PC reboots when adjusting mem clock speeds on X1800XL

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Brought this up about 6-7 weeks ago, but thought I might get some fresh opinions. The vpu oc's to 575MHz just fine but if I try to increase the memory speed, by any amount, my pc just shuts down and restarts. This happens in CCC Overdrive & ATI Tool. I've put in a new motherboard since I last posted and thought that maybe the problem would have gone, but obviously hasn't. Any reason this might be, or do I just have to accept that I've got bad video memory and leave it at that?

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
You're probably blue-screening. Disable auto-reboot in advanced system options (control panel).

What card do you have?

Are you cooling your card with anything other than your stock cooler?

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
"Hahahaha" very funny, we'll see whane you get into the same problem as he will.

OK perhaps its on overheating issue with your card, thats what sound like to me. Take off the heatsink, and the thermal paste and replace it with this:http://www.frozencpu.com/thr-26.html?id=W22q3vdY
Temps are bound to drop with this bad boy into place. :twisted:
Check for your drivers as well.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
"
OK perhaps its on overheating issue with your card, thats what sound like to me. Take off the heatsink, and the thermal paste and replace it with this:http://www.frozencpu.com/thr-26.html?id=W22q3vdY
Temps are bound to drop with this bad boy into place. :twisted:
Check for your drivers as well.

Hey I looked at that stuff and it says not to get it in contact with aluminum and I thought that the cpus IHS was made of, aluminum. It also says not to get it close to circuits bc it conducts electricity and I don’t know about a x1800xl but my cards gpu is naked no IHS and using this could be a no no if you don’t know how to apply it correctly.

And why don’t amd and intel use copper for the IHS that would be nice, I know amd now provides a copper based stock hsf so why not put a little more into making a copper ihs? Just a thought.

iamsexyrob

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I have the same problem, kinda...

I have a x1900 A-I-W and whenever I increase the ram speed at all, even 1 step up in atitool the screen turns black and the video goes out. it seems like the computer is still fine but yeah without video its no good. So i hold to the powerbutton and restart and everything works fine. Im really hoping is a heat problem and not just crappy ram. the processor over clocks fine stock runs at 500 and mines at 625... but the ram wont go above 477... just crashes when adjusted.

any tips for me?

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I have the same problem as you. Right now im thinking that it might be bad ram, but it is curious when we change it just one mhz, it crashes. you would think that there might be a LITTLE room there to play with. I did replace the HSF with a zalman vf900-cu and the ramsinks. The gpu and ram temps are much lower, and I'm thinking that I might just try the overclocking thing again. When i get home from work I'll let you know how i make out.

BTW i have an ATI 1800XL.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
It doesn't sound like a heat issue at all to me...

Heat issues usually have some sort of intermittent delay.

Rule of thumb: If it's consistent, it's software. It it's a little different every time, it's hardware. If it's blue-screening instantly, it could be a bug in the ATI tool that OC's the RAM; Bad memory address or something.

It could also be a crappy memory controller that doesn't allow you to adjust the clock speed, or it doesn't do it properly. What brand of X1800XL do you have? ATI?

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
yea, i have an ATI, not sure what the OP has. I really dont think its a heat thing either, but i though i would still try it. I only tried with CCC and not ati tool, no that is a lie. I tried with ati tool with its automated overclocking. after about 30 minutes of it underclocking in very small steps i became inpatient and stopped. Im going to try manally tonight to up it up a little to see if it crashes. if so, then i think it is the software. I know that some people are getting rather good clocks on their mem (cleeve for one) with the 1800xls. It just doesnt make sense that some of us here cant up it 1 mhz without it going to hell on us.

EDIT: it actually does not blue screen and spit out an error messsage in my situation. The screen either goes gray, red, or black, and then the thing reboots.

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
well, the verdict is in and with ati tool i can get 600 on the core and 585 on the mem. It let me change it with no problems. im not sure what to think or to say on the subject. I dont know weather to attribute it to the better cooling with the zalman stuff or it just decided to work with ati tool. Not much help to you guys that cant do it with CCC or ati tool, i know. There is one thing i did notice when i took off the stock HSF. There was two sided "thermal" tape on the mem chips making a connection with the HSF. it was at least 1/16 of an inch thick and with a foam like consistancy. I dont think that it is very good for cooling, the chips are probably better off naked. The adhesive on the ram sinks with the zalman is paper thin.

my 2 cents.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Just for your information, the IHS is made of zinc plated copper.

as for overclocking with ATITOOL, i would recomend the folowing:

1 ) Start ATITool and click the "Settings" button in the lower right hand corner
2 ) Select "Artifact Scanning" fron the drop down menu at the top
3 ) Check the "Stop scanning for maximum clock after ---- seconds without artifacts" box
4 ) Enter 7200 for the number of seconds
5 ) Click the "Back" button in the lower right hand corner
6 ) Click the "Find Max Core" button and then find something to do for the next 2&1/2 hours
7 ) After 7200 seconds of stable clock speed a dialog box will appear to inform you of the max stable core speed. Click "OK"
8 ) Click the "Find Max Mem" button and then find something to do for the next 2&1/2 hours
(It will warn you about overclocking the mem when the core is overclocked - just click past this)
9 ) You'll see the dialog box again, this time with your optimal core and mem speeds! Click "OK"
10 ) In the "Profile" section at the top, click "New"
11 ) Name this speed profile whatever you want then click "OK"

Hope this helps :wink: