Nervous first time buyer and builder. Does this look ok?

rob_uk

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Hello all! :)

This is gong to be my first build. I am used to taking pc apart and swapping parts out, but this will be the very first complete build.

I am kind of nervous about it all and would really like your help.

USE: gaming (doom 3, quake 4, F.E.A.R., HL 2), music (listening), and general pc stuff.

After about 2-3 months of planning I have got this so far....

PS( I do not intend on OC'ing very much, maybe a little but not crazy)

CPU===AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
MOBO==Asus A8N-E NF4 Ultra or maybe Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI
RAM===1GB (2X512MB) Corsair Value Select, DDR PC3200 (400)
GPU===Asus 7900GT (or maybe any other 7900GT not pre-oc'd)
NOTE (I do not intend on using SLI)
PSU===460W Akasa PSU with Black 12cm Fan ( 24Pin connector )
TFT===Vewsonic VX724 (3ms) 17" TFT
CASE== Coolermaster Centurion RC-532

How does all this look to you guys (and maybe gals?)?

I really appriciate the time you guys take to read this. Its going to make me feel a lot better!

8O

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I'm not checking out all you're parts in detail, but it looks fine to me.

Perhaps you should get 2GB ram or one ram stick with 1GB for a later upgrade.

I don't know if your tft is an expensive kind, but I would rather have a cheep 19" than a 17"

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

I don't know if your tft is an expensive kind, but I would rather have a cheep 19" than a 17"

Do NOT listen to that, never would you want to get a cheap 19" over a good 17", if you want to experience your graphics card you'll want one with a decent refresh rate <16ms atleast and something that can run at a good resolution, why get a 19" that can only run at low res's when you can get a 17" that can go higher..just like buying a PSU, you dont want a no name higher watt PSU that is overrated vs. a good quality one

rahulhbk

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Looks good to me too. DFI board better?? that's what i'm using. I don't know about the case but try the Antec Sonata 2

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say change two things; the power supply and perhaps the screen (depending on how happy you are with your current choice). The screen is the one piece of the system you will experience the most both during gaming and normal use, so be sure you can put up with looking at it for hours on end.

Also, if you plan to add additional RAM later on, then go with a 1 gig stick. Otherwise, go with two 512's so you can take advantage of dual channel. If you have the money, higher end RAM is worth a look, but ultimately not a huge issue if you're not overclocking or just dont feel like shelling out the extra cash.

Looks like a solid machine, you will be happy with that processor and an Asus board. My Asus/AMD setup has been nothing short of perfect since the day I bought it.

Goodluck

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Since ur not gonna SLI:

1)drop the sli mobo... tahts bout 50$ saved up...

2) Get a "brand name" PSU... doesnt have to even go over 450 W, cause ur not even planning to OC or SLI... that would save about 50$

3) Drop the 2x512 MB, get one stick of 1GB or even try for 2 x 1 GB

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Since ur not gonna SLI:

1)drop the sli mobo... tahts bout 50$ saved up...

2) Get a "brand name" PSU... doesnt have to even go over 450 W, cause ur not even planning to OC or SLI... that would save about 50$

3) Drop the 2x512 MB, get one stick of 1GB or even try for 2 x 1 GB

I'd agree with everyone about the PSU. Antec, or other brand name, although

i would try for no less than 480w. You don't have a massive power drawing

system, but it's better to overdo it on PSU, than (after any add-ons, or uprades) wishing for more. 2GB sounds like a good idea also, with

dual-core, and games getting memory hungry.

rob_uk

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
cooool thanks for the advice so far guys. good of you to take the time out.

I dont think that the PSU is available in the USA, so that may be a reason for not hearing about it. But I will have a look a similar priced ones from bigger companies.

As far as the RAM, thanks for the info, 1 gig stick it is. Cheap for now, to keep the price low, and maybe later in the year get more expensive stuff.

TFT, I have seen the VX724 in action, and really like it, so i may stay with it. But thanks for the suggestons logainofhades on the Rosewill. (not available in the UK anyway :( )

And finally the case, thats the hardest part. Thanks for the suggestions about the Antec. Will have a good look at it tonight.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Makes me feel nice to know peple out there like to help out for nothing physical in return.

Thanks again

rob

Do NOT listen to that, never would you want to get a cheap 19" over a good 17", if you want to experience your graphics card you'll want one with a decent refresh rate <16ms atleast and something that can run at a good resolution, why get a 19" that can only run at low res's when you can get a 17" that can go higher..just like buying a PSU, you dont want a no name higher watt PSU that is overrated vs. a good quality one

So true, so very true. If you want to play a game like Doom 3 on an LCD, it had better be a good one. Cheap LCD lack detail in the dark areas of games. Doom3 takes place in a world without light (and it sucked).

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Peronally I'd drop the TFT and go for a decent 21" CRT for the same money, that will be much better for gaming.

This one can do 2048x1536@80Hz, and a much higher refresh at 1600x1200 if you prefer. It can be had for about $450, not sure how that compares with your TFT

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I dont think that the PSU is available in the USA, so that may be a reason for not hearing about it. But I will have a look a similar priced ones from bigger companies.
I've heard of the Akasa PSU, just isn't that popular, they're better known

for their HS/F.

lose the SLI capable board since you aren't going to be using it... and the PSU doesn't need to be quite that high either... When buying ram, either go 2 x 512, or 2 x 1gb... there is no in between. losing dual channel mode is really going to hurt performance, regardless of if you're playing a game, or just running around in windows... you'll notice it quite a bit slower in single channel.

Other than that... everything else looks good... hope the build goes well.

maxtoons

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Looks Good
But I have to agree with the guys, you need 2GB RAM.
Also, the 4200 X2 "$357", looks like a better value than the 3800 X2 "$297" on NewEgg.com

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Definitely consider the 4200 over the 3800. Better still, wait a couple of months until AMD and Intel get their new offerings on the shelves.

Don't skimp on the power supply - the one you have listed is fine - any lower would not be sensible.

2gb of RAM is an absolute must. Any less and if you actually get to use both of your CPU cores at once, they'll be struggling.

If you plan on getting Windows Vista at any point in the future, make sure your graphics card is 512mb RAM (ignore the recently released Vista specs).

You didn't post anything about soundcards, HDDs etc. Do you already have these?

If you can stretch the budget, review your choice of TFT. You've got a nice system and it is being crammed into a tiny 17" screen. Double the price, and you can get a great 20" widescreen TFT.

rob_uk

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
hello all,

thanks for the feedback. really appreciate it.

I have decided to go for the 3800. The differences that i saw between it and
the 4200 were too small to be worth the money.

As for the monitor, I dont think that 17" is tiny. I think that its a good size.

I have also decided to go for the Antec Sonata II case with PSU.

And, you have convinced me to go for the 2gigs.

And, I have gone for the Asus Asus A8N SLI-SE.

Thanks very much for you help guys. :) :) :)