1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
When i hear a "particular type", i think of- DDR, DDR2,SDRAM. So you

need DDR2 in your motherboard, but as far as overclocking the 805, i doubt

you'll get to/ much above 200 MHz FSB. So, you should probably be ok with

any DDR2 running at or above PC4200. Is that what you had in mind? :?

GL

Yaemish

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I read through all the threads and couldn't really find any straight answers for my questions. Sorry to hijack your thread but the world doesn't need another 805 thread.

I bought the 805 and the Asus P5P800 SE along with the Thermaltake big water. I was reading about power consumption and if this is going to use so much more juice than my AMD 3200XP did, I am not going to take it to the 4Ghz range. Instead I would be happy with 3.3-3.6 ghz.

Would 3.3.-3.6 be acheivable on the stock cooler? That way I can return my Thermaltake Big Water before I open it.

What kind of power will this thing be using at full load at 3.3-3.6 ghz? Is it something to be concerned about as far as the electricity bill?

I appreciate everyones' time.

3.3 might be do-able on stock cooling.... 3.6 most likely won't be though... but unless you're planning on going higher than 3.8, water cooling is not necessary for this chip. If you want a good aftermarket cooler which can handle the thermal output of the 805 at 3.6, go for the Zalman CNPS9500

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I read through all the threads and couldn't really find any straight answers for my questions. Sorry to hijack your thread but the world doesn't need another 805 thread.

I bought the 805 and the Asus P5P800 SE along with the Thermaltake big water. I was reading about power consumption and if this is going to use so much more juice than my AMD 3200XP did, I am not going to take it to the 4Ghz range. Instead I would be happy with 3.3-3.6 ghz.

Would 3.3.-3.6 be acheivable on the stock cooler? That way I can return my Thermaltake Big Water before I open it.

What kind of power will this thing be using at full load at 3.3-3.6 ghz? Is it something to be concerned about as far as the electricity bill?

I appreciate everyones' time.

It probably will use a fair bit more power than your 3200. Such a shame

Intel doesn't build it using the presler core (65nm). Then it WOULD be

the new king of O/C, and a wicked bang/buck. 905 anyone?

the TDP of the 805 @ 2.66 is 95W. Not sure what the TDP of the 3200 is... but i'd be willing to bet it's about the same, or a bit lower. Could I see Intel making a 905 chip? It's possible, but not likely with Conroe, Merom and Woodcrest so close. If they are planning a 905 chip, they are certainly keeping tight-lipped about it.

Yaemish

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Think ig, I don't want to buy a better cooler. I bought a watercooling systm but then I saw how much power it uses at 4.0 ghz, it just doesn't seem logical to go that route.

I haven't opened anything yet and will most likly send the watercooling system back. But if I am going to need the Zalmen to get 3.3, I prolly won't open the processor or the motherboard and will send those back as well.

Can anyone confirm that they have hit 3.3 ghz on the stock cooler?

Tacoboy

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
My D 805 runs fine overclocked to 3.32GHz using the stock Intel heatsink/fan & Artic silver 5
Usually stays around 45c for web browsing.