Echoing back to myself with Vonage?

Hi,

I haven't had a Vonage account for about six months now, but when I did,
I used to notice that during some conversations, I would hear myself
echoing back in my own ear piece. Typically when this happened, I could
hang up, immediately call the person back and the problem would go away.
Vonage could never give me a good explanation as to why this happened.
They suggested that it might have something to do with the cordless
phone I was using; However, I would think that it the phone were at
falt, then the situation would have occured more frequently, and calling
the person right back shouldn't have resolved it. I bring this up
because I'm considering either going back to vonage, or trying something
new. Does this still occur with Vonage and if so, does anyone have ieas
as to what the cause is?

TIA,

--Al
3 answers Last reply
More about echoing back vonage

    "Al Puzzuoli" <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I haven't had a Vonage account for about six months now, but when I did,
    > I used to notice that during some conversations, I would hear myself
    > echoing back in my own ear piece. Typically when this happened, I could
    > hang up, immediately call the person back and the problem would go away.
    > Vonage could never give me a good explanation as to why this happened.
    > They suggested that it might have something to do with the cordless
    > phone I was using; However, I would think that it the phone were at
    > falt, then the situation would have occured more frequently, and calling
    > the person right back shouldn't have resolved it. I bring this up
    > because I'm considering either going back to vonage, or trying something
    > new. Does this still occur with Vonage and if so, does anyone have ieas
    > as to what the cause is?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > --Al

    I've never had echo problems with Vonage. Sound quality is great. I do get
    echo sometimes using some soft phones when the other person uses the PC
    speakers, or has the earphone volume so high as to feed back through the
    mic. I solve this problem by giving out $15 handsets for christmas (free
    shipping) which mutes the PC speakers when the handset is in use. This
    particular handset also has a volume wheel on the handset which deals well
    with my hearing loss.
    http://store.sipphonestore.com/

    I have had sound quality issues using XTen, which may be my own
    misconfiguration error.

    I have had excellent sound quality experience using Glophone. which requires
    *zero* manual configuration.

    Vonage has recently lowered the cost of the unlimited plan. It is now about
    $25 <and taxes> per month. You can now probably include the softphone for
    the same cost as you had before for the unlimited plan. (before the price
    reduction)

    Pepperoni

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:45:42 -0500, Al Puzzuoli <alpuzz@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I haven't had a Vonage account for about six months now, but when I did,
    >I used to notice that during some conversations, I would hear myself
    >echoing back in my own ear piece. Typically when this happened, I could
    >hang up, immediately call the person back and the problem would go away.
    >Vonage could never give me a good explanation as to why this happened.
    >They suggested that it might have something to do with the cordless
    >phone I was using; However, I would think that it the phone were at
    >falt, then the situation would have occured more frequently, and calling
    >the person right back shouldn't have resolved it. I bring this up
    >because I'm considering either going back to vonage, or trying something
    >new. Does this still occur with Vonage and if so, does anyone have ieas
    >as to what the cause is?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >--Al

    Do you remember what Vonage charges upon cancellation? What I mean
    is, is there any disconnection fees on top of your normal monthly fee
    when ending the service?

    In message <0vuds092jentbnm5h11636ejca0gr4uq19@4ax.com> jim wrote:

    >Do you remember what Vonage charges upon cancellation? What I mean
    >is, is there any disconnection fees on top of your normal monthly fee
    >when ending the service?

    AFAIK they charge $40USD, which is refundable if you return your ATA.

    --
    All generalizations are bad!

VPN Vonage Phones IP Networking Product