tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
hey guys i was just debating between getting a 360, or upgrading my pc... here are my current specs

amd athlon xp 1800+
256mb RAM
geforce 2 mx video card (yea yea...laugh)

heres what im planning to upgrade

processor- athlon xp 2800+
ram- 512 mb pc3200 ram
graphics card- geforce 6600 gt or non-gt

so which option would you go for?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Considering how a good old XP 2800+ is almost as expensive as a 3200+ A64 (on newegg) and that price drops on Socket 939 CPUs & mobos are expected after the release of AM2, it would be wise to spend a little more money and do a major upgrade instead.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Buying a socket A CPU and AGP graphics is really setting yourself up for being way out of pocket a few months down the line.

Xbox 360 will make a great platform to game on (guaranteed good running, too) for a good while.

hacky_maximus

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I would say it's better to upgrade your PC, than buying and Xbox. You know what i mean- you can't compare a PC with an Xbox, only if you use that PC for gaming and nothing else (ok, let's say watchig movies and listening to music). In your case, 512 RAM is too little, but that oldie Athlon is pretty good (used to have one) and so the graphic card, but as SidVicious said, there's no a good ideea to invest in SK A . You do what you want, but a PC is always better than a Xbox (that's my opinion)

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
it depends on what games you want to play
if you like those exclusive titles released just for 360, then buy a....360.. if you like titles that are release for 360 and pc, i would go for both a budget upgrade and a 360.

If it all comes down to spending the minimal amount of money then get the Xbox 360. You'll be able to play any Xbox 360 game now, and 3 years from now. The same can't be said of the PC. A high end rig now will play any game, three years from now it may barely qualify as a low end mainstream PC because PC tech always advances.

So basically spending $400 (or whatever the price is) for an Xbox will guarantee that any game you buy will be playable between now and the release of the next Xbox version.

Your proposed system may only last you a year and you won't have great graphics with a 6600GT. If you want to build a PC for games then you'll need to at least $1,000 for a new rig which includes a S939 Athlon 64, and a PCI-e video card, but no monitor (that's extra). That's no joke especially if you want to play Oblivion. As for the minimum video card requirements for Oblivion, burn that list. The minimum GPU should really be the Geforce 6800.

I prefer playing games on a PC, but if $1,000+ is a bit steep then get the Xbox.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
hey guys i was just debating between getting a 360, or upgrading my pc... here are my current specs

amd athlon xp 1800+
256mb RAM

ram- 512 mb pc3200 ram

YO TIPPO check out my SPECS i got the exact same thing as you have.
Just overclock and add 2-3 more fans and you can get 2200+ levels
i got 1.8GHZ thats about 2200+

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
id say buy the xb360, if u want to get a pc, u should hav around 1k to get a pcie comp that will last around 3-4 years then upgrade again, but if u jus dont hav the money for it get an xb360, even consider a ps3, jus look at the list of games and not the hardware, if gaming is ur priority

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Decisions, decisions ...
Argument Number 1:
Seems that the best games are released for both a console and PC ... BUT, often, for only one brand of console.
Say you do buy an Xbox now, with accessories, for about $300. And this December, a really cool game comes out ... but it's only on the Playstation 3 (and also PC).
Will you then go out and buy a $600 Playstation so you can play that game? Considering the amount of money spent to buy two consoles, would you be wishing you had built a new computer instead?
I have friends who never had a PC, but simultaneously had a Playstation 2, Xbox and Nintendo. That seems like a big waste of money to me.
Argument Number 2:
There are some games never released for PC that are great fun on a console. And other games allow you have friends over and plug in extra controllers, which you can't do with PC.
So you have to decide what kinds of games you want to play, and is PC or console better for that?
Argument Number 3:
You can rent console games are your local video store, but you can't rent PC games. As a PC gamer, this doesn't bother me because I typically play one high-quality game with depth for several months at a time (Oblivion is my current obsession). But if you just want a quick game of shoot'em up, you might as well save money and go with the Xbox.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
lookie what i found:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1961069&CatId=1915

that looks like a decent barebone kit, huh?
and even without the rebate, its 460$ ish CAD... and comes with a bunch of rebates. add a 100-200 dollar graphics card to it, and its a pretty good gaming rig (good enough anyways...).
the xbox 360 costs about 500 CAD right now... so now which is th better deal?

oh and bty,
YO TIPPO check out my SPECS i got the exact same thing as you have.
i got 1.8GHZ thats about 2200+
i got 1.8GHZ off stock cooling! ha!

netspiderz-net

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Those are my consideration about PC or X-BOX.

:arrow: PC: More expensive and require upgrades almost every years. Games are less expensive. If you like shooters and you like to play it with mouse and keyboard to have max control. Also you can use the PC for everything else you want. If you have passion for overclocking and build your own system this is the right choice (but you need to accept the idea that PCs give you lot of craps compared to a console)

:arrow: X-BOX360: Less expensive, but more expensive games. Onlu joystics. Good choice if you want to play and play. You can customize the X-BOX with mods, but is not the same as the PC. I think when you start to buy games and games... at the end the price will be more than have a powerfull PC. This is the good choice if you want a system that is ready for games (no much hardware and software knowlegde required).

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005

amd athlon xp 1800+
256mb RAM

ram- 512 mb pc3200 ramgraphics card- geforce 6600 gt or non-gt

no that's rubbish. if i couldn't upgrade any better than that i wouldn't get either. xbox 360 you're limited to buying expensive games, accessories, and HDTVs for.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I say Again !! check out my SPECS TIPOOz i got the exact same thing as you have.
i got 1.8GHZ thats about 2200+ it'll run hott but thats why you get about 40$ worth of fans a new Heatsink and better fa and 2to4- 5-10$ fans for the case.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I say Again !! check out my SPECS TIPOOz i got the exact same thing as you have.
i got 1.8GHZ thats about 2200+ it'll run hott but thats why you get about 40$ worth of fans a new Heatsink and better fa and 2to4- 5-10$ fans for the case.

and again, i say i got 1.8ghz off stock cooling!

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
thie thing about socket A is the retention mechanism for attaching heatsinks is limited to the useless standard one which isn't very good, unless you cut holes in the mobo and mod it to 939 heatsink retention clip or something... also there aren't really any good available heatsinks available for socket a. so just spend as little money as possible on what you have at the moment, just get a couple of decent fans

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Lols. did you just EDIT and put that in? did'nt see it. Lols nice :D U overclocked ya Geforce and your RAM timing and Latencys? because i did some messing around in the BIOS and i'm getting benchmarks of a Semptron 3000+ Nice :D and Harddrive is going to die. but oh well get a Cheap 200GB 8mb one. And on 1.8Ghz it goes a Semptron in Benchmarks(almost) and beats the shytt out of most all NON-HT pentium 4! and only cost me getting a few case fans and messing around with the aluminum heatsink

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006

amd athlon xp 1800+
256mb RAM

ram- 512 mb pc3200 ram

You need at least 1GB ram and a better gfx card like 7600gt. If you can't afford that, you better buy a xbox instead. Perhaps you could buy a used computer, if you're not planing on buying the latest and greatest.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
If those are your choices DEFINATELY go for the 360...your current PC can hold you over in everything except gaming for a while longer until you want to get VISTA...then you can get a nextgen processor and all that jazz for the same prices.

You wont be happy gaming with that rig...at least not as much as a 360.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Who Me? I'm not getting an upgrade yet. I'm going to be Given the CNR-E6700 When it Comes out. ANd i;m gongi to buy a Opteron 175@ O/c it to 2.8Ghz and run those 2. Screw Microsoft XBOX360. Long live the SONY!

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

amd athlon xp 1800+
256mb RAM

ram- 512 mb pc3200 ram

If all you want is a toy get the game machine.

If you want something that will play everything that toy will (and alot more) and pay about 1/2 the price for the same software....build a computer.

As far as grf detail vrs computer....game boxs are a joke.