PC-7B. I used this case for my new build that I just completed (last week), and it's great. Solid aluminum and two very quiet 120mm fans. It doesn't have a removable motherboard tray, but I don't really need it. You may be willing to pay more, but it's a great value for the money.

teldar

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
MMm..... Lian Li

I own two Lian Li's

The other suggestion I would have would be a Sonata II. Nice case, good power supply. My wife's computer is in a Sonata.
Other manufacturers you might want to look at would be http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.htm
I was looking hard at a silverstone for my HTPC build, but bought another
Lian-Li.

Teldar

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Every time i look at a Lian-Li case i am always reminded about how outragously expensive they are for what you get. so if i were you i wouldnt buy one of those cases but instead go for more of a $75 case that looks nice and upgrade the graphics card to a 7900gt, mmmmm.....7900gt

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hey Jonga...thanks for your reply! The two fans...is that enough to assure a cool running box or should I consider adding another? I've looked at the LL you mentioned...very nice..
Again, thanks!

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Thanks for your ideas, P8.... its hard to find an aluminum case for $75 bucks and I'm told that's the best way to go for cooling. I did think about the 7900 but really not sure I need that much power. Know of any quality $75.00 cases?

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hey DDay!

Thanks for your thoughts...you guys are making me really consider the Sonata ll... Man, I never thought it'd be this confusing to choose a case!

I have the Sonata-II. The air duct clutters the case. I removed mine. If the blue led's are too bright or tacky for you, then don't connect the power to them. The Antec PSU is a bonus. It works well and all voltages are within specs.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Yep, definetly, I've done a lot of research on that PSU, and its top notch. I mean, obviously having a 550 W would be nice, but you can't get everything, and hell, its a 100 bucks for case and psu.

Nice rig by the way.

DDay

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
This all depends on how ur gonna treat your computer. For me, I think that Lian Li's are good in the sense that it is aluminum, but then the design looks TRASH

a) if your gonna just leave it at home sitting at corner, it doesnt really matter what your case looks like... as long as it is aluminum

b) if you want to show it off... thermaltake build cases for showing off or coolermaster.

c) if you want to lug it around... thermaltake matrix is pretty light weight.

MY OWN CASE: Thermaltake Saprano Black with Side Window.

thasquirrel

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
What kind of mouse do you have? You could go a little cheaper on your case and put out a little more $ for a nice mouse (Considering you game and do photo editing etc, the mouse is very important)

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Thanks for your thoughts, thas...I haven't even considered a mouse yet. I've used a Kensington Expert for years and love it. I imagine the mice world has changed since I last shopped for one. Any ideas?

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hey TS...
Yep...it'll spend most all the time sitting in the corner. The aluminum, I've heard, is best for heat resistance...that's part of the reason I'm thinking Lian Li. I feel like such a novice at all this. You guys are sure giving me lots to think about!

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hey Hawk,

With the air duct removed are you happy with the Sonata? Does it keep your sys. cool enough for you?
Thanks for your thoughts.

teldar

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
It's not like any of the components are connected in an aluminum case. I don't know that it really makes a whole lot of difference aluminum vs steel for cooling factor....

I like the look of the brushed aluminum that Lian Li started with and other case manufacturers have picked up with them.

As far as Lian - Li goes, their cases are a little more expensive than most aluminum cases even, but they always get good reviews on design, function and finish.

If you're looking for a bargain, it probably is hard to get better quality for a better price than Antec's cases. I know they're steel instead of aluminum, but I have built 4 computers in their new cases recently and I've been impressed with their lay out.

Teldar

Hey Hawk,

With the air duct removed are you happy with the Sonata? Does it keep your sys. cool enough for you?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, it works quite well without the air duct. My cpu idles at 36°C and runs around 45°C under load. I just got a 120mm fan for the front of the case since summer is almost here. The case comes with one 120mm fan at the rear and supports one more up front. I have central air, so I don't really think I'll need the second fan, but it can't hurt. ;)

its hard to find an aluminum case for $75 bucks and I'm told that's the best way to go for cooling.
I have to agree w/ jag on this, there are some excellent steel cases that are well cooled at pretty low price points.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB is a steal at $45 shipped (on sale & free shipping), it is steel w/ aluminum shell so it cools very well w/ a 120mm rear & 80mm front. Combined w/ a 120mm fan PSU it is quiet and cool.

Spire SwordFin SP-9007B $70 shipped is steel/plastic but is full tower (bigger case stays cooler) and has 2 x 120mm quiet fans. Not quite the performance of a 3d aurora but is 1/3 the price.

Chenming makes decent steel cases as well
CHENMING CMUI-P-601AEB-0 $70 shipped - I like to call this the "antec" generic

CHENMING CMU-S-602-BK $73 shipped - I like to call this the "Aspire - Superalien" generic

They also have aluminum chassis as well at competitive prices...
CHENMING CMUI-601AEB-AW $88 shipped, similiar to the generic antec in al & a side window.

axscpu

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I have a coolermaster wavemaster, and its beutiful besides being sturdy as a rock.... the only thig you need to do is make a blowhole for a 12 cm fan, if not consider the praetorian line .... not sure if america its available but the praetorian 731 is beutiful as hell and has two exaust fans (I have a p4 3.2@ 3618 in it at 33ºc iddle in that case ) check them out at coolermasters webpage :!: :!: :!: