Goggles are no longer being hung up - Performance tip

Further to my recent post about my PC no longer working for FS, I stumbled
across some advice that has restored the system to A1.

My original post entitled "hanging up my goggles" is contained the text at
the bottom of this post.

The advice was found on the temproary PMDG forum (
http://pmdg.forumsplace.com/message1144.html ) and works brilliantly. I
must stress that if anyone does this I will not be held to blame for
resultant damage as it does involve becoming intimate with the PC
components.

Basically my PC is about 3 years old, albeit not too bad a spec (See below),
however I was running at slideshow frame rates even though it used to work
just fine. I took the advice and got the Dyson out and stripped the CPU
heatsink/fan etc and began removing dust. I did the same for the graphics
card. I am now running at 15 - 20 deg C cooler on the CPU and the frame
rate is awesome (Low is mid teans, normal is high twenty /thirty and top is
silly numbers). So smooth I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Maybe this will help solve the mystery of PCs that slow down over time.

Regards

Geoff

Original post.

For some months now I've been watching the newsgroup even though no flights
have taken place, the reason being down to system performance. I like to
fly the add-on stuff but it seems to really kill the frame rate, even though
the system ran OKwhen I bought it. After numerous re-installs of XP and FS9
I've decided to call it a day for now. I'm not after suggestions to speed it
up, I've done them all, I just think I'll sit it out until something in
addition to FS justifies an upgrade. I'll probaby wait for the next release
of FS when I can justify the 5Ghz P10, with 20 TB of ram and the twin 40K
RPM RAID 0 disks.

I'll probably still watch the group because I'm sad that way, but will most
likely swap my CH pedals and Yoke for a new camera lens or gadget on eBay.

Cheers

Geoff

For anyone interested the system spec is detailed below.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE
6.0 SP1)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A,
2533 MHz (4.75 x 533)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8STXC
(5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 3 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 645DX
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular
(08/03/02)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce FX 5900XT
(128 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX
5900XT (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX
5900 XT

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio
Device

GREGORY

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:00:09 +0100, "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Further to my recent post about my PC no longer working for FS, I stumbled
>across some advice that has restored the system to A1.
>
>My original post entitled "hanging up my goggles" is contained the text at
>the bottom of this post.
>
>The advice was found on the temproary PMDG forum (
>http://pmdg.forumsplace.com/message1144.html ) and works brilliantly. I
>must stress that if anyone does this I will not be held to blame for
>resultant damage as it does involve becoming intimate with the PC
>components.
>
>Basically my PC is about 3 years old, albeit not too bad a spec (See below),
>however I was running at slideshow frame rates even though it used to work
>just fine. I took the advice and got the Dyson out and stripped the CPU
>heatsink/fan etc and began removing dust. I did the same for the graphics
>card. I am now running at 15 - 20 deg C cooler on the CPU and the frame
>rate is awesome (Low is mid teans, normal is high twenty /thirty and top is
>silly numbers). So smooth I think I've died and gone to heaven.
>
>Maybe this will help solve the mystery of PCs that slow down over time.
>
>Regards
>
>Geoff

When you decide on a hyper-fast CPU and power dissipating video
chip for the ultimate simulation.. keep an eye on the thermal design
of the system. Does it have cooling ducts / tunnels for CPU and
adequate cabinet fans? Remember that FanMod Turbo (chuckle)
hi CFM fan?

Another point is.. to reduce dust in the cabinet (and in the room)
especially when PC is located in carpeted area or sleeping chamber
(where mate can watch late-night Simflights).. an air filter appliance
can have a BIG effect. See the Hunter model 30100 and similar which
is running about 2 meters behind `operators chair' here in room!!

http://www.google.com/search?q=hunter%2030100

has three power settings 70w, 100w, 120w (lo, med, hi)
works great and provides low-level `white noise'.. how soothing!!

-g

dallas

"GeoffC"
> I am now running at 15 - 20 deg C cooler on the CPU and the frame
> rate is awesome

I'm well please to have you back with us! :)

But, I'm unclear as to how a warmer CPU and GPU can slow frame rates. I
would have said it's all or nothing - run or crash.

Perhaps, it's generating errors that require more cycles to correct? I'd
like hear from our hardware gurus on this.

Dallas

not bothered about the science it just works. It is now flying (no pun
intended). I hoovered my PC and gained over 20fps!!

Some clever person please explain.

Regards

Geoff

> "GeoffC"
> > I am now running at 15 - 20 deg C cooler on the CPU and the frame
> > rate is awesome
>
> I'm well please to have you back with us! :)
>
> But, I'm unclear as to how a warmer CPU and GPU can slow frame rates. I
> would have said it's all or nothing - run or crash.
>
> Perhaps, it's generating errors that require more cycles to correct? I'd
> like hear from our hardware gurus on this.
>
> Dallas

I "think" that the Pentium 4s have a throttle that cuts computer speed when
an overheat condition is detected -- not so for AMDs though.

Barry

"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> not bothered about the science it just works. It is now flying (no pun
> intended). I hoovered my PC and gained over 20fps!!
>
> Some clever person please explain.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoff
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
> >
> > "GeoffC"
> > > I am now running at 15 - 20 deg C cooler on the CPU and the frame
> > > rate is awesome
> >
> > I'm well please to have you back with us! :)
> >
> > But, I'm unclear as to how a warmer CPU and GPU can slow frame rates. I
> > would have said it's all or nothing - run or crash.
> >
> > Perhaps, it's generating errors that require more cycles to correct?
I'd
> > like hear from our hardware gurus on this.
> >
> > Dallas

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Barry Ward" <wardb3@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>I "think" that the Pentium 4s have a throttle that cuts computer speed when
> an overheat condition is detected -- not so for AMDs though.
>
> Barry
>
> "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> not bothered about the science it just works. It is now flying (no pun
>> intended). I hoovered my PC and gained over 20fps!!

Yes, I'd have to agree that CPU throttling is the only thing that makes
sense here. Not too sure about ACTUALLY using a Dyson to clear dust (watch
out for static!), but certainly, it will reduce temperatures. Geoff, don't
suppose you noted CPU temperatures pre/post vacuuming? Throttling on a P4
normally cuts in around 75C (if it gets significantly hotter, it simply
shuts down completely, so in theory it is not possible to fry a P4 - and
please, don't anyone try to prove/disprove this statement!).
Regards,
Steve.

Steve,

It was actually 75 deg before it was powered down for the Dyson treatment.
Running much cooler now.

Regards

Geoff

GeoffC wrote:

> Steve,
>
> It was actually 75 deg before it was powered down for the Dyson treatment.
> Running much cooler now.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoff

BTW one piece of advice I got- if you do clean out the computer, either
with a vacuum cleaner or air blower- chock the fans. If you let them
windmill, they generate voltage which could damage the circuitry.

T.

> "stevem" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Barry Ward" <wardb3@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>I "think" that the Pentium 4s have a throttle that cuts computer speed
>
> when
>
>>>an overheat condition is detected -- not so for AMDs though.
>>>
>>>Barry
>>>
>>>"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>Yes, I'd have to agree that CPU throttling is the only thing that makes
>>sense here. Not too sure about ACTUALLY using a Dyson to clear dust (watch
>>out for static!), but certainly, it will reduce temperatures. Geoff, don't
>>suppose you noted CPU temperatures pre/post vacuuming? Throttling on a P4
>>normally cuts in around 75C (if it gets significantly hotter, it simply
>>shuts down completely, so in theory it is not possible to fry a P4 - and
>>please, don't anyone try to prove/disprove this statement!).
>>Regards,
>>Steve.

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

> Steve,
>
> It was actually 75 deg before it was powered down for the Dyson treatment.
> Running much cooler now.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoff
Well, that just about proves the throttling theory. Well done for spotting
the dust-removal tip!
Regards,
Steve.

> "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Steve,
>>
>> It was actually 75 deg before it was powered down for the Dyson
>> treatment.
>> Running much cooler now.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Geoff
> Well, that just about proves the throttling theory. Well done for spotting
> the dust-removal tip!
> Regards,
> Steve.

Do AMD processors 'throttle down' before combusting?!

Chris

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Chris Curtis" <chris@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "stevem" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> It was actually 75 deg before it was powered down for the Dyson
>>> treatment.
>>> Running much cooler now.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Geoff
>> Well, that just about proves the throttling theory. Well done for
>> spotting the dust-removal tip!
>> Regards,
>> Steve.
>
> Do AMD processors 'throttle down' before combusting?!
>
> Chris

Chris,
I have no experience with AMD processors, but I seem to recall reading
somewhere that it is now done via circuits on the motherboard (certainly,
earlier AMDs would fry in a second or less if the heatsink was removed). As
far as I am aware, the modern ones don't actually have throttling as such,
but I stress, I have no experience of them; hopefully, someone more
knowledgeable will pitch in here.
Regards,
Steve.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:48:54 -0400, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:00:09 +0100, "GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com>
>brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Further to my recent post about my PC no longer working for FS, I stumbled
>>across some advice that has restored the system to A1.
>>
>>My original post entitled "hanging up my goggles" is contained the text at
>>the bottom of this post.
>>
>>The advice was found on the temproary PMDG forum (
>>http://pmdg.forumsplace.com/message1144.html ) and works brilliantly. I
>>must stress that if anyone does this I will not be held to blame for
>>resultant damage as it does involve becoming intimate with the PC
>>components.
>>
>>Basically my PC is about 3 years old, albeit not too bad a spec (See below),
>>however I was running at slideshow frame rates even though it used to work
>>just fine. I took the advice and got the Dyson out and stripped the CPU
>>heatsink/fan etc and began removing dust. I did the same for the graphics
>>card. I am now running at 15 - 20 deg C cooler on the CPU and the frame
>>rate is awesome (Low is mid teans, normal is high twenty /thirty and top is
>>silly numbers). So smooth I think I've died and gone to heaven.
>>
>>Maybe this will help solve the mystery of PCs that slow down over time.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Geoff
>>

>When you decide on a hyper-fast CPU and power dissipating video
>chip for the ultimate simulation.. keep an eye on the thermal design
>of the system. Does it have cooling ducts / tunnels for CPU and
>adequate cabinet fans? Remember that FanMod Turbo (chuckle)
>hi CFM fan?

Also that the more air you move through the PC and the faster you move
it, the more dirt it will accumulate. Faster fans on heat sinks mean
better cooling, but the heat sinks will get dirty faster.

the dirt from the fan will grab onto anything that slows the air,
restricts the air flow, or has sharp edges.

So better cooling means the need to clean the thing out more often.

>Another point is.. to reduce dust in the cabinet (and in the room)
>especially when PC is located in carpeted area or sleeping chamber
>(where mate can watch late-night Simflights).. an air filter appliance
>can have a BIG effect. See the Hunter model 30100 and similar which
>is running about 2 meters behind `operators chair' here in room!!

I have a dust filter with a Hepa filter in it to do the room, but
still the area behind the computers gets loaded with "dust bunnies" in
just a few days. I try to remember to run it on high when I'm not in
here. I also have a rather large cat
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/cat_files/Lunch.htm (that bird house is
over 6 feet off the ground) who comes in and wraps himself around the
base of the monitor when I'm working in here late at night. It's not
warm (LCD), but he likes that enclosed space and he can keep track of
me. Fortunately he sheds very little.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

> http://www.google.com/search?q=hunter%2030100
>

>has three power settings 70w, 100w, 120w (lo, med, hi)
>works great and provides low-level `white noise'.. how soothing!!
>

> -g

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I like to take my puters down to work about once a month and blow them out
with compressed air.
One was getting clunky and a good blowjob dropped its temp by 15 degrees.

Bryan

BTW never let anyone smoke near your computers, it forms a film which
attracts dust like mad

> [...]
> release
> of FS when I can justify the 5Ghz P10, with 20 TB of ram and the twin 40K
> RPM RAID 0 disks.
>
> I'll probably still watch the group because I'm sad that way, but will
> most
> likely swap my CH pedals and Yoke for a new camera lens or gadget on eBay.
>
> Cheers
>
> Geoff
>

> For anyone interested the system spec is detailed below.
>

> Computer:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows
> XP
> Professional
> Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE
> 6.0 SP1)
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A,
> 2533 MHz (4.75 x 533)
> Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8STXC
> (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 3 DIMM, Audio, LAN)

dallas

"Bryan"
> I like to take my puters down to work about once a month and blow them out
> with compressed air.

Don't need to... I have filters on the incoming air fans.

Dallas

"Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
> I also have a rather large cat
> http://www.rogerhalstead.com/cat_files/Lunch.htm (that bird house is
> over 6 feet off the ground) who comes in and wraps himself around the
> base of the monitor when I'm working in here late at night. It's not
> warm (LCD), but he likes that enclosed space and he can keep track of
> me. Fortunately he sheds very little.

He could almost be a meercat!
Mine prefers to lie across the keyboard!

Chris

Good news! :))

JW