DOA Motherboard? Help needed.

greatromances

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Hey everyone. I'm setting up a brand new system based on the Pentium D 805 (yes, I read the article and I liked it that much). I'm running it on a FOXCON P4M800P7MA-RS2. I've got a nice cool Antec Sonata II that i'm now in love with as well. Anyways, after spending a couple hours getting everything set up, I'm finally ready to fire this baby up. Well, everything powered up just fine and dandy, except i'm getting no monitor output, no HDD indicator lighting, and no error beeps. Pretty much nothing! I thought It might just be that I had put my X850pro in to soon and might have to run it off the motherboards vga and disable the onbaord vga later on in exchange for the AGP after installing windows, but that didn't work either. Nothing works! I took everything out and then reconnected everything just to make sure. Still, the CPU fan and Power LED light up, but i'm not getting any error beeps or HDD LED Indicators or video output. Does this sound like a dead motherboard? I need to know so I can put in an RMA to newegg asap with whatever it is that's causing this problem. And soon, as i'm not having fun sitting on my old system with this sweet setup just waiting to be overclocked :(. This is only the 2nd system i've ever setup, and the first one went flawlessly, so it's just my guess that it's a dead motherboard. I need help, and i'll take any suggestions. Please help me, and thanx in advance for any advice you can give me. Much love - Andrew.

[p.s - I had a little trouble getting the freakin heatsink and fan on the cpu, do you think it could have damaged anything in the process causing it to die on me?]

gpatter310

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I have the same setup that I builyt this week. When I put the graphics board in the first time the DVI out worked but now it does not. I am able to get output through Analog by using the conversion plug but no Digital. I fixed it once while debugging by clearing the CMOS but that solution does not work now. Let me know how it works out and I will do the same.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Mistakes others have made.

1) Leaving out the motherboard standoffs so that pins on the back of the motherboard ground themselves to the case.

2) Forgeting to conect both power connectors to the motherboard. I forget what the smaller one is called. Using a 20 pin PSU when the motherboard requires a 24 Pin (some are flexible on this some are not).

3) Incorectly inserting a PCI/AGP/PCIe card or RAM module. If its not all the way in the pins will short, keeping the PSU from starting.

4) Incorectly connected power switch.

5) PSU set to European voltage or US voltage depending...

6) Not connecting the cpu fan to the proper header on the motherboard (some systems will not power on if no cpu fan is detected)

7) Inserting a floppy power connector into their sound card (to give the person credit it did in fact fit.

8) CPU with no heatsink on first boot (for a test run). But then you would smell smoke.

9) CPU with heatsink but no thermal paste (for testing). Maybe the thermal protection will kick on in time, maybe not. Either way not smart.

10) Chiped CPU mounting poorly lapped heatsink (only applied to CPU's with exposed dies).

11) Gouging motherboard with screwdriver, cutting traces or breaking surface mount components.

12) Buying a motherboard than needs a BIOS update to support the CPU, and being unable to update the BIOS without a CPU.

13) Leaving a lose screw behind the motherboard.

14) RMA'ing the MB only to find out you ordered ECC RAM then the motherboard doesn't support ECC RAM.

---------
You can also test the powersupply by disconnecting it from everything, , then connecting the green pin to a black pin with a wire on the 20/24 pin connector. Measure the various voltages with a multimeter. Double check that I am telling you the right pin to turn on the PSU before doing it. I am only 90% certain. Extreme tech has an article on basic component testing. They also say to add a small load to the PSU because some PSU's don't have problems if there is zero load. ET suggest a resister, I used an old Hard drive.

PSU turns on and the voltage are ok when not connected to anything.

Trying to boot to CMOS setup with the mininal amount of connected components is also a good idea.

If you could possible reach teh CMOS setup without it attached then it doesn't need to be attached.

You need a video card, keyboard, monitor, CPU & heatsink, one stick of RAM, powersupply, power switch and speaker. If you can possibly get to the CMOS setup without it connected then it shouldn't be connected.

When you get that working you can add more.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Mistakes others have made.

1) Leaving out the motherboard standoffs so that pins on the back of the motherboard ground themselves to the case.

2) Forgeting to conect both power connectors to the motherboard. I forget what the smaller one is called. Using a 20 pin PSU when the motherboard requires a 24 Pin (some are flexible on this some are not).

3) Incorectly inserting a PCI/AGP/PCIe card or RAM module. If its not all the way in the pins will short, keeping the PSU from starting.

4) Incorectly connected power switch.

5) PSU set to European voltage or US voltage depending...

6) Not connecting the cpu fan to the proper header on the motherboard (some systems will not power on if no cpu fan is detected)

7) Inserting a floppy power connector into their sound card (to give the person credit it did in fact fit.

8) CPU with no heatsink on first boot (for a test run). But then you would smell smoke.

9) CPU with heatsink but no thermal paste (for testing). Maybe the thermal protection will kick on in time, maybe not. Either way not smart.

10) Chiped CPU mounting poorly lapped heatshik (only applied to CPU's with exposed dies).

11) Gouging motherboard with screwdriver, cutting traces or breaking surface mount components.

12) Buying a motherboard than needs a BIOS update to support the CPU, and being unable to update the BIOS without a CPU.

13) Leaving a lose screw behind the motherboard.

14) RMA'ing the MB only to find out you ordered ECC RAM then the motherboard doesn't support ECC RAM.

---------
You can also test the powersupply by disconnecting it from everything, , then connecting the green pin to a black pin with a wire on the 20/24 pin connector. Measure the various voltages with a multimeter. Double check that I am telling you the right pin to turn on the PSU before doing it. I am only 90% certain. Extreme tech has an article on basic component testing. They also say to add a small load to the PSU because some PSU's don't have problems if there is zero load. ET suggest a resister, I used an old Hard drive.

PSU turns on and the voltage are ok when not connected to anything.

Trying to boot to CMOS setup with the mininal amount of connected components is also a good idea.

If you could possible reach teh CMOS setup without it attached then it doesn't need to be attached.

You need a video card, keyboard, monitor, CPU & heatsink, one stick of RAM, powersupply, power switch and speaker. If you can possibly get to the CMOS setup without it connected then it shouldn't be connected.

When you get that working you can add more.

Very amusing list...I like the one about the floppy connector, into the

Sound Card. :lol:

TRENDING THREADS