Temps of 115ish Celcius on my 6800GT

thewalrusking

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2003
Is the 110-118 Celsius degree on my 6800 gt real high? Im playing Ghost Recon AW and I routinely get pop ups under the game warning that my temps have reached those temps. I know they are high, esp compared to a cpu but i havent done any overclocking and havent changed any thing on my cooling situation so im wondering if its something else. Maybe GRAW pushes the gfx card that much harder? Anyway im going to fork out about 15 for cooler for the card anyway. But just wanted ur opinions.

weilin

Distinguished
ok thats kinda toasty... u can boil water with that.. soup any1?. anyways, back to the point. first off turn your pc off and take your video card out. Next buy a thing of artic silver 5. take hte cooler off your video card and clean it up. scrape off the old (possibly now dried) thermal paste.. and blow all the dust out of your cooler. Next apply AS5 to replace the original thermal paste and remount hte cooler back to your video card. and yoru temp should go back down ot 80s or so. if you want more detailed directions (im assuming u know what ur doing) please ask.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
You might just want to check if the fan is even spinning anymore... those temps are very high!

You don't want your card running that hot for sure, if your fan is toast get a new one before you turn on your computer again, *eek*

sailer

Splendid
I'll put it this way; my 7800GTX runs about 45c. That's less than half of what your card is running. Oh yes, some of those metal wires, capacitators, and other things might start melting at those very high temperatures you have. As someone said, do check to see if the card fan is actually spinning. Some cards take a separate power wire for their fans. If nothing else, a bigger fan might well be in order.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hehehe not likley if your temps were to be that high, your card would be fried, surprised it hasnt yet, adequate cooling would be nice to have.
A chilled gpu is a happy gpu, A rule of thumb :twisted:
The Zalman vga coolers are very nice, or for exotic mods, try water cooling

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
A chilled gpu is a happy gpu, A rule of thumb

Not if it's a 7800: they run slower below 38C.

How'd u get that? Please explain the physics behind that, cuz that sounds like a load of cock to me.

Cant see how it'ld work, not a personal attack.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Remove, inspect fan, clean it with duster and apply new thermalpaste. Make sure you have a good air flow inside your case. That's basically the temp threshold, meaning it starts decreasing it's performance significantly. A good temp for card with a stock cooler should be around 60c to 70c at full load. Buy aftermarket vga cooler like the one from Artic Cooling or Zalman.

maxtoons

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Something is wrong man, I have an EVGA 6800GT Card, I never get even close to these numbers.
Are you sure it is celcios? Maybe it is Fehrenhaite, it makes more sence.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
WAY TOO HIGH.............
I've got both, neither get near that temp., remove it and take a vacuum to the fan and check your heatsink.
If you toast it Super Nova like, I have one for sale. It doesn't go over 35 on air.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
How'd u get that?

Hmm, let's see: having a 7800GS which runs at 20% of full speed below 38C?

If you won't believe me, go to google and search for '7800 cold bug'.

Please explain the physics behind that, cuz that sounds like a load of **** to me.

It's not physics, it's a driver bug. XFX released a new BIOS which disables the temperature monitoring in the driver, and the problem magically goes away.

warstrider

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
if you feel up to it you can do what i did when i was getting high temps on my XFX 6800GT, you can remove the card, unscrew the cover for the fan and heatsink, and using a small brush remove the dirt that builds up inside, i went from temps in the high 70's back to the mid 40's. pretty easy, as long as you dont drop the card or thread a screw.

edit: you'll need a very small screwdriver for the screws, my smallest was too large so i used a scalpel. 8O