Which adaptor?

Last response: in Networking
December 20, 2004 11:56:53 AM

I am about to try VOIP for the first time, and I've been reading about
the various adaptors etc. I have a single motorola cordless 5.8 GHz
phone, and I'll probably be adding a fax machine. The net connection is
a cable modem currently attached to a D-link DI-624 wireless router.

I don't want locked down hardware so I'm thinking about a Sipura. Which
would you recommend? A SPA-2000, 3000, 1001 or something different? Any
suggestions about where to get it? Also, does Vonage complain if you
bring your own (unlocked) hardware? Thanks for any advice.

Wiggling

More about : adaptor

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:01:00 PM

Thank you. That is very useful. So at least for Vonage, it appears that
I need to get one of their adaptors to start. That's a shame since
there have been lots of complaints about their Linksys adaptors.
Wiggling
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 7:48:47 PM

In article ID <1103561813.945105.267340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"wiggling" <wigglingstring@gmail.com> writes:

>I don't want locked down hardware so I'm thinking about a Sipura. Which
>would you recommend? A SPA-2000, 3000, 1001 or something different?

I use both the Sipura 1000 and the Vonage Linksys PAP2 (Sipura 2000)

Sipura SPA-1000 1 Port Analog Adapter (FXS)
Sipura SPA-1001 Single FXS RJ11 Analog Adapter SIP VoIP Gateway
Sipura SPA-2000 Dual FXS Analog Adapter SIP VoIP Gateway
Sipura SPA-2100 Dual RJ11 FXS, Dual RJ45 SIP VoIP Gateway w. T.38
Sipura SPA-3000 Single FXS, Single FXO VoIP Gateway SIP Analog Adapter

http://voxilla.com/forum-viewtopic-t-1677.html

Post subject: RE: VoIP Solution to lower my bills? Posted: Dec 20, 2004 -
06:57 AM mberlant

1) The -3000 and -1001 are different prices because they have different
features and functions. The -3000 has both an FXS channel (for connecting a
telephone set to a VoIP service provider, etc.) and an FXO channel (for
connecting your POTS service to a VoIP service provider.

The -1001 has two FXS channels under the hood, with only one telephone
connection that chooses between the two services. You can more reasonably
compare the -1001 to the -1000 (discontinued), which has one FXS channel, and
the -2000, which has two independent FXS channels connecting to two separate
telephone sets.

>Any suggestions about where to get it?

http://store.voxilla.com/customer/home.php?cat=248

Bonus:

Sipura SPA-1001s purchased from Voxilla include the following:

One free month, with all activation fees waived, of any Broadvoice's unlimited
plan, including "Unlimited World Plus"

Up to 100 free calling minutes through iConnectHere;

http://www.voipsupply.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=14

>Also, does Vonage complain if you bring your own (unlocked) hardware?

If you want to BYOD, and you want your own incoming phone number, your choices
are limited. Broadvoice.com and voicepulse.com are two that allow this. There
are quite a few outgoing only prepaid services out there. I'm using
mutualphone.com and sipphone.com, the former works great, the latter has to
much delay for my liking.

As for Vonage, you must FIRST use their box for your primary line. For another
$9.99, you can get their soft phone service and they provide the settings so
you can use any hardware you want for the second line. This is not to be
confused with a second line that will work with their own hardware as a
separate fax line for $9.99 extra. (The Vonage branded Linksys PAP2 is really
a Sipura 2000, supporting two lines.)

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone

Get Your Laptop Its Own Phone Number for Just $9.99/month and Get 500 Local
and Long Distance Minutes Included

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9080685~reverse=...;mode=full;days=10;root=voip

Vonage SoftPhone/Sipura SPA-2000 configuration

Vonage SoftPhone also works great with the Sipura SPA-2000. Configuration
information must be entered through the advanced admin pages:

Proxy and Registration
Proxy: sphone.vopr.vonage.net
Outbound Proxy: 216.115.25.199:5061
Register: Yes
Use Outbound Proxy: Yes

Subscriber Information
Display Name: Your Name
Password: Your Vonage SoftPhone password
Auth ID: Your Vonage SoftPhone number
User ID: Your Vonage SoftPhone number
Use Auth ID: Yes

Dial Plan
Dial Plan: (*xx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)
December 20, 2004 8:05:20 PM

In article ID <1103580060.414787.205890@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"wiggling" <wigglingstring@gmail.com> writes:

>Thank you. That is very useful. So at least for Vonage, it appears that
>I need to get one of their adaptors to start. That's a shame since
>there have been lots of complaints about their Linksys adaptors.

The linksys PAP2 is pretty much a Sipura 2000.

http://voxilla.com/voxstory84-nested-order0-threshold0....

Linksys Uses Sipura Technology in New Adaptors

VOXILLA.COM News Report

Networking equipment manufacturer Linksys, based in Irvine, CA and a wholly
owned subsidiary of San Jose, CA-based technology giant Cisco Systems, is
wading into Voice over IP waters for the first time with two new products: a
stand-alone two-port telephone adaptor and a router/firewall/VoIP adaptor.

Curiously, though Cisco manufactures the ATA-186, the first VoIP telephone
adaptor on the market and still in wide use today, Linksys chose to base its
VoIP adaptors on technology developed by Sipura Technology, one of Cisco’s
fiercest rivals in the rapidly growing VoIP Customer Premise Equipment market.

A member of the team behind the two new products – the standalone PAP2 and the
RT31P2 router – confirms that Linksys “partnered with Sipura” to develop the
products.

The ATA-186 was originally developed by Komodo Technology, which was purchased
by Cisco in 2000. Much of the same team behind Sipura were formerly with
Komodo and left Cisco to form Sipura in May of last year.

When asked about the Linksys-Sipura relationship, Sherman Scholten, Vice
President of Marketing for Sipura Technology, refused to comment.

The voice configuration menu for an early-release PAP2 includes exactly the
same prompts delivered by the same voice as the menus for all three Sipura
adaptors on the market. The only difference betwen the configuration menus for
each company's adaptors is that any reference to Sipura has been removed from
the Linksys device.

Each of the products is on sale now at Staples. Ironically, though VoIP
service provider Vonage dumped the Cisco ATA-186 for a Motorola VT-1005 VoIP
adaptor/router, Staples offer comes bundled with Vonage service.

The PAP2 ($69.98) is functionally identical to the Sipura SPA-2000, though it
is housed in a new, larger, form factor. The RT31P2 ($99.98) uses SPA-2000
technology for its two VoIP ports, and looks very similar to other standard
Linksys routers.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:04:18 AM

In article ID <1103561813.945105.267340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"wiggling" <wigglingstring@gmail.com> writes:

>I don't want locked down hardware so I'm thinking about a Sipura. Which
>would you recommend? A SPA-2000, 3000, 1001 or something different?

Some more info for you:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12170664~t...

The Sipura (2000 or 3000) should work with these BYOD providers per Voxilla,
BroadVoice
DialPad
Free World Dialup
Go2Call
Gossiptel
iConnectHere
inPhonex
Musimi
Net2Phone
Nikotel
Sipgate.de
Sipgate.co.uk
SIPphone
Stanaphone
Telefin
Terracall
TrueVoIP
VoiceEclipse
VoicePulse (Connect or Open Access)
VoIPTalk (TelAppliant)
Vonage Softphone Account
December 21, 2004 4:54:31 AM

I like and use Grandstream Handy-Tone 286 small 120/220v and is unlocked. Now I
added the 486. I can travel and move them.

Carlos
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:58:59 AM

Thank you all for your detailed replies.

Wiggling
!