Canon Imageclass 390

Hi. We bought this printer just over a week ago and have printed out
exactly 28 sheets in black and white (no colour yet). We are already
getting a "black ink low" signal and don't know what to do about it.
Can the ink really be low already? The pages we printed were not
particularly ink intensive ( just some regualar reports and some
timetables). Has anyone else had this experience with their Canon's?
Thanks

Probably only had a "starter" cartridge with very little ink