Looking for a good colour/B & W printer

jackman

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002

Wondering what is about which will give a good colour output but will
also print good black and white prints as well.
I was thinking of the Epson R800 as reviews have said that this is a
fine printer, but, there are problems with clogging. I don't fancy
paying out £200 for a printer that could soon fail. but then I am
going on other peoples opinions. But I like the idea of the pigment
inks and their colourfastness.

then there is the Canon IP5000, I've seen the colour output from this
one and it is very good, but not seen the B & W.

So, any suggestions for a printer for about £200 or less?

The IP4000 is better than the IP5000 unless you are printing a great
deal of business documents. However, if B&W is very important and you
are very fussy than the HP photo ink jets might be best. They do have
the best B&W but the printer requires constant cartridge switching to
get it.

jackman wrote:

>Wondering what is about which will give a good colour output but will
>also print good black and white prints as well.
>I was thinking of the Epson R800 as reviews have said that this is a
>fine printer, but, there are problems with clogging. I don't fancy
>paying out £200 for a printer that could soon fail. but then I am
>going on other peoples opinions. But I like the idea of the pigment
>inks and their colourfastness.
>
>then there is the Canon IP5000, I've seen the colour output from this
>one and it is very good, but not seen the B & W.
>
>So, any suggestions for a printer for about £200 or less?

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

I have seen absolutely stunning quality Monochrome Prints from an R800.
Both on Glossy paper and on Matt. They were printed at 5600 dpi to produce
the very even gradation from paper white to pure black.

The owner of the printer uses a 300D for his digital work. When I first got
to know him he used a MF camera, and applied his own "Zone System" sort of
regime to his exposure and subsequent film developement in order to ensure
the fullest range of tones, and his Mono Print Quality was awesome.

He is ecstatic about the Print Quality coming out of his R800. He claims it
is giving him better quality than he ever managed in the Darkroom. How much
of this quality can be attributed to his skill and his very meticulous ways
of working, rather than to the abilities of the Printer, is something I do
not know.

But if the Printer had any weaknesses, he would certainly be aware of them
and would say so, but, as I said he is ecstatic.

Roy G