I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
me about not being able to startup
C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
function.)

Thanks. . . Help!
Peggy
4 answers Last reply
More about loading error start

    qttask.exe is from Quick time, may be spyware , click here to remove:
    http://www.2-spyware.com/file-qttask-exe.html

    "Peggy B" wrote:

    > I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
    > On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
    > me about not being able to startup
    > C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
    > already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
    > have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
    > way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
    > OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
    > function.)
    >
    > Thanks. . . Help!
    > Peggy

    there is no reference to ottak.exe, you mean qttask.exe-spyware
    "Peggy B" wrote:

    > I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
    > On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
    > me about not being able to startup
    > C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
    > already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
    > have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
    > way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
    > OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
    > function.)
    >
    > Thanks. . . Help!
    > Peggy

    if it is ottask.exe, look here, probably spyware:
    http://p216.ezboard.com/fholidaytruthscommunityfrm159.showMessage?topicID=293.topic

    "Peggy B" wrote:

    > I've recently downloaded SP2 (mistake? I don't know yet!)
    > On start up I get a black dos-looking window that tells
    > me about not being able to startup
    > C:\Windows\System\OTTASK.exe because a memory manager is
    > already loaded. Then I get a duplicate message where I
    > have the option to either close or ignore, and the only
    > way to continue is to close. How do I disable this
    > OTTASK.exe (which I cannot find using the search
    > function.)
    >
    > Thanks. . . Help!
    > Peggy

    I think you may be right -- MANY thanks -- the same site
    offers an alternative and says that sometimes spyware
    will try to LOOK like something innocent with a similar
    name (could explain the "O" if it is that, instead
    of "Q"!)

Microsoft Windows XP