Sign in with
Your question

Zalman CNPS9500AT Heat Pipes - Page 2

Last response: in Overclocking
May 26, 2006 5:48:14 PM

Heatpipes lead the heat from hot to cold areas , usually top area , so that's why cooler have fan to blow out the heat , so in horizontal or vertical , cooler will work as in all heat pipe coolers models, the fan creat the cold spot to transmit the heat away from CPU . As in all models, fan are big, the horizontal or vertical position problem is minimal ...
Related resources
May 26, 2006 6:59:23 PM

Quote:
Negative! Not that SAC.

$SAC="Strategic Air Command";

I was just funnin' ya. I'm not Air Force either. I've worked as a contractor for fighter jet projects, cool stuff, but they would never allow a cynic like me in the military. My avatar came off of a B-52 that sat on the ramp next to our C-130 near Seattle a few weeks ago. Man oh man, wouldn't it be cool to have your own B-52?
May 26, 2006 7:21:45 PM

Quote:
Negative! Not that SAC.

$SAC="Strategic Air Command";

I was just funnin' ya. I'm not Air Force either. I've worked as a contractor for fighter jet projects, cool stuff, but they would never allow a cynic like me in the military. My avatar came off of a B-52 that sat on the ramp next to our C-130 near Seattle a few weeks ago. Man oh man, wouldn't it be cool to have your own B-52?

I had a feeling you were pulling my leg.

I'd rather have a few of these:

:-D
May 26, 2006 7:58:19 PM

Quote:
I'd rather have a few of these:

You ought to see the skin of the Stealth fighters and bombers up close! It is incredibly beautiful. I hear they are a royal beehatch to fly, so I guess I'd just have to sit in the cockpit and make bombing sounds while playing COD2 and my flight sims...
May 26, 2006 10:04:41 PM

Quote:
Ohhh I see now Its a tiny tiny amout of liquid that I might not be able to see "oozing out"! Of course! Opps it evaporated so fast i just didnt quite manage see it!

Its obvious that you fail to understand how a heat pipe works, and I had a feeling you were going to say that.

Quote:
One more question? Do you think that Zalman use LN2 to pump out those 9500s? Do you know how hard and how dangerous it is to work with LN2! Do you know how hard it is to maintin oxygen levels in a room full of LN2? You should look up the MSDS of the LN2 while you look up the MSDS of the 9500s.

Why would you care? Next time go out and by a Heatsink with a Heat Pipe based on solid copper... That is if you could find one out there, which I don't think you will find.

Quote:
Hrmz MSDS for 9500, shall we look under "z" for zalman or "h" for heat pipes?

Why don't you just buy a 9500, cut the pipe, inhale the liquid. If you die from it, we will never hear from you again. If you live through it, then I guess we will hear from you, with a description of the after effects.

Quote:
Ok I admint what wikpedia says is true a heat pipe can be constructed and yes it can conduct heat very well and yes it has its applications.

Wikpedia also says that heat pipe technology is an expensive way to goand I quote. "This method is expensive and usually used when space is tight (as in small form-factor PC's), or absolute quiet is needed (computers used in audio production studios during live recording).

Where the hell does it say that? Provide a link to it, so we can see that.

BTW, you need to learn how to quote better. :roll:

And besides, we are talking about HSF on a general PC. Not a recording studio.

Quote:
Do you think zalman would make these liquid filled heat pipes on the 9500s and sell them for only 60 bucks?? Wouldnt it be cheaper for zalman to make the 9500s with solid bits of copper? Do you ever think Zalman are just "marketing" a product and just using jargon and hype to sell?

Why? Are you considering buying a Zalman 9500? If you think its a ripoff then buy something else. There are cheaper ones, that can do as good or even better. If you don't want to hear that it has a coolant in the pipes, just continue to imagine they are solid pipes of copper.

Okay I was bored, and thought I'd reply back. :D 
May 27, 2006 6:08:35 AM

I agree :-D

And would like to add this:

http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/pa/science21/HeatPipes.html

Quote:

will include work in the area of heat pipes

Heat pipes are pencil-sized metal tubes that move heat from one end of the tube to the other without the aid of a pump. Within the heat pipe, heat vaporizes a small amount of fluid at the pipe's hot end, the fluid travels to the other, slightly cooler end and condenses before returning to the hot end through a capillary wick, where it repeats the process. The device efficiently transfers large quantities of heat.

Being studied for future space-age travel, heat-pipe technology was borrowed from rudimentary heat-conducting pipes used by English bakers100 years ago. Heat pipes vary greatly in size, depending upon their particular use. Some are the size of hypodermic needles, while larger versions stretch to 24 feet. Modern applications of this technology include miniature heat pipes that cool the chips inside most laptop computers. Heat pipes work efficiently in a zero-gravity environment; commercially developed heat pipes are now routinely used to cool electronics in communications satellites.

Modern heat pipe technology was first developed at Los Alamos nearly 40 years ago. Engineer George Grover, who did much of the pioneering and theoretical work on heat pipes at Los Alamos, demonstrated the first heat pipe in 1963.

Early Los Alamos heat pipes contained water or sodium. Now they often use lithium, a soft silver-white chemical element that is the lightest known metal. When placed inside a molybdenum pipe, which can operate at white-hot temperatures approaching 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit, the lithium vaporizes and carries heat down the length of the pipe. A lithium heat pipe developed at Los Alamos in the mid-1980s transferred heat energy at a power density of 23 kilowatts per square centimeter. To put this figure in perspective, heat is emitted from the sun's surface at six kilowatts per square centimeter.

In 1996, three Los Alamos heat pipes, prototypes of liquid-metal heat pipes to be used in advanced spacecraft, were flown and tested aboard the space shuttle Endeavor. The pipes operated at temperatures exceeding 900 degrees Fahrenheit and performed flawlessly. Today Los Alamos is working with NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., to develop heat pipes for use in generating electricity and propulsion of spacecraft journeying to the solar system's outer limits.

Los Alamos researchers are developing heat pipes for other applications as well as they take their research to the next level and are interacting with potential collaborators on problems that can be solved using this technology. Scientists recently worked with NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va., in the design of a futuristic hypersonic aerospace plane, a 10,000-mile-an-hour aircraft that would take off from a runway like a jet, but then complete most of its flight in low-Earth orbit. Heat pipes cooling the leading edges of the wings and engine ducts of such a plane could open the door to two-hour New York-to-Tokyo flights.

CONTACT: Todd Hanson at tahanson@lanl.gov or (505) 665-2085. For more "Science for the 21st Century," go to http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/pa/science21 on the World Wide Web.

There are expensive ones used in spacecraft and other applications and inexpensive ones used in HSFs.
February 17, 2008 7:54:20 PM

ok i would like to point out a few things.
first if the pipes where solid it would cost a fortune and weigh allot more. so NO they are not solid copper.

second the principal of a heat pipe is that you have a loop of hollow pipe where at some point (not the top) it gets hot. the hot filling moves to the top and cold filling takes it's place this starts the convection. if yo have liquid turning to gas you're gonna get allot of convection. but just a hollow tube of air will do better than a solid one. so why spend money on solid copper when you could use and empty pipe and increase performance. ... so they are not solid.

Third. if you have a hollow pipe and filling it with something cheep can make it work better why not. There are lots of cheep non flammable refrigerants on the market. lookup some specs on r403a it is the latest synthetic refrigerant in wide use. But there are so many choices for refrigerant liquids that they probably have have some non flammable liquid that vaporises at about 45 degrees c in there. i would bet r403a most new air conditioning systems are filled with hundreds of liters of this stuff.

so is every body happy now.

to recap solid copper is expensive and less effective, hollow pipes work but safe refrigerants are cheep and plentiful. so for the 80 bucks your dropping they probably have 10 cents of r403a in there or something like it. R134a, R403A, R403B, R404A, R407C, R408A, R410A, R413A, R417A, R507
are all common in heat pipes.

:) 
February 17, 2008 8:11:26 PM

Did you really have to drag a thread that's 2 years old?
February 17, 2008 10:37:28 PM

oh wow i didn't see how old it was. i just thought people where being going in circles being silly. so i thought i would explain why liquid filed pipes are the way it is. wow thats was 2 years ago. ok well i feel sill now.
May 7, 2013 11:09:19 AM

What do you think about cutting open the pipes and running water cooling into it?
I'm thinking of making my Zalman into a water block.

At least I looked for old threads before I posted : )
      • 2 / 2
!