Announced call transfer on SIP phones (and Asterisk)

Trying to transfer a call between SIP phones and:

The "XFR" button puts the caller on hold while you then dial a new
extension number. OK, good. Once dialed, the line 'goes dead' and the
caller is transferred immediately to that extension with a ring tone (bad).

How can you do an "announced" transfer?

And retrieve the caller if the new extension is busy or not answering??

Or how should this work??

Thanks,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.

Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> Trying to transfer a call between SIP phones and:
>
> The "XFR" button puts the caller on hold while you then dial a new
> extension number. OK, good. Once dialed, the line 'goes dead' and
> the caller is transferred immediately to that extension with a ring
> tone (bad).

Why bad..?

> How can you do an "announced" transfer?

Erm.. how about "I'm transferring you to Mr. X" before pressing the
transfer button..?!

> And retrieve the caller if the new extension is busy or not
> answering??

Most PBX's should do that automatically. All the ones I've used do anyway.

Ivor

Ian

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> Martin 53N 1W wrote:
> > Trying to transfer a call between SIP phones and:
> >
> > The "XFR" button puts the caller on hold while you then dial a new
> > extension number. OK, good. Once dialed, the line 'goes dead' and
> > the caller is transferred immediately to that extension with a ring
> > tone (bad).
>
> Why bad..?
>
> > How can you do an "announced" transfer?

I dont need to but parking works well as a work arround

> Erm.. how about "I'm transferring you to Mr. X" before pressing the
> transfer button..?!

What the OP means is screened transfer , This is lacking in * at the moment.
But they are both hthe same same thing ansd that is telling the person the
call is for who the caller is. what you have described is a blind transfer.

> > And retrieve the caller if the new extension is busy or not
> > answering??

The work arround is to park the call then call the peron the call is for and
tell them the park No.

> Most PBX's should do that automatically. All the ones I've used do anyway.

* is not like most PBX's in some ways but better in many,

Check the wiki there may be a bounty for screened transfer, perhaps adding
soem more money to it will get it done.

Ian

Ian wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
>>Martin 53N 1W wrote:
>>
>>>Trying to transfer a call between SIP phones and:
>>>
>>>The "XFR" button puts the caller on hold while you then dial a new
>>>extension number. OK, good. Once dialed, the line 'goes dead' and
>>>the caller is transferred immediately to that extension with a ring
>>>tone (bad).

This was on the IP2006 phones. The fix was to update the phone's
firmware to where the hold + XFR feature is now implemented.

>>>How can you do an "announced" transfer?
>>
> I dont need to but parking works well as a work arround

Nice idea :)-))

>>Erm.. how about "I'm transferring you to Mr. X" before pressing the
>>transfer button..?!
>
> What the OP means is screened transfer , This is lacking in * at the moment.
> But they are both hthe same same thing ansd that is telling the person the
> call is for who the caller is. what you have described is a blind transfer.

The sequence is to use 'hold' and then XFR when you have found the
target victim. Your present call and the held call are connected
together and you get dropped.

>>>And retrieve the caller if the new extension is busy or not
>>>answering??
>
> The work arround is to park the call then call the peron the call is for and
> tell them the park No.

Thanks,
Martin