Motherboard life span

this is hard to say.

it really depends on the environment and how often you dust out the computer on the inside.

I have a computer using a 486DX166 running 24/7 for the last 10 years. The thing that usually breaks first is the power supply or hard drive.

I seen computer, which are used along the coast, die due to corrosion after about three years

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Emerald is right on, it totally depends on the environment. A properly maintained motherboard should last you quite a while. My folks have a rig that I build for them (and maintain for them) that has been running for about 8 years. I blow it out occasionally. It pretty much runs all the time.

One thing you don't really want is a case that is excessively hot. If you cram a ton of stuff in a case without the proper air flow, things will get hotter than they are supposed to, causing premature failure.

kaiteck

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

It's gone now if you're wondering.

It was something that's left in the storeroom unused for years.

KASPhoto

Honorable
Jun 11, 2015

Ok. I was just curious if it was being used for something. I have heard of older computers being used to run older wood or metal lathes that couldn't be adapted to a more modern computer and virtualization wasn't an option with the software.