Evga 7900GT KO Crashing

GFKiraR

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
well ive had my 7900GT for 2 weeks now, so then i began to overclock it in 2 mhz increments, well once i oced 15mhz on both the memory and core ran the test this setup option it made the screen begin to flicker from black screen to desktop for 20 seconds then completely froze at black scrren, so i rebooted it and tried to start to manually clock it back down and it began the same thing, so after i rebooted again i choose no overclocking and it stayed stable. so then i gave up for a few days and then tried to oc again, i got the memory up 25mhz in 2mhz increments over 2 1/2 days, then once i tried to hit 767mhz it did the same thing but it didnt freeze up t just flickered for 20 seconds then a blue windows screen appeared saying it was reseting all the setting to what they were before it was booted and so i just gave up on ocing. so my question is it already been clocked to high by evga or is it a bad peice from Evga? or maybe the vcore is to low to clock higer?

this is the system its on
Athalon 64 X@ 3800
A8N-E mobo
1.5 gig ram
Uata HD
79GT KO on Optimized NGO 84.56 driver
450watt psu

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Maybe it's a bad card. I have my 7900GT KO running at 571MHz/1722MHz and it's running nice, stable and cool. I just hope the second one I have coming (through the Step-Up program) runs this fast. It's a wonderful card, any 7900GT KO should be able to over clock to higher speeds then a 7900GT CO Superclock can over clock up to because of the cooling system. I think you just got a bad card. Here is my advice, call EVGA, talk to them, see if you can return it for the just released 7900GT KO Superclock (the new Superclock with the KO cooling system), kind of an RMA and Step-Up all at once, they are a really good company, they may just do that for you.

GFKiraR

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
heh well i decided to pull off my cards heatsink and replace that crap they call thermal paste with AS5 and made sure the heatsink was on there tight enough for a good seal, also i called there tech support and they said just try to oc it slowly and if it keeps crashing then return it to stock speeds and RMA, so here i go again for round 3. oh yeah do yuo know if there is something i can use to check the mem and core to make sure its not bad?

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
heh well i decided to pull off my cards heatsink and replace that crap they call thermal paste with AS5 and made sure the heatsink was on there tight enough for a good seal, also i called there tech support and they said just try to oc it slowly and if it keeps crashing then return it to stock speeds and RMA, so here i go again for round 3. oh yeah do you know if there is something i can use to check the mem and core to make sure its not bad?

First thing, do you have a sku number 584 or 583 ko? If not rma it for one of those, they have cross shipping so you won't be without a card. There are some issues with the older 7900gt's that are not good and are what you are describing.

As you can see I love the new card, I won't be using any other company then evga, they have the best support/quality Ive seen. These new "reloaded" cards just came out and Ive heard zero complaints thus far, so they are living up to the promise that these cards are good to go and have been fixed from the issues.

Good luck!

Dissolved

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I have my 7900GT KO, one of the original models running at 580core and 1600ram, I get the same problem of the screen flickering and eventually crashing. I would never let it find optimal because it goes over 800MHz for the ram and it will just crash because it is too high. Also make sure your power supply is good too.

What I did with the flickering screen is I just OCed the card before it could flicker badly/crash. Then I rebooted saving settings and they have been fine since. I think the problem lies in the bad voltage regulators which is the problem with the cards. When you overclock to draw more power the regulators might cause a crash but on a fresh boot with the settings already active it should work fine. I have been running mine for about a month at 580/800 with no problems.