Question regarding removal of unwanted programs

a b α HP
November 6, 2004 11:08:19 AM

I recently purchased a new HP h4355 and think it's great. It came
with some installed programs that I have no interest in and are taking
up valuable space. However, I can not find any "removal" for these
programs. For example: AvantGo, MSN messenger, Pocket Excel and
Pocket MSN. Will I have to install a registry program in order to
cleanly remove these space fillers?
Programs I am using (Pocket Winc - Pocket Streets - WiFiFoFum) and
others have higher priority.
Any help muchly appreciated..
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 6, 2004 11:08:20 AM

Hello,

The programs that you speak of are actually in the ROM of your device.
There is no way to remove them but the good news is they are not taking up
any users accessable storage space.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

"V2+10" <Flying@takeoff.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new HP h4355 and think it's great. It came
> with some installed programs that I have no interest in and are taking
> up valuable space. However, I can not find any "removal" for these
> programs. For example: AvantGo, MSN messenger, Pocket Excel and
> Pocket MSN. Will I have to install a registry program in order to
> cleanly remove these space fillers?
> Programs I am using (Pocket Winc - Pocket Streets - WiFiFoFum) and
> others have higher priority.
> Any help muchly appreciated..
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 6, 2004 12:30:57 PM

Many thanks Clinton.. I suppose the only alternative would be to
obtain a clean version of the operating system that would bypass
dealer intervention ... or is it proprietary software?
>Hello,
>
>The programs that you speak of are actually in the ROM of your device.
>There is no way to remove them but the good news is they are not taking up
>any users accessable storage space.
>
>Regards,
a b α HP
November 6, 2004 12:30:58 PM

Unfortunately you can't get that, short of being a hardware developer, and
having specialized capabilities to generate the appropriate hardware layer
stuff to run your particular PPC. One thing you can do is go into
\windows\stat menu and \windows\stat menu\programs and delete the shortcuts
to the programs you don't want to use. Those would be how they show up in
the start menu and in the programs page you get to from the start menu. It
will at least remove some clutter. You can even put those back when you
change your mind about on or another some day.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> Many thanks Clinton.. I suppose the only alternative would be to
> obtain a clean version of the operating system that would bypass
> dealer intervention ... or is it proprietary software?
> >Hello,
> >
> >The programs that you speak of are actually in the ROM of your device.
> >There is no way to remove them but the good news is they are not taking
up
> >any users accessable storage space.
> >
> >Regards,

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 6, 2004 12:30:58 PM

Hello,

Sven's post is correct. It isn't a matter of just going out and getting the
raw software. It is something you have to be a developer to get and to
compile to a working order. Besides, it is insanely expensive!

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews!

"V2+10" <Flying@takeoff.com> wrote in message
> Many thanks Clinton.. I suppose the only alternative would be to
> obtain a clean version of the operating system that would bypass
> dealer intervention ... or is it proprietary software?
>>Hello,
>>
>>The programs that you speak of are actually in the ROM of your device.
>>There is no way to remove them but the good news is they are not taking up
>>any users accessable storage space.
>>
>>Regards,

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 6, 2004 9:17:14 PM

V2+10 <Flying@takeoff.com> wrote:

>Many thanks Clinton.. I suppose the only alternative would be to
>obtain a clean version of the operating system that would bypass
>dealer intervention ... or is it proprietary software?

PDAs use an embedded OS so the OEM has to build it using components of
Pocket PC and the drivers and additional software they want to put in.
It isn't like XP where you can reinstall and then update drivers and
software on your own.
a b α HP
November 9, 2004 3:23:44 PM

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Unfortunately you can't get that, short of being a hardware developer,
> and having specialized capabilities to generate the appropriate
> hardware layer stuff to run your particular PPC.

couldn't you, in *theory* at least, take an existing ipaq ROM, find the
locations of the stuff you don't want. remove it from the ROM. (potentially
replace it with stuff you *do* want). fix the part of the ROM that says
what's in it and where it is, then reflash your ROM? might get some
additional file store memory... :-)

of course it'd probably against the terms of the ROM owner to hack about
with it like that...
but i'm sure it's *possible*, if not viable :-)

(the guys at http://handhelds.org/ have been making ipaq ROMs for awhile
now btw)
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 10, 2004 6:27:07 PM

no <no@no.no> wrote:

>couldn't you, in *theory* at least, take an existing ipaq ROM, find the
>locations of the stuff you don't want. remove it from the ROM. (potentially
>replace it with stuff you *do* want). fix the part of the ROM that says
>what's in it and where it is, then reflash your ROM? might get some
>additional file store memory... :-)
>
>of course it'd probably against the terms of the ROM owner to hack about
>with it like that...
>but i'm sure it's *possible*, if not viable :-)

Well, anything is possible. I would think it easier to take the
Windows XP kernel files on your HD and remove the stuff you don't like
so the OS loads faster. What you are talking about is no small task.
It isn't just ROM based files.
a b α HP
November 11, 2004 8:12:51 PM

If you simply don't want to "see" these programs, the icons can easily
be removed... use pfileexplorer to go to \windows\start_menu and delete
away... with caution ;-)

A safer approach would be to copy the offending icons to a "bak"
directory elsewhere in ram or on a memory card.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!