Epson printers and XP SP2

It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker
and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?

Mike Skuczas

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:49:07 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike
Skuczas <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:

>It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
> heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker
>and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
>supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
> settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
>too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?

Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
resolve this problem.

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:49:07 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike
> Skuczas <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
>> heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker
>>and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
>>supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
>> settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
>>too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?
>

> Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
> resolve this problem.
Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
Mike Skuczas

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:41:10 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike Skuczas
<mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:

>> Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
>> resolve this problem.
>Did that and followed the instructions, no change.

OK, back to basics, since you haven't mentioned it run the nozzle checks in
the printer driver. Next try printing some controlled pattern of cymk and
rgb. Sounds like you might have a plugged head.
----------
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Mike Skuczas wrote:

> It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has
> anyone heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much
> darker and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage
> 7 and it supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen
> three gamma settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest
> and it was still too dark.

You can use Epson PhotoQuicker. It isn't affected by SP2.

--
# Lukasz Ledóchowski
# GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl

There is a new driver on Epson's web site, at least on the US site, for
all the printers that developed this problem with XP SP2.

Art

Mike Skuczas wrote:

> It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
> heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker and
> have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
> supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
> settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
> too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?
>
> Mike Skuczas

To my knowledge, the Epson XP SP2 driver correction did resolve the
problem for most people. At one time, Epson offered a step by step
manual fix approach for people who couldn't get it to work via the
driver replacement. This was on the US web site as well, but I don't
know if it is still being offered. It involved changing some check
marks in certain menus.

I would suggest that you might have some older driver remnants that
aren't being properly upgraded, if the new driver is not fixing the problem.

Art

Mike Skuczas wrote:

> Ed Ruf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:49:07 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike
>> Skuczas <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has
>>> anyone heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much
>>> darker and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage
>>> 7 and it supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen
>>> three gamma settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and
>>> it was still too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the
>>> SP 2 for XP?
>>

>> Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
>> resolve this problem.
>
> Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
> Mike Skuczas

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

There is an article in this weeks Amateur Photographer about dark prints on
the R800 with SP2.
Epson's advice is to use the ICM option and ensure the no colour adjustment
is NOT selected.
I don't know if this will apply to the R200.

Frank

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:41:10 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike Skuczas
> <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Ed Ruf wrote:
>

>>>Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
>>>resolve this problem.
>>
>>Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
>

> OK, back to basics, since you haven't mentioned it run the nozzle checks in
> the printer driver. Next try printing some controlled pattern of cymk and
> rgb. Sounds like you might have a plugged head.
> ----------
> http://EdwardGRuf.com
Prior to posting here, I did do a head cleaning as one of my test prints
indicated it was clogged alittle. So it's not a clogged head.
Mike Skuczas

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> To my knowledge, the Epson XP SP2 driver correction did resolve the
> problem for most people. At one time, Epson offered a step by step
> manual fix approach for people who couldn't get it to work via the
> driver replacement. This was on the US web site as well, but I don't
> know if it is still being offered. It involved changing some check
> marks in certain menus.
>
> I would suggest that you might have some older driver remnants that
> aren't being properly upgraded, if the new driver is not fixing the
> problem.
>
> Art
>

> Mike Skuczas wrote:
>
>> Ed Ruf wrote:

>>> Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
>>> resolve this problem.
>>

>> Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
>> Mike Skuczas
Open to suggestions on how to determine which and how to replace them.

Mike Skuczas

Contact Epson and ask for a full listing of the components
in the driver and where they are loaded to. Explain to them what the
problem is you are having, they will usually supply instructions. They
may also have another fix for you. They are aware of the problem with
SP2, if that is what is causing the problem.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> Contact Epson and ask for a full listing of the components
> in the driver and where they are loaded to. Explain to them what the
> problem is you are having, they will usually supply instructions. They
> may also have another fix for you. They are aware of the problem with
> SP2, if that is what is causing the problem.
>
> Art
>

> Mike Skuczas wrote:
>
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> To my knowledge, the Epson XP SP2 driver correction did resolve the
>>> problem for most people. At one time, Epson offered a step by step
>>> manual fix approach for people who couldn't get it to work via the
>>> driver replacement. This was on the US web site as well, but I don't
>>> know if it is still being offered. It involved changing some check
>>> marks in certain menus.
>>>
>>> I would suggest that you might have some older driver remnants that
>>> aren't being properly upgraded, if the new driver is not fixing the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Art

>> Open to suggestions on how to determine which and how to replace them.
>>
>> Mike Skuczas
Okay, will try that and let you know How I make out, BTW the date on the
latest driver exe is Oct 04.

Mike Skuczas

Mike Skuczas wrote:
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> Contact Epson and ask for a full listing of the components
>> in the driver and where they are loaded to. Explain to them what the
>> problem is you are having, they will usually supply instructions.
>> They may also have another fix for you. They are aware of the problem
>> with SP2, if that is what is causing the problem.
>>
>> Art
>>

>> Mike Skuczas wrote:

>>> Open to suggestions on how to determine which and how to replace them.
>>>
>>> Mike Skuczas
>
> Okay, will try that and let you know How I make out, BTW the date on the
> latest driver exe is Oct 04.
>
> Mike Skuczas
Well got a email from Epson, they may suggestions similar to the ones
here and also said if they didn't contact them for replacement if still
under warranty or if not take it in for service.

Mike Skuczas

Here is a brief section from Epson's website (copyright Epson USA)

Attention Windows XP Users
To ensure compatibility with the latest Windows XP operating system
update, Epson is providing updated drivers for several of its printer
models. If you use Windows XP, you may notice that your photos appear
darker than usual when you print from the Windows XP Photo Printing
Wizard. This may occur after you update Windows, so Epson recommends
that you download the latest printer driver to ensure the highest
quality prints.

We have updated the drivers and posted them on the Epson Support Website
for downloading. For the best printing results, check the list below for
affected printers. Then click on "Download Now" to go to the Drivers &
Downloads page and choose the Windows XP driver. If you are not sure if
you have the newest Epson driver, you should go ahead and download the
update.

Model Name Updated Driver Availability
Stylus CX6400 Download Now
Stylus CX6600 Download Now
Stylus Photo R200 Download Now
Stylus Photo R300 Download Now
Stylus Photo R300M Download Now
Stylus Photo R800 Download Now
Stylus Photo 2200 Download Now
Stylus Photo RX500 Download Now
Stylus Photo RX600 Download Now

If you do not want to download and install the updated driver, you can
change your printer settings to ensure high quality printing from the
Photo Printing Wizard. Follow these step-by-step instructions.

They then explain the process to do it manually.

To find this page, go to www.epson.com

click on USA

when you get to the Epson USA website:

Click on "Drivers & Support" in the left hand margin (white lettering)
On the page that is titled "Welcome to Epson Support"
In Highlights box on right side click on first topic (Attention Windows
XP Users)

You are there. And yes, the October update seems about correct.

Art

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:12:49 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>If you use Windows XP, you may notice that your photos appear
>darker than usual when you print from the Windows XP Photo Printing
>Wizard.

And why on earth would you want to use the Windows printing "wizard"?
;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

For the same reason that people use IE and Outlook.

Hecate wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:12:49 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
>wrote:
>

>>If you use Windows XP, you may notice that your photos appear
>>darker than usual when you print from the Windows XP Photo Printing
>>Wizard.
>>

>And why on earth would you want to use the Windows printing "wizard"?
>;-)
>
> --
>
>Hecate - The Real One
>Hecate@newsguy.com
>veni, vidi, reliqui

Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger... that was a quote from
Epson's own website. ;-e

Art