e-machine windowshome xp to real windows xp home

Gentlemen, I purchased an e machine which came with an e machine Windows
Home XP CD. I was not happy with the CD because it did not have all the
bells and whistles that a real Windows XP home CD did. My question is, can I
just install the real windows CD right over the my present windows that is
now on my computer. Will it erase the files that are now on my computer? And
will I have a problem with the Product Key? The new CD has a product key, If
I use it, will there be a problem with the activation.
Thanks, Raymond

br549

Exactly what bell and whistles do you think you'll find on the XP Home cd
that are not already on your computer? I don't think you'll find many.

User1 wrote:

> http://www.xpsc.net/
>
> There are others.

Thanks, I bookmarked it.

> No - I am not using "Big Fix". I don't even know what it does?

It's a program they install to scan your computer and let you know of
driver, software, and security updates. Similar to the MS updates.

> It,along with Money, Works, Aol, CompuServe, Netscape, RealPlayer, MSN,
> messenger, etc. junk was the first to go.

I killed those too, except for Money and Works, I may use them some. I
installed the new Netscape though.

> Just today I did a registry scan and found over 500 dead-end items
> related to all the junk I've uninstalled and/or deleted from this computer.

I don't doubt it at all. I did everything I could to avoid getting XP,
but a computer shop did me in, by trashing my machine and holding it so
long, I had to get another one. :-\
bj

> "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net <mailto:me7@privacy.net>> wrote
> I have a 1 week old eMachine, and the only thing I can think of he may
> be looking for, is MSPLUS or MSOFFICE software. I feel as you do, I
> always have more than I want on my systems in the way of software.
>
> Is there a list somewhere at Microsoft's web site that would tell me IF
> any of my WinME or Win95 software, can be used on XP? [For example my
> MSPLUS programs.]
>
> Are you using the "Big Fix" program from eMachine?
> bj

TRENDING THREADS