Sign in with
Your question

DDay wanting to build a comp in 24 hours

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • LAN
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems

Is it possible to make a fully operational computer in 24 hours?

Total: 34 votes

• its easy, even a n00b could do it!
  • 83 %
  • Only if you're a pro at this
  • 12 %
  • No, not at all
  • 6 %
  • you could do it, but your computer would suck bawlz
  • 0 %
May 17, 2006 3:24:50 AM

Hey guys.

We're gonna go to a LAN party somewhere near the US/Canada border in Vancouver (Canada's one) and he doesnt think he'll have his computer built by then. He's ordering into his house in the states because its cheaper for shipping and everything, but the thing is that he isnt old enough to have his own car (nor is he a real resident of Canada) so it's a pain to have to get his parents to go down to their US place and get all the stuff and then bring it back. He thinks that since the LAN party is right there at the border, why doesn't he just get everything and on the way back, bring it to the lan party and build it there, hopefully in time to have some gaming done.

The one thing is that they say that there isn't gonna be internet at the LAN so updating drivers and crap is gonna be a nono. Also I have no idea how long it takes to take a comp from being a bunch of crap in boxes to being fully operational (at least if you're trying to go minimum amount of time) and playing games. He probably wont be overclocking his opty (much) while he's there so he has more time for gaming but I want to know if this is actually feasible. There are probably gonna be lots of people that could help us with the build and we aren't gonna put in any fancy heatsinks or cathode tubes or anything while we're there so you dont have to worry about that stuff.

So if we went at it for 24 hours straight, we'd bring floppies and cds and crap full of all the driver updates we could get and bring all the tools that we need. This lan is a 48 hour one so if you think it'll take a bit longer than that, it's ok, and if you think it'll take a shorter time, that's even better.

Really, I dont think it's a good idea. He wont have time to practice or get his setup all tuned or anything, as well as if we run into a roadblock, we're screwed. I'm bringing my computer so we'll always have something to play on but its kinda hard to have 2 people on 1 comp, lol. anyhoo, let me know if its feasible.

laters,
bigsby.

More about : dday wanting build comp hours

May 17, 2006 3:56:54 AM

Depends on te components. But if there's anyone there who knows the slightest bit about the inside of a computer, you could easily have the hardware done in 3-4 hours, another hour for Windows, another couple for drivers etc. Assuming nothing's DOA, and you started before lunch, he could be set up and playing games by the evening.

edit: I am of course assuming just a basic setup to get a working computer, and not worrying about cable routing or anything.
May 17, 2006 4:08:15 AM

IT depends on Murphy's law, you might run into alittle trouble as an unplugged fan, to a dead CPU, but you can easily build one in 24-hours, just dont rush things, patience is a virture, who knows, maybe Murphey law wont affect you at all. I tend to have it the opposite way in almost all of my cases. :twisted:
LEt us know how the Lan Party went :twisted:
Related resources
May 17, 2006 4:10:12 AM

Agreed, one must have sufficient knowledge, but you should be fine. like I said, do not rush it, or you might end p with some scratched possibly even damaged components. :twisted:
May 17, 2006 4:23:23 AM

Well we do know enough about computers to build this thing. We completely took apart and rebuilt my computers, even taking out the psu and everything, and put it all back together in an hour and a half, and its even a dell, which means its a bitch to get all the fans and crap taken off/put back on. That includes the 10-15 minutes that we spent looking through all the pictures that we took of us unbuilding the comp and looking everywhere for a little hole where a screw should go, we had one extra. Turns out we only put 2 into the PSU.

The big thing i'm wondering about is the lack of internet for things like updating windows and shtuff. There might be internet there but its quite a possibility that there isnt, and if there is none, do you think that'll screw us over royally?
May 17, 2006 4:32:05 AM

I personally think I can do it. I mean, the building isn't very hard. Just going from beginning to end. The installing and getting all the drivers also shouldn't be too hard if i have them all on a flash disk and i have the bios flash floppy set up. Then I just have to transfer all games from external HDD and install all the games I'm getting when I buy.

Also, is it possible to get all the windows updates on another computer and install on this one? If so, is it just like another installer?

I also need to have some cpu burn programs on my external and some stability testers such as, folding, prime 95, 3dmark06, sisoft sandra, and memtest86.

By the way, if you could recommend any other programs for that kind of thing, please post away.

So, yes, I'll cast my vote, on my computer as less then 24 hours. By far. From what I've heard, its fairly easy to get high OC's on stock cooling in little time.

DDay
May 17, 2006 4:54:49 AM

Sure it is.I can build and install the os and updates in less than 4 hrs.start to finish.

EVGA NFORCE4 SLIREADY MAINBOARD
ANTEC520WATT PSU
EVGA 7800GT VIDEO CARD
2X1GIG SAMSUNG DDR400 RAM in dual channel mode
X2 4400+DUAL CORE CPU@2.3ghz./core
WD 300GIGHD 8MG 7200/IDE

PS.That includes anti-virus and other software.
May 17, 2006 4:56:28 AM

OC also? Thats the most time intesive one. Going back and forth checking stability.

DDay
May 17, 2006 4:58:49 AM

As far as i know, windows is all weird and their update thingy cannot be done like most other updates, where you can bring the .exes from one comp to another. We've got SP2 so I think that might be enough for the time being. Me, I just dont think it'll be all that much fun, making the comp when we should be playing on it. On the other hand, a LAN is probably the perfect computer maternity ward, lol. It can be christened right then and there by pwning some n00bs, lol. W/e, it's your call DDay.
May 17, 2006 5:00:29 AM

Quote:
OC also? Thats the most time intesive one. Going back and forth checking stability.

DDay

well remember that we're not gonna be bringing this thing to its maximum overclock at that time. We'll bring it to 2.2 or so before gaming and then whenever we feel sick of one game or whatever, we'll just do a little bit of tweaking here and there. Oh we can't forget to get rivatuner for your graphics card.
May 17, 2006 5:03:24 AM

Yeah, I didn't include that in the list.

Here is the list of other software I'm getting at first.

Rivatuner - nVidia Card Over Clocking
Windows Defender - Anti-Spyware
Avast - Virus Protection
CCleaner - General Maintenance
Ares - P2P
Azureus - Torrents

and games

Half Life 2: Game of the Year Edition - Newegg.com
Battlefield 1942: The Complete Collection - Target.com
Battlefield 2 - Newegg.com
Battlefield 2: Special Forces - Newegg.com
Quake 4
Empire Earth II
Unreal Tournament 2004

I GOT TO HAVE MY GAMES

:D 

DDay
May 17, 2006 5:05:52 AM

Ok well with the games it might take an extra couple hours.But all in all,it should not be more than 6-7 hrs. from start to finish.goodluck.
ANTEC520WATT PSU
EVGA 7800GT VIDEO CARD
WD 300GIGHD 8MG 7200/IDE

May 17, 2006 5:10:32 AM

Quote:
I personally think I can do it. I mean, the building isn't very hard. Just going from beginning to end. The installing and getting all the drivers also shouldn't be too hard if i have them all on a flash disk and i have the bios flash floppy set up. Then I just have to transfer all games from external HDD and install all the games I'm getting when I buy.

Also, is it possible to get all the windows updates on another computer and install on this one? If so, is it just like another installer?

I also need to have some cpu burn programs on my external and some stability testers such as, folding, prime 95, 3dmark06, sisoft sandra, and memtest86.

By the way, if you could recommend any other programs for that kind of thing, please post away.

So, yes, I'll cast my vote, on my computer as less then 24 hours. By far. From what I've heard, its fairly easy to get high OC's on stock cooling in little time.

DDay

Indeed, I agree :-D :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

I can personally assemble a PC in about 30min and have it running Linux in 5min, so total time = about 35min (usually no patching required but I often yum updates or have them on DVD).

With windows it's a little trickier but doable.

What I do is I periodically make CDs or DVDs with all the service packs, drivers and utilities I'm gonna need and I can usually have a system mostly patched up in 2-6 hours depending on whether windoze self-destructs or not.

If the hardware is stable and you're installing XP Pro WITH SP2 already on it, it should be fairly painless you just have to make sure you have the drivers, utilities and software on CD, DVD or other medium.

Good tools to have:

Knoppix 4.0.2 CD+DVD
FC5 i386/x86_64
DSL / Damnsmalllinux
Gparted Live CD ( latest and v1.6.9 )
memtest86
memtest86+
prime95
SPECViewperf
latest motherboard drivers
latest nVidia+ATI drivers
BartPE

Bad but sometimes necessary:

XP Pro with SP2

;-)
May 17, 2006 5:11:00 AM

For your defending stuff, I'd get Lavasoft Ad-aware for adware and spyware and I'd use AVG Antivirus for your virus stuff. I've looked and tried quite a few and find that these are the best, although I've never heard of Avast. AVG and ad-aware are both free though, forever.
May 17, 2006 5:13:35 AM

We only have XP home, >.<. I'm sure it's fine though. Is pro really that much better than home?
May 17, 2006 5:14:16 AM

Quote:
For your defending stuff, I'd get Lavasoft Ad-aware for adware and spyware and I'd use AVG Antivirus for your virus stuff. I've looked and tried quite a few and find that these are the best, although I've never heard of Avast. AVG and ad-aware are both free though, forever.

Oh yeah....

I forgot windoze is insecure out of the box.... lol you'll need at least:

clamwin+AVG free+Spybot+Adaware+zone alarm

firefox + thunderbird and OO.org for web / email / office stuff
May 17, 2006 5:17:19 AM

No.The only difference between home and pro,is that home only supports one(1)cpu out of the box.or indeed at all.where as pro supports 4 cpus out of the box.

ANTEC520WATT PSU
EVGA 7800GT VIDEO CARD
WD 300GIGHD 8MG 7200/IDE

May 17, 2006 5:18:45 AM

ok I think that's going a little bit overboard. I know windows sucks ass but i dont think its so insecure that it needs that much, especially when we dont have internet at the lan. But yes, firefox is god of the browsers. I'm on the alpha team for bon echo, the next firefox, its quite cool.
May 17, 2006 5:20:13 AM

so would that include dual cores as 1 proc or 2 procs? I have hyper threading and home took it quite fine, no patches needed to get ht going.
May 17, 2006 5:21:26 AM

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

No internet connection at a LAN party!?! 8O

Must be how they do things up there in Canada, eh?

You guys should have no problem setting that thing up in a few hours, unless he gets some DOA components.
May 17, 2006 5:24:37 AM

Quote:
ok I think that's going a little bit overboard. I know windows sucks ass but i dont think its so insecure that it needs that much, especially when we dont have internet at the lan. But yes, firefox is god of the browsers. I'm on the alpha team for bon echo, the next firefox, its quite cool.

:-D :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Well you'd be surprized how many PCs at the lanparty may already be infected!!!!

Even if you are not online you're still @ risk.

Trust me, even Linux is sometimes insecure out of the box.
May 17, 2006 5:27:56 AM

Dual cores are seen as one(1)cpu.so no worries.I run home myself and my 4400+ runs awesome.

ANTEC520WATT PSU
EVGA 7800GT VIDEO CARD
WD 300GIGHD 8MG 7200/IDE
May 17, 2006 5:29:15 AM

well that's at least what they said. I really think that's bs and they're doing that so people dont bring their webservers and start downloading stuff so it slows down the network but a lan without internet is really un-couth. Remember though that this is a more serious lan than some. I cant remember the site though, dash will have it somewhere, he remembers everything.
May 17, 2006 5:34:06 AM

The reason that its no internet is supposedly so we don't download lots of pr0n and stuff, though we all know that will be transfered between computers over the network anyways. :D  Anyways, yeah, its so the mommies of the little kiddies let there kids go.

DDay

By the way, its this lan, it looks pretty awesome from just the point of view of the sponsor list.

Digital Storm LAN
May 17, 2006 5:48:53 AM

I dont see where it says "there is no internet access here". On the general rules thingy it says that no excessive amount of downloading is allowed or you'll be capped but I can't find "no internet".
May 17, 2006 6:12:44 AM

Quote:
The reason that its no internet is supposedly so we don't download lots of pr0n and stuff, though we all know that will be transfered between computers over the network anyways. :D  Anyways, yeah, its so the mommies of the little kiddies let there kids go.

DDay

By the way, its this lan, it looks pretty awesome from just the point of view of the sponsor list.

Digital Storm LAN

:-D

Make sure you download everything you're going to need, put it on CD and DVD and bring it with ya just in case.
May 17, 2006 6:32:06 AM

Look in the for parents section. And its says intranet, not internet in the place you read I believe.

DDay
May 18, 2006 6:24:57 AM

Hey guys, what would you suggest as a Disk Emulator? Bigsby uses fantom cd. What do you guys use?

Oh, also, I just remembered. I DEFINETLY need cpu-Z. So, any other majorly needed programs for OCing? Rivatuner should be fine for my card, but what about my CPU.

DDay
May 18, 2006 7:08:55 AM

I don't see the big issue with not having an internet connection at a LAN, which I'm sure you remember means LOCAL area network.

I agree that you should have that puppy up and running in 4 hours for hardware and windows and another 2 -4 for programs and games. I wouldn't worry too much about updates and stuff until you connect to the internet but agree that at a minimum you should install the anti-virus and a registry cleaner.

If you knew someone with the exact same MB and Processor then you could speed up the process of gaming at a LAN by ghosting his HD that contains his OS and programs. Then format it and install all your stuff at a later date. If you did this then you could be up and gaming in 3 hours, assuming there are no hardware problems.
May 18, 2006 7:29:28 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, what would you suggest as a Disk Emulator? Bigsby uses fantom cd. What do you guys use?

Oh, also, I just remembered. I DEFINETLY need cpu-Z. So, any other majorly needed programs for OCing? Rivatuner should be fine for my card, but what about my CPU.

DDay

virtualcd/DVD is kinda kewl
May 18, 2006 7:35:58 AM

Alcohol 120% is an awesome program for disk emulation. You can download a torrent of it at mininova.org, and it has a crack inside the file. And you should be able to do it easy in 4 hours max. Just hope that the DFI aint a pig, i know what they're like sometimes.
May 18, 2006 12:04:51 PM

well if you have build a computer before or a few of them it's easy to asemble a pc if nothing dies on you and without oc because that needs time... in about 5/6 hours, i can build about 2 computers if i have 2 screens just for the time that windows and installing all the drivers and stuff consumes, but if you've done it before i think it's easy, just leave it running for a few hours with prime95 just to check if everything it's ok, you don't want you computer to crash at a lan party....
May 18, 2006 12:54:08 PM

I can build a full computer and have it up and running normally in about 4-5 hours. Thats building the hardware, installing Windows, updating Windows, and installing Office and other programs.

Installing games and other programs takes a little more time.
May 20, 2006 1:34:48 AM

what is exacly a LAND PARTY?
May 20, 2006 6:23:24 PM

As a LAN organizer in charge of handling networks, I can assure you that we do not share the internet connection to user because we know how much they already are transfering on a network without the internet.

Allow them to have the internet means eMule and torrents running full speed hogging both your network and the internet connection when you need it. The only solution is to block allow ports coming out except web and MSN/AIM. Yet there will still be some downloading via HTTP...
!