Compatabillity Issues

bixarr

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Hello folks, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this but its a homebuilt system so here goes:

Windows refuses to boot. Halfway through booting the whole machine just shuts down, completley. POST is fine, it finds all the components but something initializing in windows causes total system shutdown.

I just upgraded all of my machine except the harddrive, all the individual components work fine. Memtested, RAM flashed BIOS etc. I can boot while no graphics driver is installed but if I install a graphics driver the machine just packs up.

Have tried both CCC and Omega with the same result.

non-working setup is:

MOBO: Sapphire Pure Crossfire Adv.XP3200

RAM: TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 2048MB Dual Pack Kit w/two matched PC3200 DDR DIMMs

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz Socket 939 1MB

GC: Sapphire Radeon x1800xt 512mb

PSU: Silverstone Strider 560W

As I now have a second complete PC I have been able to determine that all components work fine as long as I only use them in pairs (CPU, RAM, GC) but I can't seem to run it with all three of those together.
I am now running the machine on TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Dual Pack Kit w/two matched PC3200 DDR DIMMs and it works fine..

bixarr

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Yes, since I changed MOBO I had to reinstall Windows, in fact I think I must have reinstalled 5 or 6 times.

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I had similiar problems with some nforce3 asus board with ati 9600xt.

The chipset drivers and ati drivers were in some kind of conflict.

I menaged that on some way :?

Try with drivers, first install graphic card, restart, and then install chipset drivers and vice versa.

If you use a catalyst drivers or the old omega it wont work :oops: .

Try to find a driver that is only for your card.

My friend have 1600xt and cant use catalyst drivers so i downloaded him a driver from MSI site.

Try!

GrTz!

"I can boot while no graphics driver is installed but if I install a graphics driver the machine just packs up.
"

I believe there is also some sort of MS .NET/frame (?) download required with ATI CAT series, although I cannot remember exactly what it is called...

(Do you have video cards supplemental PCI-e pwr input connected?)

bixarr

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I believe there is also some sort of MS .NET/frame (?) download required with ATI CAT series, although I cannot remember exactly what it is called...

If you mean the 1.1 and 2.0 .net framework I have tried with both of them unsuccesfully..

(Do you have video cards supplemental PCI-e pwr input connected?)

Yes I do

bixarr

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
First thanks for all the tips, I am very grateful for all the suggestions cause I'm at a total loss with this thing.

Right so I've tried clearing the CMOS, installing drivers in different order and even the older drivers from ATI.

At the moment no success...But if anyone can think of anything I'm prepared to try.

bixarr

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Yeah at the moment I'm using the same make and model but 1Gig RAM, 2 x 512.
The 2gig RAM set works fine in my old PC, together with CCC or Omega the only difference being the CPU in this case. I got a single core AMD 64 in my old rig but have a x2 in my new...
Oh and yes I have tried swapping MOBO's without success.

bixarr

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I've tried to only install the graphics driver on a fresh windows but no success but I'll give that diagnostics startup a go.
In the mean time what do you guys think about the voltages on the RAM?

Twinmos recommends using 2.8V but my MOBO only does 2.5V and I can't find where to increase the voltage..