Opteron 146 vs A64 3500+?

dclopper

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I'm buying a new mobo / cpu for my system and have already gotten some feedback from the mobo forum regarding possible combinations which would fit in my budget (around $350). The main thrust in the feedback on the CPU end was to go with a A64 3500+ (Venice), as that would give me the best bang for the buck for gaming without overclocking (since I'm not interested in overclocking).

But then I noticed that Monarch Computers had some good prices on combo systems with the Opty 146, and wanted to get people's thoughts on the 146 versus the 3500+. I couldn't find a benchmark comparison online, and since this is a pure CPU question, figured I'd post here instead of under my previous posting in the mobo forum.

I'm new to AMD (all my previous PCs, including home-built, have been Intel) so apologies in advance if this is a "duh, no comparison" kind of question. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I'm buying a new mobo / cpu for my system and have already gotten some feedback from the mobo forum regarding possible combinations which would fit in my budget (around $350). The main thrust in the feedback on the CPU end was to go with a A64 3500+ (Venice), as that would give me the best bang for the buck for gaming without overclocking (since I'm not interested in overclocking).

But then I noticed that Monarch Computers had some good prices on combo systems with the Opty 146, and wanted to get people's thoughts on the 146 versus the 3500+. I couldn't find a benchmark comparison online, and since this is a pure CPU question, figured I'd post here instead of under my previous posting in the mobo forum.

I'm new to AMD (all my previous PCs, including home-built, have been Intel) so apologies in advance if this is a "duh, no comparison" kind of question. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

First let me start off by saying that Monarch does not have the best prices...look around befor you buy and pay the extra $6-10 for a BOXED set so you get the 3 yr warrenty.

The systems I build useing 146's on are all overclocked to 2.95Ghz (like a P4 running at 4.3Ghz) on stock volts and only hit 38C under full load. They go higher...I just like stock volts.

If it was me I would use what I build systems for others:

DFI Expert $169
Optron 146 $200 (boxed)
G.Skill 4000USU2-2GB-HZ $160 (DDR500 but some people get it up to DDR620)...these run nice and cool and on stock volts 2.6-2.8

Spend the extra money for a real MB and stay away from those "combos". Also use a real cooler...I only build with Thermalright SI-120 and use Silverstone FM-121 fans (part of why the systems I build run so cool).

The cooler is $42 at SVC and the fans are $15 on Newegg.
The way the cooler is built it also cools your ram,power regulators and PWMIC chips. The fans come with a free speed controler and at full rpm push 110 cfm.

Over clocking is not hard. Go read up on the DFI forums.
If you have any questions PM me on the DFI forums as I use the same screen nic.

Z