Setting up simple VoIP gateway

Last response: in Networking
Share
December 20, 2004 12:05:36 PM

Hello All,
I have a wireless LAN that connects five villages in Nepal (see
http://NepalWireless.net for more info). Only one village has a phone
line, so I would like to construct or buy a simple VoIP gateway that
will let computer users in all villages use the one landline we have.
How hard and expensive is this? And what hardware/software should I be
looking at? Note that we want to make calls within Nepal, and we are
not interested in purchasing VoIP service with an existing provider.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Best
Robin Shields
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:08:10 AM

"Robin" <Robin@HimalayanHandicraft.org> writes:

>I have a wireless LAN that connects five villages in Nepal (see
>http://NepalWireless.net for more info). Only one village has a phone
>line, so I would like to construct or buy a simple VoIP gateway that
>will let computer users in all villages use the one landline we have.
>How hard and expensive is this?

I've used an Sipura SPA-3000 for such a task. Now that the method for
getting calls forwarded without answering has been discovered, it's
quite a useful device. It would be a simple and cheap solution.

--kyler
December 21, 2004 3:18:38 PM

Kyler,
Thanks for the info. Can you give more details on the specifics of
your setup? How do users on your LAN access the sipura unit and make
land line phone calls? Is their any reason to pick the SPA 3000 over
the other SPA models? Any more detailed info would be great.
Best
Robin
Related resources
December 21, 2004 3:21:30 PM

Kyler Laird wrote:
> "Robin" <Robin@HimalayanHandicraft.org> writes:
>
> >I have a wireless LAN that connects five villages in Nepal (see
> >http://NepalWireless.net for more info). Only one village has a
phone
> >line, so I would like to construct or buy a simple VoIP gateway that
> >will let computer users in all villages use the one landline we
have.
> >How hard and expensive is this?
>
> I've used an Sipura SPA-3000 for such a task. Now that the method
for
> getting calls forwarded without answering has been discovered, it's
> quite a useful device. It would be a simple and cheap solution.
>
> --kyler
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:08:14 PM

"Robin" <Robin@HimalayanHandicraft.org> writes:

>Can you give more details on the specifics of
>your setup?

Well, it's a mess right now. I have a bunch of SPA-2000s, a TDM-400,
a (junked) IAXy, an SPA-3000, and a Polycom Soundpoint IP 500. I have
Asterisk running at home (not used right now) and at a colocated
server.

>How do users on your LAN access the sipura unit and make
>land line phone calls?

I have our existing phones plugged into it (on a common line). I'm
planning to get more complicated later but our existing phones have
intercom and paging functionality so I'm reluctant to give them up
before I get the same functionality on Asterisk.

>Is their any reason to pick the SPA 3000 over
>the other SPA models?

The SPA-3000 provides a telco line interface (FXO). It's only better
if you need that. Note that Sipura has a couple new models. I have
not tried them but I'm trying to order some now (through work).

>Any more detailed info would be great.

I'll be happy to go deeper into topics of interest.

--kyler
December 23, 2004 8:36:32 PM

Hi Kyler,
Is the SPA sufficent on its own for LAN to land line phone calls, or
is it necessary to have the additional hardware your mentioned (i.e.
the TDM400) and a server such as asterisk. I'm hoping that LAN users
can use something like an H323 client to access the outside line, but
I'm still not sure how this works. Maybe it will become clearer if I
just get the SPA 3000? Thanks again.

Best
Robin
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:08:12 AM

"Robin" <Robin@HimalayanHandicraft.org> writes:

>Is the SPA sufficent on its own for LAN to land line phone calls, or
>is it necessary to have the additional hardware your mentioned (i.e.
>the TDM400) and a server such as asterisk.

The Sipura devices are certainly capable on their own. That's why I'm
not even using my home Asterisk right now. I was experimenting with
the SPA-2000s connecting to my colocated server (through NAT) and they
worked so well that I gave up on my home machine.

>I'm hoping that LAN users
>can use something like an H323 client to access the outside line, but
>I'm still not sure how this works. Maybe it will become clearer if I
>just get the SPA 3000?

I recall having dialed out on an SPA-3000 directly from an SPA-2000. I
think it was clumsy but it can probably be made simple.

Yes, get the SPA-3000. Play with it. It'll be good for you.

--kyler
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 12:22:44 PM

Dear Robin:

The easiest solution would be to use IP Phones. Most IP phones can also
act as a VOIP Gateway to PSTN. So the IP Phones would provide both
intercom and extend the PSTN line over LAN.

You must be knowing that with the genereous help of Mr. Temo Montaya,
we got three IP phones for the same project. I had handed over the
phones to Mahavir around a month back and he says the telephone lines
are already extended from Pokhara to the villages.

But I still doubt the legal issues in Nepal regarding VOIP. I hope with
the new cyber law, things get straightened out.
Regards,

Summit Raj Tuladhar
!