Anime_Freak

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
This is the only place that I could think to put this question. I am trying to access my bios on my PC(video card installtion), but it ask me for a password. I don't know what the password is or was. Any help will be great.
HP Pavilion 533w

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Assuming you have no luck with HP, consider removing the CMOS battery and that should reset it to a blank password... inside your computer on the motherboard is a small battery... similar to what you'd find in a watch... that password is what maintains your BIOS settings as well as the password that's protecting your BIOS.

I'd sugguest Googling for more detailed directions on how to do this if you don't feel comfortable with the procedure.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Have you tried just leaving it blank and pressing enter? This is similar to when you are trying to configure a router and the default password is almost always left blank until you enter one.

If that doesn't work just clear CMOS by removing the battery and moving the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3. Easy to do if you check in your MB manual.

If that doesn't work just clear CMOS by removing the battery and moving the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3. Easy to do if you check in your MB manual.

Actually i believe it should be one or the other.... remove the battery and wait a couple minutes... or move the jumper on the board to clear it (provided there is one and the OP can find it).