Epson printers and XP SP2

It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker
and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?

Mike Skuczas
16 answers Last reply
More about epson printers

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:49:07 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike
    Skuczas <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:

    >It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
    > heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker
    >and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
    >supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
    > settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
    >too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?

    Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
    resolve this problem.

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:49:07 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike
    > Skuczas <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
    >> heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker
    >>and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
    >>supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
    >> settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
    >>too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?
    >

    > Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
    > resolve this problem.
    Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
    Mike Skuczas

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:41:10 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike Skuczas
    <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf wrote:

    >> Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
    >> resolve this problem.
    >Did that and followed the instructions, no change.

    OK, back to basics, since you haven't mentioned it run the nozzle checks in
    the printer driver. Next try printing some controlled pattern of cymk and
    rgb. Sounds like you might have a plugged head.
    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Mike Skuczas wrote:

    > It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has
    > anyone heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much
    > darker and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage
    > 7 and it supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen
    > three gamma settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest
    > and it was still too dark.

    You can use Epson PhotoQuicker. It isn't affected by SP2.

    --
    # Lukasz Ledóchowski
    # GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl

    There is a new driver on Epson's web site, at least on the US site, for
    all the printers that developed this problem with XP SP2.

    Art

    Mike Skuczas wrote:

    > It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has anyone
    > heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much darker and
    > have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage 7 and it
    > supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen three gamma
    > settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and it was still
    > too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the SP 2 for XP?
    >
    > Mike Skuczas

    To my knowledge, the Epson XP SP2 driver correction did resolve the
    problem for most people. At one time, Epson offered a step by step
    manual fix approach for people who couldn't get it to work via the
    driver replacement. This was on the US web site as well, but I don't
    know if it is still being offered. It involved changing some check
    marks in certain menus.

    I would suggest that you might have some older driver remnants that
    aren't being properly upgraded, if the new driver is not fixing the problem.

    Art

    Mike Skuczas wrote:

    > Ed Ruf wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:49:07 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike
    >> Skuczas <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> It's been awhile sinc e I tried printing photos with my R200. Has
    >>> anyone heard of a fix for the SP 2 problem? My prints come out much
    >>> darker and have a bluish cast to them. My camera is an Minolta DiMage
    >>> 7 and it supports the image matching tech in the printer. I only seen
    >>> three gamma settings in the advance properties. Tried the highest and
    >>> it was still too dark. What brands of printers were unaffected by the
    >>> SP 2 for XP?
    >>

    >> Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
    >> resolve this problem.
    >
    > Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
    > Mike Skuczas

    There is an article in this weeks Amateur Photographer about dark prints on
    the R800 with SP2.
    Epson's advice is to use the ICM option and ensure the no colour adjustment
    is NOT selected.
    I don't know if this will apply to the R200.

    Frank

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:41:10 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers Mike Skuczas
    > <mskuczas@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Ed Ruf wrote:
    >

    >>>Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
    >>>resolve this problem.
    >>
    >>Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
    >

    > OK, back to basics, since you haven't mentioned it run the nozzle checks in
    > the printer driver. Next try printing some controlled pattern of cymk and
    > rgb. Sounds like you might have a plugged head.
    > ----------
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Prior to posting here, I did do a head cleaning as one of my test prints
    indicated it was clogged alittle. So it's not a clogged head.
    Mike Skuczas

    Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > To my knowledge, the Epson XP SP2 driver correction did resolve the
    > problem for most people. At one time, Epson offered a step by step
    > manual fix approach for people who couldn't get it to work via the
    > driver replacement. This was on the US web site as well, but I don't
    > know if it is still being offered. It involved changing some check
    > marks in certain menus.
    >
    > I would suggest that you might have some older driver remnants that
    > aren't being properly upgraded, if the new driver is not fixing the
    > problem.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Mike Skuczas wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Ruf wrote:

    >>> Go to the Epson site and DL the latest drivers which are supposed to
    >>> resolve this problem.
    >>

    >> Did that and followed the instructions, no change.
    >> Mike Skuczas
    Open to suggestions on how to determine which and how to replace them.

    Mike Skuczas

    Contact Epson and ask for a full listing of the components
    in the driver and where they are loaded to. Explain to them what the
    problem is you are having, they will usually supply instructions. They
    may also have another fix for you. They are aware of the problem with
    SP2, if that is what is causing the problem.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > Contact Epson and ask for a full listing of the components
    > in the driver and where they are loaded to. Explain to them what the
    > problem is you are having, they will usually supply instructions. They
    > may also have another fix for you. They are aware of the problem with
    > SP2, if that is what is causing the problem.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > Mike Skuczas wrote:
    >
    >> Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >>
    >>> To my knowledge, the Epson XP SP2 driver correction did resolve the
    >>> problem for most people. At one time, Epson offered a step by step
    >>> manual fix approach for people who couldn't get it to work via the
    >>> driver replacement. This was on the US web site as well, but I don't
    >>> know if it is still being offered. It involved changing some check
    >>> marks in certain menus.
    >>>
    >>> I would suggest that you might have some older driver remnants that
    >>> aren't being properly upgraded, if the new driver is not fixing the
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> Art

    >> Open to suggestions on how to determine which and how to replace them.
    >>
    >> Mike Skuczas
    Okay, will try that and let you know How I make out, BTW the date on the
    latest driver exe is Oct 04.

    Mike Skuczas

    Mike Skuczas wrote:
    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> Contact Epson and ask for a full listing of the components
    >> in the driver and where they are loaded to. Explain to them what the
    >> problem is you are having, they will usually supply instructions.
    >> They may also have another fix for you. They are aware of the problem
    >> with SP2, if that is what is causing the problem.
    >>
    >> Art
    >>

    >> Mike Skuczas wrote:

    >>> Open to suggestions on how to determine which and how to replace them.
    >>>
    >>> Mike Skuczas
    >
    > Okay, will try that and let you know How I make out, BTW the date on the
    > latest driver exe is Oct 04.
    >
    > Mike Skuczas
    Well got a email from Epson, they may suggestions similar to the ones
    here and also said if they didn't contact them for replacement if still
    under warranty or if not take it in for service.

    Mike Skuczas

    Here is a brief section from Epson's website (copyright Epson USA)

    Attention Windows XP Users
    To ensure compatibility with the latest Windows XP operating system
    update, Epson is providing updated drivers for several of its printer
    models. If you use Windows XP, you may notice that your photos appear
    darker than usual when you print from the Windows XP Photo Printing
    Wizard. This may occur after you update Windows, so Epson recommends
    that you download the latest printer driver to ensure the highest
    quality prints.

    We have updated the drivers and posted them on the Epson Support Website
    for downloading. For the best printing results, check the list below for
    affected printers. Then click on "Download Now" to go to the Drivers &
    Downloads page and choose the Windows XP driver. If you are not sure if
    you have the newest Epson driver, you should go ahead and download the
    update.

    Model Name Updated Driver Availability
    Stylus CX6400 Download Now
    Stylus CX6600 Download Now
    Stylus Photo R200 Download Now
    Stylus Photo R300 Download Now
    Stylus Photo R300M Download Now
    Stylus Photo R800 Download Now
    Stylus Photo 2200 Download Now
    Stylus Photo RX500 Download Now
    Stylus Photo RX600 Download Now

    If you do not want to download and install the updated driver, you can
    change your printer settings to ensure high quality printing from the
    Photo Printing Wizard. Follow these step-by-step instructions.

    They then explain the process to do it manually.

    To find this page, go to www.epson.com

    click on USA

    when you get to the Epson USA website:

    Click on "Drivers & Support" in the left hand margin (white lettering)
    On the page that is titled "Welcome to Epson Support"
    In Highlights box on right side click on first topic (Attention Windows
    XP Users)

    You are there. And yes, the October update seems about correct.

    Art

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:12:49 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
    wrote:

    >If you use Windows XP, you may notice that your photos appear
    >darker than usual when you print from the Windows XP Photo Printing
    >Wizard.

    And why on earth would you want to use the Windows printing "wizard"?
    ;-)

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    For the same reason that people use IE and Outlook.

    Hecate wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:12:49 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>If you use Windows XP, you may notice that your photos appear
    >>darker than usual when you print from the Windows XP Photo Printing
    >>Wizard.
    >>

    >And why on earth would you want to use the Windows printing "wizard"?
    >;-)
    >
    > --
    >
    >Hecate - The Real One
    >Hecate@newsguy.com
    >veni, vidi, reliqui

    Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger... that was a quote from
    Epson's own website. ;-e

    Art

    Hecate wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:12:49 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>If you use Windows XP, you may notice that your photos appear
    >>darker than usual when you print from the Windows XP Photo Printing
    >>Wizard.
    >

    > And why on earth would you want to use the Windows printing "wizard"?
    > ;-)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Hecate - The Real One
    > Hecate@newsguy.com