Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Pro Can't Find Ethernet Printers

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:54:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I am trying to get a Dell computer with XP Pro to use two ethernet
printers that are attached to a 10baseT hubs. One is a Laserjet 4000tn
with an internal jet direct card (I believe it is a 600n). The other is
plotter with an external jet direct EX plus. I try installing the
printers using the wizard in XP i.e. choosing local printer, creating a
new TCP/IP port and choosing the printers from the list. However, I
cannot get either to print. I have a few Macs connected to the same hub
and they recognize them no problem. I know the ethernet port on the PC
works as I am able to control it remotely using remote dektop from my Mac.

Any thoughts?


Thanks.
--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:54:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rob Munach <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get a Dell computer with XP Pro to use two ethernet
> printers that are attached to a 10baseT hubs. One is a Laserjet 4000tn
> with an internal jet direct card (I believe it is a 600n). The other is
> plotter with an external jet direct EX plus. I try installing the
> printers using the wizard in XP i.e. choosing local printer, creating a
> new TCP/IP port and choosing the printers from the list. However, I
> cannot get either to print. I have a few Macs connected to the same hub
> and they recognize them no problem. I know the ethernet port on the PC
> works as I am able to control it remotely using remote dektop from my Mac.

Telnet or use your web browser to connect to the printer and check the
configuration. This certainly can be made to work. Is the Dell on the
same subnet as the printers?

--
Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:00:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Warren Block wrote:

> Rob Munach <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to get a Dell computer with XP Pro to use two ethernet
>>printers that are attached to a 10baseT hubs. One is a Laserjet 4000tn
>>with an internal jet direct card (I believe it is a 600n). The other is
>>plotter with an external jet direct EX plus. I try installing the
>>printers using the wizard in XP i.e. choosing local printer, creating a
>>new TCP/IP port and choosing the printers from the list. However, I
>>cannot get either to print. I have a few Macs connected to the same hub
>>and they recognize them no problem. I know the ethernet port on the PC
>>works as I am able to control it remotely using remote dektop from my Mac.
>
>
> Telnet or use your web browser to connect to the printer and check the
> configuration. This certainly can be made to work. Is the Dell on the
> same subnet as the printers?
>

Can you explain how to connect using telnet or a browser? Please excuse
my ignorance as I am mainly a Mac user and most things are just plug and
play without having to set subnet masks etc. Do I need to set up some
sort of network on the PC side to get this to work? I printed out a
config page for the external Jet Direct box and it ays the subnet mask
is "not specified" the internal jet direct box does have a subnet mask.

Thanks for your help, Warren.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
Related resources
March 1, 2005 5:42:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rob,

I'm not familiar with the printers you're using nor how their integrated
print server needs to be set up - but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last
night.........;-)

Actually, I just did finish installing a new network of 8 workstations and 2
multi-port print servers.

In theory, your system needs to be set up thusly:

1. Each printer (internal print server) needs to be assigned an IP address
on the network. This can be done automatically via DHCP or manually by
assigning an IP to each device.

2. Then the device (print server) needs to be associated (connected to) the
physical printer. This is typically done using the software that comes with
the print server - whether it is an integrated device or an external print
server. If the print server software can't find the printer connected to
it - neither will anything else.

3. Once the printer servers are recognized on the network you should be able
to install a new printer. Even though the printer is a networked printer,
when you use the Add Printer Wizard, you use the "Local Printer" selection
and then make the appropriate selections (not shared, default printer or
not) and then select the printer from the list or install from a specific
location.

4. Selecting which port the printer is attached to may be the problem.
You're making a new TCP/IP port which may be correct but if you have
installed the print server software (two different installations in your
case) you should find "Print Server" as one of the choices. Try that and
then be sure to associate the correct printer with the right print server.

5. I found that it was better not to select "Do you want a Test Print"
during the install process. Reboot then do your test prints. Some print
servers will give you a diagnostic printout just fine but you still can't do
a Windows Test Print. Try rebooting before pulling your hair out and
re-initializing the print servers (power on/off) and printers.

6. Also, some print servers do not handle "Bi-directional" printing very
well. Should you have some weirdness going on - try deselecting that option.
Even if you do have it selected and all appears to work well, you may not
get all the printer info (ink levels, etc.) reported back. That sometimes
is the nature of the beast and you live with that if everything else works.
But be sure to check for updates just in case.

7. I've had problems with PCL-6 not working "correctly" when PCL-5 worked
just fine on several vintage HP printers (2200 series). So don't be afraid
to drop back to an earlier version driver. Even HP doesn't have an
explanation for some things.

8. Finally - if you can't ping the address (command prompt .... c:\ping
192.168.xxx.xxx) and get a reply - then you have a setup problem. My example
of the IP address may not match your system.

The above is a generic type approach and may or may not be close to your
situation but you should be able to find instructions in the documentation
for each print server. The manuals and updated drivers are most likely
available on-line for each device.

Bob S.


"Rob Munach" <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:jiNUd.87884$Th1.53569@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I am trying to get a Dell computer with XP Pro to use two ethernet
> printers that are attached to a 10baseT hubs. One is a Laserjet 4000tn
> with an internal jet direct card (I believe it is a 600n). The other is
> plotter with an external jet direct EX plus. I try installing the
> printers using the wizard in XP i.e. choosing local printer, creating a
> new TCP/IP port and choosing the printers from the list. However, I
> cannot get either to print. I have a few Macs connected to the same hub
> and they recognize them no problem. I know the ethernet port on the PC
> works as I am able to control it remotely using remote dektop from my Mac.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Rob Munach, PE
> Excel Engineering
> PO Box 1264
> Carrboro, NC 27510
>
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:50:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

BobS wrote:

> Rob,
>
> I'm not familiar with the printers you're using nor how their integrated
> print server needs to be set up - but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last
> night.........;-)
>
> Actually, I just did finish installing a new network of 8 workstations and 2
> multi-port print servers.
>
> In theory, your system needs to be set up thusly:
>
> 1. Each printer (internal print server) needs to be assigned an IP address
> on the network. This can be done automatically via DHCP or manually by
> assigning an IP to each device.

Please excuse my ignorance as I am not familar with networks. As I
previously stated, my Mac recognizes both of these printers and there is
not an explicit network setup. I never had any jetdirect software or
neede it. They are simply plugged into the same hub. The IP address of
the extenal jet direrct box is always 192.0.0.192 I don't believe this
can be changed.
>
> 2. Then the device (print server) needs to be associated (connected to) the
> physical printer. This is typically done using the software that comes with
> the print server - whether it is an integrated device or an external print
> server. If the print server software can't find the printer connected to
> it - neither will anything else.
>
> 3. Once the printer servers are recognized on the network you should be able
> to install a new printer. Even though the printer is a networked printer,
> when you use the Add Printer Wizard, you use the "Local Printer" selection
> and then make the appropriate selections (not shared, default printer or
> not) and then select the printer from the list or install from a specific
> location.
>
> 4. Selecting which port the printer is attached to may be the problem.
> You're making a new TCP/IP port which may be correct but if you have
> installed the print server software (two different installations in your
> case) you should find "Print Server" as one of the choices. Try that and
> then be sure to associate the correct printer with the right print server.
>
> 5. I found that it was better not to select "Do you want a Test Print"
> during the install process. Reboot then do your test prints. Some print
> servers will give you a diagnostic printout just fine but you still can't do
> a Windows Test Print. Try rebooting before pulling your hair out and
> re-initializing the print servers (power on/off) and printers.
>
> 6. Also, some print servers do not handle "Bi-directional" printing very
> well. Should you have some weirdness going on - try deselecting that option.
> Even if you do have it selected and all appears to work well, you may not
> get all the printer info (ink levels, etc.) reported back. That sometimes
> is the nature of the beast and you live with that if everything else works.
> But be sure to check for updates just in case.
>
> 7. I've had problems with PCL-6 not working "correctly" when PCL-5 worked
> just fine on several vintage HP printers (2200 series). So don't be afraid
> to drop back to an earlier version driver. Even HP doesn't have an
> explanation for some things.
>
> 8. Finally - if you can't ping the address (command prompt .... c:\ping
> 192.168.xxx.xxx) and get a reply - then you have a setup problem. My example
> of the IP address may not match your system.

I tried pinging but to no avail. I will try to find some jetdirect admin
software and see what happens.
>
> The above is a generic type approach and may or may not be close to your
> situation but you should be able to find instructions in the documentation
> for each print server. The manuals and updated drivers are most likely
> available on-line for each device.
>
> Bob S.
>
>
Thanks for your help.

-Rob








> "Rob Munach" <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:jiNUd.87884$Th1.53569@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>I am trying to get a Dell computer with XP Pro to use two ethernet
>>printers that are attached to a 10baseT hubs. One is a Laserjet 4000tn
>>with an internal jet direct card (I believe it is a 600n). The other is
>>plotter with an external jet direct EX plus. I try installing the
>>printers using the wizard in XP i.e. choosing local printer, creating a
>>new TCP/IP port and choosing the printers from the list. However, I
>>cannot get either to print. I have a few Macs connected to the same hub
>>and they recognize them no problem. I know the ethernet port on the PC
>>works as I am able to control it remotely using remote dektop from my Mac.
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>
>>
>>Thanks.
>>--
>>Rob Munach, PE
>>Excel Engineering
>>PO Box 1264
>>Carrboro, NC 27510
>>
>
>
>


--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:29:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Bob,

I downloaded the Jetadmin software and was able to get the Laserjet 4000
to work. The software won't, however, recognze my plotter with the
external jetdirect box. I am able to telnet to the box from my Mac, but
not the PC. I may try to update the firmware on the box and see if that
helps.


Thanks
>


--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
March 2, 2005 4:52:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rob,

Do both print servers use the same version of the admin software? You may
need two separate print server drivers on each computer if that admin
software doesn't work for both. Don't assume it does unless the
documentation say's it includes the exact models you have. If it does work
for both, then usually you have an admin software that gets loaded on one
computer that is used to access the print server and make any changes and
the other computers get the "client or user" module installed which is
simply the port director/driver. I've not had a problem installing the admin
software on more than one computer and using it but my recent experience is
with LinkSys and Hawking print servers. So check what the doc's say about
what modules (admin / client) get loaded and if it even matters.

As for the plotter, you didn't mention a model but be sure you know what
kind of interface it has. If it has a 25 pin connector, that could be RS232
serial or IBM parallel - both use the DB25 connector. I know HP supported
both on some plotters (my HP200 does). The legacy plotters are different
animals than printers and most required bi-directional communications.

It sounds like you're on the right track by getting at least one of the
beasts talking...

Typically, HP plotters have a diagnostic capability on the front panel
(LED's or LCD) which may give you a clue. If it looks like it's receiving
data but not plotting - go thru the troubleshooting steps (see the manual)
which should help nail it down. It may be simply that it was configured to
use the parallel port and you're now using the serial port -or visa-versa.

So many problems and so few solutions.............;-)

Bob S.


"Rob Munach" <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:e95Vd.91114$Th1.27227@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Bob,
>
> I downloaded the Jetadmin software and was able to get the Laserjet 4000
> to work. The software won't, however, recognze my plotter with the
> external jetdirect box. I am able to telnet to the box from my Mac, but
> not the PC. I may try to update the firmware on the box and see if that
> helps.
>
>
> Thanks
> >
>
>
> --
> Rob Munach, PE
> Excel Engineering
> PO Box 1264
> Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:47:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rob Munach <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the Jetadmin software and was able to get the Laserjet 4000
> to work. The software won't, however, recognze my plotter with the
> external jetdirect box. I am able to telnet to the box from my Mac, but
> not the PC. I may try to update the firmware on the box and see if that
> helps.

Don't. You say in an earlier post that it is at 192.0.0.192. That's an
HP default, which is not going to be in the same subnet as your Dell.

Unfortunately, you give no information on what you have. Is the Dell a
new addition? Do you have other non-Mac computers on the network? Do
the printers work with them?

Here is a post which describes installing a network printer on Windows
XP, step-by-step:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printe...

Use ipconfig to find out the IP address and netmask of the Dell. It is
likely 192.168.1.x, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. Choose an address
for the printer (we'll say 192.168.1.y) in the same subnet, as described
in the article.

If you can get JetAdmin to see the external JetDirect, you can set its
new IP address and the same netmask as used on the Dell there.
Otherwise, you can telnet to the JetAdmin and set the values from the
menu system there.

--
Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:53:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Warren Block wrote:

> Rob Munach <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I downloaded the Jetadmin software and was able to get the Laserjet 4000
>>to work. The software won't, however, recognze my plotter with the
>>external jetdirect box. I am able to telnet to the box from my Mac, but
>>not the PC. I may try to update the firmware on the box and see if that
>>helps.
>
>
> Don't. You say in an earlier post that it is at 192.0.0.192. That's an
> HP default, which is not going to be in the same subnet as your Dell.
>
> Unfortunately, you give no information on what you have. Is the Dell a
> new addition?

The Dell is a new addition.

Do you have other non-Mac computers on the network?

No.

Do
> the printers work with them?

N/A
>
> Here is a post which describes installing a network printer on Windows
> XP, step-by-step:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printe...
>
> Use ipconfig to find out the IP address and netmask of the Dell. It is
> likely 192.168.1.x, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. Choose an address
> for the printer (we'll say 192.168.1.y) in the same subnet, as described
> in the article.
>
> If you can get JetAdmin to see the external JetDirect, you can set its
> new IP address and the same netmask as used on the Dell there.
> Otherwise, you can telnet to the JetAdmin and set the values from the
> menu system there.
>
Thanks, Warren.
I'll check it out.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:57:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

BobS wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Do both print servers use the same version of the admin software? You may
> need two separate print server drivers on each computer if that admin
> software doesn't work for both. Don't assume it does unless the
> documentation say's it includes the exact models you have. If it does work
> for both, then usually you have an admin software that gets loaded on one
> computer that is used to access the print server and make any changes and
> the other computers get the "client or user" module installed which is
> simply the port director/driver. I've not had a problem installing the admin
> software on more than one computer and using it but my recent experience is
> with LinkSys and Hawking print servers. So check what the doc's say about
> what modules (admin / client) get loaded and if it even matters.

I am still working on admin software. It sounds like Warren's post may
do the trick.
>
> As for the plotter, you didn't mention a model but be sure you know what
> kind of interface it has. If it has a 25 pin connector, that could be RS232
> serial or IBM parallel - both use the DB25 connector. I know HP supported
> both on some plotters (my HP200 does). The legacy plotters are different
> animals than printers and most required bi-directional communications.
>
> It sounds like you're on the right track by getting at least one of the
> beasts talking...

The plotter isn't even receiving information
>
> Typically, HP plotters have a diagnostic capability on the front panel
> (LED's or LCD) which may give you a clue. If it looks like it's receiving
> data but not plotting - go thru the troubleshooting steps (see the manual)
> which should help nail it down. It may be simply that it was configured to
> use the parallel port and you're now using the serial port -or visa-versa.
>
> So many problems and so few solutions.............;-)
>
> Bob S.
>
Thanks Bob.



>
> "Rob Munach" <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:e95Vd.91114$Th1.27227@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>Bob,
>>
>>I downloaded the Jetadmin software and was able to get the Laserjet 4000
>>to work. The software won't, however, recognze my plotter with the
>>external jetdirect box. I am able to telnet to the box from my Mac, but
>>not the PC. I may try to update the firmware on the box and see if that
>>helps.
>>
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>
>>--
>>Rob Munach, PE
>>Excel Engineering
>>PO Box 1264
>>Carrboro, NC 27510
>
>
>


--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:45:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rob Munach wrote:

> Warren Block wrote:
>
>> Rob Munach <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I downloaded the Jetadmin software and was able to get the Laserjet
>>> 4000 to work. The software won't, however, recognze my plotter with
>>> the external jetdirect box. I am able to telnet to the box from my
>>> Mac, but not the PC. I may try to update the firmware on the box and
>>> see if that helps.
>>
>>
>>
>> Don't. You say in an earlier post that it is at 192.0.0.192. That's
>> an HP default, which is not going to be in the same subnet as your Dell.
>>
>> Unfortunately, you give no information on what you have. Is the Dell
>> a new addition?
>
>
> The Dell is a new addition.
>
> Do you have other non-Mac computers on the network?
>
> No.
>
> Do
>
>> the printers work with them?
>
>
> N/A
>
>>
>> Here is a post which describes installing a network printer on Windows
>> XP, step-by-step:
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printe...
>>
>>
>> Use ipconfig to find out the IP address and netmask of the Dell. It is
>> likely 192.168.1.x, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. Choose an address
>> for the printer (we'll say 192.168.1.y) in the same subnet, as described
>> in the article.
>>
>> If you can get JetAdmin to see the external JetDirect, you can set its
>> new IP address and the same netmask as used on the Dell there.
>> Otherwise, you can telnet to the JetAdmin and set the values from the
>> menu system there.
>>
> Thanks, Warren.
> I'll check it out.
>
Warren,

Should I also disable DHCP on the JD box?


Thanks,

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Finally got XP to recognize my plotter using the external jet direct
box. What I did was to use the "Route Add" command at the DOS prompt to
give a route from the default 192.0.0.192 to the PC. i.e. Root Add
192.0.0.192 169.254.115.240.

Then I was able to use the HP Network Printer Install wizard to find it
and set it up. Seems to work fine.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
March 2, 2005 9:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rob,

Obviously it works but not sure that you have the best solution and may
cause you some future headaches. In essence, it appears that you've
directed the print server to set up a VPN (virtual private network) to
address the print server to your Dell network. As Warren explained, it
would be better (more conventional, less problematic) to give the print
server an IP address and subnet mask that matches the Dell.

Well at least you got it cobbled together and working..... not bad for a
PE..........;-)

Bob S.

"Rob Munach" <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:xHmVd.93955$Th1.74199@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Finally got XP to recognize my plotter using the external jet direct
> box. What I did was to use the "Route Add" command at the DOS prompt to
> give a route from the default 192.0.0.192 to the PC. i.e. Root Add
> 192.0.0.192 169.254.115.240.
>
> Then I was able to use the HP Network Printer Install wizard to find it
> and set it up. Seems to work fine.
>
> --
> Rob Munach, PE
> Excel Engineering
> PO Box 1264
> Carrboro, NC 27510
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

BobS wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Obviously it works but not sure that you have the best solution and may
> cause you some future headaches. In essence, it appears that you've
> directed the print server to set up a VPN (virtual private network) to
> address the print server to your Dell network. As Warren explained, it
> would be better (more conventional, less problematic) to give the print
> server an IP address and subnet mask that matches the Dell.

Bob,
I telneted to the HP and changed the IP and subnet address as warren
suggested. When I restarted the JD box, it was back to its old
addresses. Maybe there is a save command that I didn't use. Anyhow, I'll
see how this thing goes for a while. Fortunately, 95% of my plotting
comes from my Mac - not the PeeCee. I still don't understand why I don't
have to go thru all this work to get my Mac to recognize this printer. I
guess that is why I use Macs!

>
> Well at least you got it cobbled together and working..... not bad for a
> PE..........;-)


HeHe. Thanks for all of your advice.
>
> Bob S.






>
> "Rob Munach" <xlengr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:xHmVd.93955$Th1.74199@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>Finally got XP to recognize my plotter using the external jet direct
>>box. What I did was to use the "Route Add" command at the DOS prompt to
>>give a route from the default 192.0.0.192 to the PC. i.e. Root Add
>>192.0.0.192 169.254.115.240.
>>
>>Then I was able to use the HP Network Printer Install wizard to find it
>>and set it up. Seems to work fine.
>>
>>--
>>Rob Munach, PE
>>Excel Engineering
>>PO Box 1264
>>Carrboro, NC 27510
>
>
>


--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
PO Box 1264
Carrboro, NC 27510
!