Sign in with
Your question

RADEON 7000 freezing issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2006 2:50:31 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on these forums can help me.

My boss at work here just bought a RADEON 7000 dual display edition for one of the work computers.

The computer though, comes with a RADEON XPRESS 200 series with it. I formatted the computer, disabled and un-installed the onboard video, installed the 7000 with the new (6.4) cat drivers and hydrovision.

I've got dual display working, got the latest up to date version of direct x.

The problem is that every time I try to run a video (usually in windows media player) the system freezes up and I have to reboot. I've searched all over, ATI's site, other forums etc. I have no idea what to do. I have all the codecs needed, I know that it's the video card that's causing the problems.

Another problem is that the computer is a stupid compaq, has good specs tho ATHLON 64 3500, 1GIG ram etc. but the manual that comes with it doesn't show where the jumper's are to disable to onboard video physically on the mobo.

If anyone has seen this or is familiar with this, it would be GREATLY appreciated if you could help me, I've been banging my head against a wall forever haha and we need to use video for work purposes.

Thanks for any help you can give
May 18, 2006 2:40:53 PM

First you should try to use a previous version of the cards drivers, an older card may have problems with newer drivers.

If that doesn't help, check the cards temps, if you haven't noticed them skyrocketing before then maybe the card overheats, which may also mean that the card could be malfunctioning.

Have you tried any other video apps or games with it?
May 18, 2006 4:22:07 PM

I agree with Jebazor that you should try older drivers first. Try Cat. 6.3 first but don't stop there. You can even try 2-3 years old drivers. Also have you disabled the onboard video in the BIOS? Maybe it'll help
!