Sign in with
Your question

Noob question: ambient temperature considerations

Last response: in Overclocking
May 18, 2006 5:55:05 AM

I assume all heat measurements from Tom's articles are taken at room temp.

However say if I had varying temperatures outside, how should I work out if I need coolers and fans other than those supplied with CPU,GPU and case.

Say
outside temps
will that affect the CPU, GPU temps much????
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2006 6:01:10 AM

the ambient air temp does play a role in the temps of the comps components. Best thing you can do, is find a fan with the highest CFM, at the lowest DBA level for the amount you want to pay for the fan(s).
May 18, 2006 6:13:49 AM

Quote:
I assume all heat measurements from Tom's articles are taken at room temp.

However say if I had varying temperatures outside, how should I work out if I need coolers and fans other than those supplied with CPU,GPU and case.

Say
outside temps
will that affect the CPU, GPU temps much????

Yeah, i don't think they test their machines outside in the Hot sun in summer,

or -20 in winter. :? I think it's safe to say, that if they say ambient is 22,

they mean temp "around " the computer.
Related resources
May 18, 2006 6:42:46 AM

So are you all saying that for people like me who in places which are hot in summer, we should buy a better fan anyway, regardless of whether we OC or not.

Or will the box cooler still work. I assume Intel and AMD CPU fans are calibrated for normal room temp.
May 18, 2006 6:55:53 AM

Basically it depends on what you are willing to do. If your computer is running just a little hot but is still stable then the choice becomes one of preference. If it's so hot that your CPU is becoming unstable then you really don't have much choice and probably have to upgrade your HSF.

It was almost 90 where I live today but that was outside... my room was probably only 80 or so... I had no issues with temperature but then again I'm going to be switching to water cooling this month as a matter of both being able to OC and lower the sound.
!