September 17, 2004 11:02:28 PM

I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
me about not being able to startup
C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
function.)

Thanks. . . Help!
Peggy
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 12:37:03 AM

qttask.exe is from Quick time, may be spyware , click here to remove:
http://www.2-spyware.com/file-qttask-exe.html

"Peggy B" wrote:

> I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
> On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
> me about not being able to startup
> C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
> already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
> have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
> way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
> OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
> function.)
>
> Thanks. . . Help!
> Peggy

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 12:39:04 AM

there is no reference to ottak.exe, you mean qttask.exe-spyware
"Peggy B" wrote:

> I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
> On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
> me about not being able to startup
> C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
> already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
> have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
> way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
> OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
> function.)
>
> Thanks. . . Help!
> Peggy

September 18, 2004 12:41:02 AM

if it is ottask.exe, look here, probably spyware:
http://p216.ezboard.com/fholidaytruthscommunityfrm159.s...

"Peggy B" wrote:

> I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
> On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
> me about not being able to startup
> C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
> already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
> have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
> way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
> OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
> function.)
>
> Thanks. . . Help!
> Peggy

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 11:02:01 AM

I think you may be right -- MANY thanks -- the same site
offers an alternative and says that sometimes spyware
will try to LOOK like something innocent with a similar
name (could explain the "O" if it is that, instead
of "Q"!)

!