Opty 165 vs FX 60

azncoduyen

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hello, sorry if this has been ask... but I was wondering which is a better chip? I read the reviews that the opty 165 can overclock to speed of around 2.6-2.8 ghz and they work like a charm. I also heard that the FX is basically an opty that is optimized for gaming. If so, which is really a better chip with no money in consideration. And also, clock to clock, which chip has a better advantage, that is if the opty 165 was oc to 2.6ghz compared to the FX 60?

endyen

Splendid
It doesn't work that way.
If you could OC the 165 to 2.6, and run the ram without a divider, it would win. That would require high end ram, extra cooling, and a lot more power. With the FX, you could OC to 3ghz or higher, without the OCers ram, and have a much cooler setup.
Having an unlocked multiplier has it's advantages. You can dial in your OC, to get the best perf.
The price difference is what makes the opty a good choice.
Oh, and the FX is higher binned silicon. At that price, it better be the best money can buy.

To reach an OC of 2.6G, you are going to need a mainboard capable of utter stability with FSB of 275-285 MHz....(mem ratios can be adjusted downward, although the best performance is usually achieved in the 220-225 Mhz (440-450 MHz DDR) area with tight timings....

Not all NF4 boards will do it....

If looking for FX60-like performance, I'd seriously wait the 50 days for the release of the $200-$300 Conroes clocked at about 2.0 - 2.2 GHz...

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
There is no such thing as gaming optimisations in FX60 CPUs, in fact, they are based on the exact same Toledo core as the dual core Opties and 1MB L2 X2's.

The only differences are the tests the cores had to pass in order to qualify for their respective bin and the unlocked multipliers on the FX60 (multipliers on all other K8 CPUs are unlocked downward).

If you take the price into consideration, you can buy three 165 Opties for the price of one FX60, giving you the opportunity to test all 3 CPUs, keep the one with the most OC'ing headroom and ebay the "rejects". Statistically speaking, you are likely to get a golden core out of the bunch.

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
you can't talk about these proccessors without bringing up price. The FX60 is the best chip if your talking pure preformance, but the cost is a real hit on the wallet. 1k$ for a chip? Well I may not do as well with my Opty 165 as I can with the FX60 chipwise, but I can spend the rest of the money on a better video card, motherboard, storage, after putting the money into a 165.

Preformance per $ my money is on the Opty 165. For overall preformance, its on the FX60. It really depends on how much money your willing to spend. I guess you would say I'm more into the cheaper side of things......

Farrwalker

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hello, sorry if this has been ask... but I was wondering which is a better chip? I read the reviews that the opty 165 can overclock to speed of around 2.6-2.8 ghz and they work like a charm. I also heard that the FX is basically an opty that is optimized for gaming. If so, which is really a better chip with no money in consideration. And also, clock to clock, which chip has a better advantage, that is if the opty 165 was oc to 2.6ghz compared to the FX 60?

I paid $327.00 for my Opteron 165 last week.
The FX-60 goes for about $1000.00.
I have the Opteron running at 2700MHz. It beats the numbers of a FX-60 at default clock speed (2600MHz) in SiSoftware Sandra 2007.
This ignores the possiblility of overclocking the FX-60. Remember both chips use the Toledo core.

RichPLS

Champion
I have an A8R32-MVP board with an Opteron 175 running at 11x 240 making 2.64GHz, and my system benches every which significantly faster than a stock FX-60, and I paid only $459 for it delivered from NewEgg in December 2005.