Your question

How to play the CellFactor demo w/out a PhysX PPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2006 4:39:03 AM

So the CellFactor demo requires us to go out and buy a PhysX card, right?

WRONG!

Download the demo.

Edit the shortcut (right click it, choose properties, go to shortcut and then target) by adding "EnablePhysX=false" at the end. This is case sensitive.

The CellFactor High Graphics shortcut target should read:

"X:Cellfactor DemoSystemGameCellFactor.exe" FullScreen=true FullScreenWidth=1024 FullScreenHeight=768 HDREnabled=true DropShadows=true MaxLowRezDropShadows=20 MaxHighRezDropShadows=4 StaticShadow=true EnablePhysX=false

Note that the X is the drive you installed it on, typically "C".

The CellFactor Low Graphics shortcut target should read:

"X:Cellfactor DemoSystemGameCellFactor.exe" FullScreen=true FullScreenWidth=800 FullScreenHeight=600 AnisotropyLevel=1 HDREnabled=false DropShadows=false MaxLowRezDropShadows=0 MaxHighRezDropShadows=0 StaticShadow=false EnablePhysX=false

Again, the X is the drive letter of the drive you installed it on.

I thought this was a cool thing to pass on to everyone. I've tested it and the game actually runs well on my system. It's also cool to know that you DO NOT need a PhysX processor, whereas Ageia tells us that we do.

For screenshots and more info, go here

Try it out and let me know what you think!

EDIT: If you have any problems, go here for info on Ageia drivers. I had no problems at all when I went to play but you never know...

More about : play cellfactor demo physx ppu

May 18, 2006 4:44:33 AM

Rofl awesome...
May 18, 2006 5:21:30 AM

This method really works, wow, I've been asking around on how to play CellFactor without the hardware. I'm gonna give it a try and see.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 18, 2006 5:24:22 AM

downloading... hope it works :D 
May 20, 2006 1:25:52 AM

Dude thank yuo thank you so much! You are awesome so awesome!
May 20, 2006 1:29:59 AM

I went to download it on AGEIA's site and they don't have it available for download now.
May 20, 2006 1:37:53 AM

Damn they must've found this thread and are working on it so you cant play it without PhysX< yelling across forumz>DAMN YOU AGEIA DAMN YOU TO HELL!
May 20, 2006 1:56:54 AM

So basically ageia is trying to sell us something we don't need cause we already have it. Hey would'nt it make more sense that amd or intel released a patch for dual core procs so that one core can do the normal work while the other can specialize in physics processing would'nt that work better than an add in board? If you think about it it makes sense cause the fsb on the slowest dual core proc(805)is 533 mhz 5 times faster than pci bus and if the each core has access to the system ram whuch we will estimate at 1 gig than it should beat the ageia PhysX hands down!
May 20, 2006 3:06:16 AM

Thank you for the information !!! Now for a quick question... Is the game any good ? I just want to know before I run out and ummm buy it... yeah thats what I was thinking about doing lol
May 20, 2006 3:06:56 AM

Nah in think that with quad cores my idea would work now if amd and intel would just agree to make a patch.
May 20, 2006 3:33:53 AM

Yea... but i still have the installation file.
Anyone want to set me up with an upload account?

PM me. It's about half a gig.

Something is messed up for me though... take a look.
All these textures are just flying around. Feels like no clip mode, but i cant fly around.
I also can't turn off HDR, b/c i have to restart at which point it detects i dont have a crapgeia card.

May 20, 2006 5:25:25 AM

8O :oops:  8O :oops:  8O :oops:  8O :oops:  8O :oops:  8O :oops:  8O
May 20, 2006 5:28:06 AM

The game really isn't all that great to tell you the truth. According to the site that I got this info from, even people who have a PPU still get very low framerates. The demo just seems like it was rushed out as soon as possible just so people with a PPU could actually have something to use it for. Of course, that's probably because that's what actually happened.

It kinda backfired on Ageia when they came out with a "PPU-Only" demo that:
1.) Someone was clever enough to 'crack' to allow anyone to play.
2.) Upon having that 'crack' we now know that the PPU isn't really helping things much at all.

I imagine that there's a lot of people over at Ageia who are feeling pretty stupid right now.

So, in answer to your question, I'd definitely try to download the demo before buying it (if they get it back up and running). Of course, it's gonna be a while till the full game comes out, anyway.
May 20, 2006 5:48:09 AM

Hey Master are you trying to play the high or low graphics settings? If your screenshot is from the high graphics setting then you might try changing the shortcut target to say HDREnabled=false instead of true. I saw from your sig that you're running an x850xt which doesn't support HDR. If the game is trying to run HDR and your card doesn't support then that might be part of the cause of your problems.

Just a guess.

EDIT: Have you tried the link to the Ageia driver info yet?
May 20, 2006 6:03:52 AM

Do you have laag during really big explosions? does you FPS drop to 10 FPS?
And the method of running the game without the card if quite OLD, like weeks ago, and here I thought everyone knew.

And I must say this:

GPU PHYSICS IS ONLY EYE-CANDY, you cannot interact with it, nor get any gameplay tru GPU PHYSICS/Eye candy physics e.g. fire effects. Cause no data can go backward tru a GPU(For now), if it can, forget about getting 7 Tera Flops per sec on a Quad SLI config.
May 20, 2006 6:18:19 AM

Quote:
Do you have laag during really big explosions? does you FPS drop to 10 FPS?
And the method of running the game without the card if quite OLD, like weeks ago, and here I thought everyone knew.

And I must say this:

GPU PHYSICS IS ONLY EYE-CANDY, you cannot interact with it, nor get any gameplay tru GPU PHYSICS/Eye candy physics e.g. fire effects. Cause no data can go backward tru a GPU(For now), if it can, forget about getting 7 Tera Flops per sec on a Quad SLI config.

1. Yes, there is lag during big explosions. However, according to this the framerate on this demo is going to suck regardless of whether a PPU is installed or not. (That's my third post of this link, by the way. Try looking at it sometime.)

2. If this method is an old one, why didn't you post it before me? I checked all PPU posts before submitting this topic. It wasn't in any of them. That being said, why would you think that everyone already knew?

3. GPU physics? In the absence of a PPU it's the CPU which takes on the physics load, not the graphics card. It has only been theorized that the GPU will be able to handle physics. It's not a reality yet.

P.S. It's a good thing that you edited your post. My 4th point was going to be that yes, you can play it in fullscreen.
May 20, 2006 7:04:59 AM

Dude, we don't wanna know what you do on your spare time and definitely don't want to see what you and your bestfriend did on springbreak! Behave yourself! 8O

Anyways, well that's weird they cut the download for the game, maybe they want people to buy the card cuz nobody's buying that crap with it's crappy premier game GRAW.
May 20, 2006 7:08:36 AM

Quote:

Anyways, well that's weird they cut the download for the game, maybe they want people to buy the card cuz nobody's buying that crap with it's crappy premier game GRAW.

Yeah, I think that it's shady as hell. Something's going on over at Ageia. I think they may be realizing that they made a gigantic mistake in releasing this "revolutionary" card with absolutely nothing to support it yet. Now they're just trying to cover their a$$e$ by getting rid of the evidence...
May 20, 2006 7:59:46 AM

Yep, they (Ageia) got caught red handed with their physx card scam. Reviews have proved it that it causes a slowdown of the system to some even playing GRAW and getting 10-15fps. 8O That's pretty ridiculous and I was really hoping that these cards could boost performance by taking over the physics task from the cpu. Instead it backfired, $300 piece of underclocking tool that's what it is. They (Ageia) need to get their head out of their asses and start thinking a solution for this big problem, that could be their company's demise.

And now that someone found out to run the game (Cellfactor) without the need to purchase the $300 underclocking card, they stop the download. Good thing I have saved mine, hopefully some server out there could distribute this cool demo. Right now it is better to have a $600 cpu than a $300 cpu with a $300 physx card or even with a $600 w/ $300 underclocking Ageia card.

Now we see how weak this physics card is and Im hoping that Nvidia could come up with something better and get rid of this noob company selling a $300 piece of paper weight.
May 20, 2006 8:05:46 AM

never fear you can download it at my other file sharing site such as fileplanet etc... thanks for the info guys fun stuff
May 20, 2006 8:18:08 AM

I think the PPU just needs time to mature. This reminds me of the old 3D cards that came out right after the Voodoo1... I cant remember the company who made it but I had one built into my computer and all 3D games ran faster if I turned off 3D acceleration lol So dont be too hard on Agea im thinking with either some driver improvements or another version of the card (Does PCI have enough bandwidth to do physics ???) maybe a PCIe 1X ? I think that this whole PPU thing would be alot better.
May 21, 2006 2:33:09 AM

Quote:
Hey Master are you trying to play the high or low graphics settings? If your screenshot is from the high graphics setting then you might try changing the shortcut target to say HDREnabled=false instead of true. I saw from your sig that you're running an x850xt which doesn't support HDR. If the game is trying to run HDR and your card doesn't support then that might be part of the cause of your problems.

Just a guess.

EDIT: Have you tried the link to the Ageia driver info yet?

Turned HDR off.. thanxs! Works a little better now, i can actually see whats going on in some places. :lol: 
I dont see any drivers on that link, says he used up his bandwidth already.

Still though, weird textures flying around everywhere. you have a command to turn of the shadows maybe?

look at this...pretty freaky.
The car is there one minute the next time its getting sucked in by some warp lol

I think it might be an ATI graphics issue.
Anyone get this working on an ati card?
May 21, 2006 2:57:28 AM

You could try editing the shortcut target "dropshadows" part but I can't guarantee it will work.

I have it running on my x1900xt, so it's probably not an ATI problem. Maybe it has to/is trying to run w/ shader model 3.0? I haven't heard anything about it requiring SM3 but if it did that might explain something.

You can try running your card at stock speeds. Maybe that'll help.

If none of these things can solve it then I have to admit that I'm stumped with this one. Of course it was never really intended to run with the 'crack', so I guess we should just take what we can get.

You're not really missing much. Just some damn-near unkillable bots and craptastic gameplay. :D 
May 21, 2006 3:21:56 AM

I tried everything, you're probably right it's the sm 3.0.
Oh well...
May 21, 2006 1:00:19 PM

Quote:
Nah in think that with quad cores my idea would work now if amd and intel would just agree to make a patch.

No, because then games will have four threads and use all four cores. Like I said, the GPUs can do the physics, and as time goes on, GPUs will basically do what the Physx card does. Ya but i still think that if my idea is a good one oh well we will just have to wait.
May 21, 2006 2:06:33 PM

Ya but listen just installing a patch to boost physics calculations would be better than buying a whole new videocard.
May 21, 2006 2:18:22 PM

Yeah your right but for now my idea would kick ass.
May 23, 2006 11:18:09 PM

Quote:
Hey would'nt it make more sense that amd or intel released a patch for dual core procs so that one core can do the normal work while the other can specialize in physics processing would'nt that work better than an add in board?
Too bad even the Conroe wouldn't be capable of producing the amount of floating point calculations the AGEIA PhysX or a videocard can.
May 23, 2006 11:27:01 PM

Then why cant Nvidia?Ati make cpu's?
May 27, 2006 9:23:08 AM

Yo, I just want to know if this technic work with other games who use this technology exemple Graw? And if it différent or not?
May 27, 2006 5:24:41 PM

GRAW doesn't "require" a PhysX card to be played. You can play the game without one. The only reason CellFactor is unique is that Ageia claims you need a PPU in order to play it. Of course, we now know that you don't.
May 27, 2006 5:49:34 PM

ok but I want to play without Ageia card but with the special ageia graphic's effect! It's possible or not? :roll:
May 27, 2006 5:56:37 PM

No. But those "special Ageia effects" would destroy your framerate and render the game nearly unplayable. Yes, that pun was intended.
May 27, 2006 5:57:25 PM

Ageia fucked us all over, they are still using 130nm parts for crying out loud.
"New technology" my ass. :roll:

130nm can house only one quarter the transistors of 65nm in the same physical space... and they claim to be the masters of physics.

Bring on Physics via GPU (far smarter idea), or using ClearSpeed (Google 'ClearSpeed' for even more hits and info) parts, this Ageia shit is just a cheap, sad trick to make some con artists a heap of money.

People think they need it because of mass advertising, and that is the sad part. Far better alternatives have existed for years already people, open your eyes.
May 27, 2006 6:32:50 PM

Intel would bury them?
May 28, 2006 6:15:25 PM

Quote:
You will need to buy a card when Vista comes out, and games require DX10 cards to run. And DX10 cards will probably be capable of doing the calculations that the PPU can. Right now, it won't make a difference either way.

Dude, no data can go backwards in a shader prosesser, that means no interactable physics effects that can "touch"/"kill" you or charactar your playing in a game, end of story. Unless data can go backwards in a GPU, the GPU Physics prosessing is only Eye-Candy for now.

The game GR:AW has Havoc physics engine with Ageia layered on top, thats why its not performing well, what a shoddy trade-off, what wil really take advantage of the Ageia PhyX engine with t3h card, is a game engine that prosesses all the physics data to the ppu, like the Unreal Engine 3 for example, it will bring more FPS, but I'm buying for feature, not just more FPS, I'm addicted to the UT series, there are a lot of mods for it, so we can just wait, and see for the UT2007 demo.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2006 10:06:40 PM

Quote:

Dude, no data can go backwards in a shader prosesser,

No but it can loop back in, doesn't need to go 'backwards' (what would the point be anyways), and you can take ROP information so that's doable, and the VPU can talk to the CPU and send info back all the time.

Quote:
that means no interactable physics effects that can "touch"/"kill" you or charactar your playing in a game, end of story.

And the level of the load of that would take up next to NO CPU load, like I said before. The amount of phsyics that is more than just 'shiny water' physics is NOT the load on the CPU, the load that's killing the CPU IS the particle/shiny physics. So the area you're speaking of doesn't need the VPU, like I said before and you still can't get. The ONLY games it'll matter in are the ones that 'could' do physics 100% of the game time, and that would be something like a flying game, or even a driving game to a lesser extent, but I doubt the PhysX card could handle that load yet either.

Quote:
Unless data can go backwards in a GPU, the GPU Physics prosessing is only Eye-Candy for now.

It can loop so you could achieve the same with a performance penalty, but even that isn't essential, and it can communicate with the CPU along the PEG slot which means it doesn't use 2 different paths to communicate the physics data. Collision physics; and even more game dependant interactive physics are possible on the VPU, but the interactive are 'currently' better suited on the CPU or PPU, but these are very limited in their appearance in many games.

Quote:
The game GR:AW has Havoc physics engine with Ageia layered on top, thats why its not performing well, what a shoddy trade-off, what wil really take advantage of the Ageia PhyX engine with t3h card, is a game engine that prosesses all the physics data to the ppu, like the Unreal Engine 3 for example, it will bring more FPS,

Until it launches and there's proof, then it's speculation. That it needs special coding in the game shows that it's not going to be a universal solution with such poor adoption. And I doubt UT2K7 is even going to need it as much. It would be good for the Vehicle based physics, but everything else would easily be doable on the VPUs. Only the lob of the frag launcher, the long range effect of a droping sabot or the turn of an avril. Thos would be very light effect compared to all the shiny phsyics, because you only render YOUR physics, not everyone else's so the requirements would still be low compared to the visual load.

Quote:
but I'm buying for feature, not just more FPS, I'm addicted to the UT series, there are a lot of mods for it, so we can just wait, and see for the UT2007 demo.

And until then the PPU is overpriced, overhyped, and not well implemented. Defiintely not reasons to buy until there is a killer app it's good with.

Just like what we always say here, BUY WHEN THE GAME YOU WANT TO PLAY COMES OUT. buying before leaves alot of risk, especially for such an expensive niche product.

Ageia's PhysX card is looking like XGI's VolariV8Duo.

You gotta think they're going to be in financial trouble if they don't move enough of these, because their sales structure doesn't have other line or past profits that they can use to leverage sales.
July 19, 2006 4:12:39 PM

The way I see it, I'm still very glad I bought the Agiea card.

Why? Innovation, nothing else.

I've tried this idea out, and with the Physx card it still looks and plays better than without it. Also, keep in mind this is a first generation piece of hardware. Do most people remember the original 3Dfx cards? Not really, because they were not that good. But fortunately the 3D world was smart enough to push for more innovation. Are we going to be smart enough to push for physics innovation too? So far, it looks like the gaming community is going to shoot itself in the foot on that one.

DON'T BE STUPID!!!!

Support these guys, your future gaming experience relies on it.

Personally I hope the the physics process does go to the graphics card companies soon. Not via software tricks, but inside the hardware on the graphics cards. Be it on the GPU itself or another chip on the grahipcs card. Just seems that would be the best place for that kind of processor work.
July 31, 2006 2:19:29 PM

If you want a true comparison, rather than speculation, download the "driver" package from Aegia, and uncheck the box to install the driver when you install the package and you'll still install the physX engine. It allows for "software" mode. Handy for those with dual core systems as it seems to be all hyperthreaded.
February 26, 2007 1:08:20 PM

I notice alot of people are having problems with framerates with random lag reducing the frame rate to like 1-5fps and generally low framerates 10 - 15fps, i also had this problem then i found a solution if u turn off enable cloth effects and display fluid effects in user prefs in the standard options menu not the gfx menu it allows for a constant higher framerate im runnin it with a

X800 GTO3 256mb slightly overclocked
AMD64 3700+ overclocked to 2.4
2 gb ddr ram pc3200 400mhz
and xp sp2
NO PPU

and its running at like 20 - 30 fps constantly on 1152x864 with bots on but on the low graphics setting with everything off pretty much except 60 on texture, graphics still looks gd tho and plays amazing oh and to do the big psi power push/jump is space and ctrl at the same time took me a while to figure tht out lol

Oh also if you go to the root directory for cellfactor then go in the cellfactor folder and open desktop.ini you can change the amount of bots used in TDM and DM and the fact that it restarts everytime a game finishes

also any1 know why the editor doesnt work for me it just comes up with the same message as when u click on cellfactor.exe without EnablePhysX=false added and then it has an error box which follows tht which says:

Reality Builder.exe - Application Error

exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x0683bcb1

Any body have any solutions?

Cheers Rage39a
February 26, 2007 1:54:29 PM

Hey all,

I have a link for the demo,

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13618.shtml

I'm afraid I can't guarantee that the link works as I am currently at univ and can't D/L it as that would constitute misuse of school's internet. : ]

enjoi.
May 10, 2007 7:27:01 PM

The PC is really becoming ignorant to me. It's like every other game that comes out you got to go buy a $300 piece of hardware to run it. First they make you upgrade GFX cards for pixel shader model then you need dual core processors. Some companies only make games playable on the very high end GFX cards. Micro$oft and their plans to limit some games to Vista only. Only God knows how much your going to have to fork out to get Crysys to run upon it's release and now this Ageia crap Physics Processing unit? To me the PC is nothing more than extortion. Dual core processor aren't even being utilized fully in any game out so why would I need another piece of silicon in my rig when half the stuff in it isn't being used to it's full potential. And gamers lets be honest their isn't a game out that is more enjoyable than Half Life 2. Some may look better but none are no where as good. So if Valve can do it why can't these other companies make quality games without gamers having to buy rigs that can decode the human genome and run a super collider at the same time. A dual core processor and a $400 GFX card should be able to do everything under the sun for the next 6 years. A Physics processor is crap, so whats next a card for AI a card for lights and shadows a card for Geo Mod a card for inventory menus? So please gamers don't buy this card cause if you do they are going to keep making buy unnecessary crap for your rig and most games suck anyways. Make better games not useless add ons.
May 10, 2007 7:40:04 PM

Valve made the source engine a few years back, thats why it runs well on older machines. PhysX is BS, nvidia and ati have been working on physics fora while now so its most likely that agaya will have to either sell themselves to on or the other in order to get a piece of the market. PCs have always been the most expensive format without a doubt, It just a matter of what you prefer and what you can afford. Dual core utilisation will become more prevelant as time goes on and more developers begin to incorporate multithreading, so dual core at the moment is really just an exercise in future proofing.

Another reason why developers spend less time ( seemingly ) on optimising their games for older systems is because of the amount of time and therefore money it takes to do so.

Also, no tech you buy now will be cutting it in 6 years. Moore's law makes sure of that.

C1tY.
May 10, 2007 7:58:11 PM

Quote:

No, because then games will have four threads and use all four cores. Like I said, the GPUs can do the physics, and as time goes on, GPUs will basically do what the Physx card does.

Thats just stupid.

Making games multi-threaded is completely worthless. All the CPU does is send the data over to the GPU for it to do all the work. If the CPU can manage 60 FPS u dont need anything else, and a single core can and has been doing that, so there is no need for games to be multi-threaded.

There IS a need however for physics, and thats EXACTLY what the other cores can do so that they dont just sit there collecting heat.
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2007 8:13:56 PM

Quote:
The PC is really becoming ignorant to me.

Or more accurately you're becoming more ignorant of PCs.

Quote:
Dual core processor aren't even being utilized fully in any game out so why would I need another piece of silicon in my rig when half the stuff in it isn't being used to it's full potential.

First things first, games are now utilizing dual core, and games like Supreme Commander even use Quad core.
And the CPUs themselves are very useful outside of gaming as well.
So it's more about how you use them, and really no one is forcing you to.

Quote:
And gamers lets be honest their isn't a game out that is more enjoyable than Half Life 2.

That's very subjective; while I liked HL2 and stil hold it in high regard, I like Oblivion, and UT2K4 better.

Quote:
So if Valve can do it why can't these other companies make quality games without gamers having to buy rigs that can decode the human genome and run a super collider at the same time. A dual core processor and a $400 GFX card should be able to do everything under the sun for the next 6 years.

No it shouldn't, anymore than the original PC should be all the computer you ever need. :roll:
Increased requirements are because of increased workloads, be it graphics, AI or physics. HL2 had alot of areas it could improve on. It was good but as their Loast cost and Ep1 releases showed, there were areas they could improve upon.

Quote:
A Physics processor is crap

One that only does physics, sure, but the need for physics is real, and it's implementation is part of Valve's strategy to. They simply scratched the surface with Havoc in the original HL2.

Quote:
Make better games not useless add ons.

You can do both, and even if the PPU on pushed nV and ATi to add/consider better phsyics to their graphics options, that's a good thing.

Only a luddite would want technology to stop where it is, and only only a noob thinks that a current rig should be the gold standard for a long time to come. Games should always exploit what they can and move forward toward more realistic gaming, which doesn't just mean graphics, but everything.
May 10, 2007 8:42:02 PM

Quote:

No, because then games will have four threads and use all four cores. Like I said, the GPUs can do the physics, and as time goes on, GPUs will basically do what the Physx card does.

Thats just stupid.

Making games multi-threaded is completely worthless. All the CPU does is send the data over to the GPU for it to do all the work. If the CPU can manage 60 FPS u dont need anything else, and a single core can and has been doing that, so there is no need for games to be multi-threaded.

There IS a need however for physics, and thats EXACTLY what the other cores can do so that they dont just sit there collecting heat.

Are you serious? So all the CPU does is send data to the GPU? The GPU then is the one that calculates AI?
!